• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If Mickey Cooks It, We Will Come.. And Eat It! (NEW: WCC, Tea, RFC, CM's, & More)

My mom just recently made rice krispies treats. I like the way she makes it, but there's just something about the Mickey shaped ones that makes me want to spend $3 on one too!

Glad you're feeling better! I totally understand the debilitating effects of sinus infections! Today's day 5 for my antibiotics because I have one now too. I've been so miserable for the past few days that even DIS didn't make me feel any better. That's how I knew I was REALLY sick! Haha.

Just recently added Le Chefs to our ADRs- looking forward to hearing your review of that one... and all of them for that matter! :goodvibes

Hi all! I hope those of you who subbed will find your way back here and read the rest of the reviews, and newbies will join in as well. Life has been very hectic and I continue to have really bad computer issues. I haven't been on the DIS since I posted the Roaring Fork Review.

Responding to replies now, and will post a Hollywood Brown Derby Review within the hour. I am so sorry so much has gotten in the way of my reviews.

Due to the new DIS guidelines about time, I'm going to do my best to rush the 2 dozen or so reviews I have left over the next week so this can be wrapped up. In other words, look for a couple of reviews per day, most likely. Will work out well because I'm due to take another WDW trip next month and will be saddled with more reviews and pics then! :rotfl2:

I'm here SD :) We've been to WGPE the past few times at DTD, I might have to go back to Earl...I forgot how tasty everything was!!!
Hey you! Glad to see you here! We tried WGPE when it was very new and didn't care for it much at the time. Earl is definitely one of my top places to eat in WDW. I especially love the bread. I wish there were more of these places throughout the country! Traveling 800 miles for a sandwich on a regular basis isn't really do-able for me. ;)

You're making me hungry!!:banana:
I think I'm making myself hungry, by re-living all that I ate that trip! And glad that I have since lost the weight I put on!

I am joining in!

We will be trying EOS on our arrival day in a few months....I can not wait....

I am a lover of Tomato Soup so glad they have that on the menu. I think I am planning to try "The Original" (minus the horseradish though).

Waiting patiently for the next installment.
If you've already been on your trip, I hope you had a blast! Let me know how you liked the soup! That's another item I'm drooling over as I am preparing for my next trip.

I love EOS! And I enjoyed eating outside. . .much less noise!
I think we've eaten outside once, back in 2006. All the other times we've snagged indoor seating due to the heat. It can be very noisy, though.

Joining in. Great review:thumbsup2
Thanks! Hope you find your way back to my little review for the rest.

I'm so in!!

Your review of EOS is making me want to try it.... again!!

There's an EOS in San Antonio, and I've eaten there twice, both times getting it to go and both times I wasn't impressed. I'm thinking my mistake has got to be the To Go part... or the not eating it in Disney World part?? :rolleyes: Disney World makes everyting taste better!!

Can't wait for more reviews! LOVE your format and attention to detail!!
Thanks for the compliments! It's possible the quality could be higher at the WDW location. I've never been to the one in TX (or TX period, for that matter!). I think as with most places a lot of the quality depends on who is working there.

:thumbsup2Great review

In all my trips to WDW I have never eaten at Ear:confused3 , I know shame on me. On our upcoming trip we are going to have to eat there, everything looks so yummo!!

Can't wait to read more!
Thanks! If you've already been, hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

I'm loving your food report - can't wait to read about everything else!!
Thank you! Hope you forgive me for the long delays.

What a great review of EOS
I have never been but I am determined to make it for my next visit
I have my eye on the veggie sandwich :banana:
That sounds fairly good to me too. I'm not much of a veggie sandwich person, but if Earl makes it, I'd probably like it!

Loving your review!
Thanks a bunch!

count me in!
Hope you're still in!

I haven't eaten at EoS for a while now, but this review is making me feel that I need to make it there at least once on my trip in January! I want to try the Hawaiian BBQ sandwich with the pineapple and coconut smoothie... yum!! Looks fantastic. Great reviews so far, subscribing for the rest! :thumbsup2
That was a particularly good sandwich, smoothie