• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If no free dining, we may have the restaurants to ourselves!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, they all pretty much hate the DDP! At least all those that I have spoken to do.
People tend to undertip when they aren't paying for something. Not sure why that is, but it is.

Oh, how wonderful that would be!!

We just don't use the ddp anymore. I get the TiW card. Works much better for us. And that 'wonderful' free dining??? Hate it. All I know is that when we have been at WDW, during the summer and the first week of offered free dining??? I wanted to open a vein!!! I have never seen so many people in one place. After that first few weeks it seems to go back to normal but it's never the same as a period when free dining isn't offered.

I tend to go to the same places on each trip. And the one thing that I have noticed is that when free dining is offered, the more expensive places are full of families. When there is no free dining, they don't seem to be in evidence...at least not to the extent they are during free dining. Coral Reef has been a nightmare every single time we have been there during a free dining period. We no longer go if there's free dining!!

Everything now has a 'sameness' to it when it comes to food at WDW. And I blame the ddp for that. And free dining only made it worse.

I tip properly at WDW, but my cheap side always cringes, because I almost never dine at restaurants charging WDW prices when I'm at home. $20 tips still seem crazy to me, I'm used to more responsive wait staffs with meals /tips half that much.

DVC members have never been eligible for the "free" dining promotions. We have always had to pay for any dining plan we chose to add to a DVC reservation.

The posters are talking about the impact the cash package "free" diners have on the restaurants. Many blame free dining promotions for the perceived decrease in the quality of Disney food as well as for the "homogenization" of the menus.

So who is getting the free dining then? Anyone that books a package without DVC?

I had no idea. I feel completely stupid now. LOL That explains a lot actually.

I've noticed the quality of Disney food and service go down over the last several years.

So who is getting the free dining then? Anyone that books a package without DVC?

I had no idea. I feel completely stupid now. LOL That explains a lot actually.

I've noticed the quality of Disney food and service go down over the last several years.

Not everyone. FD requires a room at rack rate plus you have to but a day or 2 of park tickets. Some people choose to go with a discounted room and no dining. (An AP holder may not want more tickets, but some use them towards their next one). Plus Disney normally has a limit on the number of rooms available for any promo.

Not everyone. FD requires a room at rack rate plus you have to but a day or 2 of park tickets. Some people choose to go with a discounted room and no dining. (An AP holder may not want more tickets, but some use them towards their next one). Plus Disney normally has a limit on the number of rooms available for any promo.

Oooohhh, ok. That makes sense. I had no idea though. Duh. LOL That does kind of aggravate me though. They charge so much for their food, you expect it to be top notch. The quality has definitely gone down over the years. Whether it's due to this or something else, I don't know.

Personally, I blame the dining plan more than the "Free"..

You can also look at merchandise..it's homogenized (half the items are Disney Parks, not WDW) and lower quality than it used to be. I think that quality reduction is a general corporate theme..

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if free dining and the dining plan in general just went away. Just give people a room only discount and be done with it. I'm so tired of the sit down restaurants being so crowded that I'm forced to make all my reservations at the 180 day mark. I remember when I could call from my room and make reservations for the same day I wanted to dine, good luck trying to do that now. :crowded: :sad:

It certainly wouldn't hurt my feelings if free dining and the dining plan in general just went away. Just give people a room only discount and be done with it. I'm so tired of the sit down restaurants being so crowded that I'm forced to make all my reservations at the 180 day mark. I remember when I could call from my room and make reservations for the same day I wanted to dine, good luck trying to do that now. :crowded: :sad:

I agree wholeheartedly. As an "old timer" I remember when there was much more of a variety as well. The DP when first introduced was a good deal -- appetizer & tip included but now, not so much. But what most bothers me is the quality is not the same either.

Hello to a fellow Hoosier!

We were there last Thursday and Friday. I was shocked when I called WDW-DINE on Friday around 10AM and was able to get a 12:25 for three at Le Cellier! Surprisingly, there were several open tables while we were dining there. Maybe the change to signature has thinned out the demand a little at LeC. Of course, no FD last week. The service at LeC was MUCH better than on our visit in December, and the food was prepared extremely well, as opposed to the raw meat I was served in December.

Hello to a fellow Hoosier!

We were there last Thursday and Friday. I was shocked when I called WDW-DINE on Friday around 10AM and was able to get a 12:25 for three at Le Cellier! Surprisingly, there were several open tables while we were dining there. Maybe the change to signature has thinned out the demand a little at LeC. Of course, no FD last week. The service at LeC was MUCH better than on our visit in December, and the food was prepared extremely well, as opposed to the raw meat I was served in December.

:wave2:
That's great to hear! Maybe things are easing up a bit, just like our weather.:thumbsup2

This thread makes me sad. Last January my family and I took advantage of the free DDP. It was the only way we would be able to afford to visit the happiest place in earth. Disney has been increasing prices not only to maximize profits but to actually thin the attendance (they know its almost unbearable when the parks are full). But doing this prices some segments of the population out. Reading some of these comments hoping Disney cuts out the DDP so you can have a after experience means someone else just got priced out.

Financially, the free DDP is a better value for families of 4 than the room discount.

This thread makes me sad. Last January my family and I took advantage of the free DDP. It was the only way we would be able to afford to visit the happiest place in earth. Disney has been increasing prices not only to maximize profits but to actually thin the attendance (they know its almost unbearable when the parks are full). But doing this prices some segments of the population out. Reading some of these comments hoping Disney cuts out the DDP so you can have a after experience means someone else just got priced out.

Financially, the free DDP is a better value for families of 4 than the room discount.

I'm all for offering steeper room discounts. I think people are just tired of the restaurants being packed shoulder to shoulder from sun up to sun down. I certainly don't want anyone to be priced out of a Disney vacation but if Disney insists on continuing to offer this promotion they have got to do something about capacity and food quality. I think a lot more people dine strictly onsite now because with Magical Express nobody has a rental car anymore. Disney has created a captive audience who never leave their premises, this has resulted in a real strain on the dining venues.

Personally, I blame the dining plan more than the "Free"..

You can also look at merchandise..it's homogenized (half the items are Disney Parks, not WDW) and lower quality than it used to be. I think that quality reduction is a general corporate theme..
Agree. Homogenized is a great word to use here. You see it happening across the business world, and Disney is not immune. It is most noticeable in their dining and merchandise.

I can sympathize, I rarely ate table service because of the $$$ before the DDP (that included tip AND appetizer) Disney is crazy expensive. Part of the problem is is the lack of availability and the other part is reductions in food selection.

What if, during your trip, Disney offered "Free Theme Park admission" then you had to wait 2 hours for Dumbo and other previously reasonable rides, and then you find out that Disney reduced Wishes to 1 minute, and the 3:00 parade was just Goofy pulling Mickey in a red wagon, and Disney shut down the Yeti in EE (OK, they already did that ;). ).
You wind up with old timers recalling more magical dining experiences (that I used to avoid because of $$$ before the paid DDP)

My last 5 trips over 7 years have all come in either November or January. Neither of those months ,except for EC restaurants , have we had any problems getting a sit down meal with little or no advance planning. I am thinking most of these posts must be from folks who travel high traffic times.

We have never done the paid DDP or the free DDP because we don't like the restrictions that all of those reservations put on our park experience. We go to WDW because we love the parks! The reserved meals take a couple of hours per meal from the parks. We make a couple of dinner reservations for our trip and then eat at counter service locations for the rest of the time....much more affordable and much less stressful than running to get to a reservation.

I think Disney is doing the right 'thing' to make the experience right for the people who are there. When the parks are overcrowded, it makes the experience less for everyone.

Surely, the people who need 'free' DDP, can still come to WDW. All they need to do is stay off site, eat their breakfast in their hotel room and go to the counter service restaurants. I refuse to believe that without free DDP, it prices Disney out for some. If a person can afford to pay for the program, then they have enough money to figure out how to go to Disney without it. It may not be onsite and the sit down restaurants may not be so possible but it is still possible to go to WDW.

I think Disney is doing the right 'thing' to make the experience right for the people who are there. When the parks are overcrowded, it makes the experience less for everyone.

Surely, the people who need 'free' DDP, can still come to WDW. All they need to do is stay off site, eat their breakfast in their hotel room and go to the counter service restaurants.

This is one of the most elitist comments I've ever read on this post. It's discrimination in the guise of the idea that some people deserve a lesser experience than others.

This is one of the most elitist comments I've ever read on this post. It's discrimination in the guise of the idea that some people deserve a lesser experience than others.

Some people can afford a different experience than others. Is it elitist that Disney doesn't sell rooms at the Grand Floridian for the same rate that they sell them at AoA? It has nothing to do with deserve. Does it mean that I don't "deserve" to fly first class because I can't afford it?

Hmm, let's see. The first time I went to Disneyland I was five. We stayed in my family's used trailer and probably stayed no more than two days. We did not eat anywhere in the parks nor at any restaurant. All meals were taken in the trailer. Guess what? It was what my parents could afford at the time and I was grateful for the experience. The only negative memory I have is that Dumbo was closed to be refurbished and he was my favorite character.

The next time I got to go to Disneyland, I was seventeen. I went with a friend and her mother on their dime. It was a huge experience to buy a churro. I remember counting out my change and I am now 44.

At 24, I got married. For our honeymoon, we went to Disneyland. We opened our presents first before leaving on our trip because without the cash that our friends and family gave us, we would have had to cancel the trip. We stayed off site and I believe we ate one meal in the park on our two day trip.

Seven years later, and absolutely no vacations in between anywhere not even camping, we were finally able to go to WDW for the very first time. We stayed offsite in some dump that was closing for good the day after we left. We stayed for three days and ate off site. It was what we could afford and we had a blast.

Jump forward two years. We then had 1 eighteen month old child. We went with friends who had older children who insisted it was child abuse that we waited so long to go to Disney with him. This was our first onsite experience at any Disney resort and got us hooked.

Our next experience at WDW was when that child was 8. We stayed at the Port Orleans. We made this decision because it was what we could afford.

I have now been married for twenty years. We have worked hard for what we have.

Can I now afford to be a DVC member? Yes. Can I now afford to eat in the parks at the sit down restaurants? Yes. Does that make me better than the families that can't? No. It is with a lot of hard work, a lot of savings, a lot of luck and a lot of gratitude that I am able to to afford these things.

I love America because it allows you to pull yourself up to a higher standard if you work hard and stay focus. And believe me, we had to work. If it sounded like I had a fairly simple childhood, my husband ran away from home at seventeen because he was beaten with a stick for the smallest infraction and denied enough food to eat. He went on to finish high school on his own and got himself into college and paid for that too by himself. And when he was right in the middle of college a four ton fork lift at his work ran over his foot making him take a year off of college and go further into debt.

Do not call me an elitist. If a person can afford a deluxe resort, all it means is that they make more money and want to spend it there. The 'lesser experience' is in peoples' head. If someone believes that the experience they are having is less, it will be because they are ungrateful for what they can provide for themselves. The fact is that all of us on this website, no matter what our financial standing is, should be grateful that we have experience Disney.

It's a vacation, not a healthcare plan.

When I graduated from college I took what I could afford to and booked a Disney trip for my little sister, my 4yo son and I to head to Disney. We stayed in the Disney resort that was where SSR is now. I had less than $200 total to spend on food for the three of us for our trip. Needless to say, we did not eat out. We ordered up the worst pizza I've ever had to be delivered. In the June heat I bused/walked to/from the grocery store on the other end of hotel row so we could have milk and bread. We then lived off of cold pizza, cereal and peanut butter sandwiches for the next 5 days.

Did we have a 'lesser' dining experience? LOL. Of course we did, but I kept us within my means & It turned out to be one of the best trips ever. With the right combination of budgeting, planning and utilizing the discounts offered anyone can stay on disney property.

To this day I still travel frugally when it comes to dining. We carefully choose where we'd like to dine (using the TIW card usually, but not always) and most of the rest of our meals are in-room. My top reason for falling in love with DVC: kitchens and kitchenettes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter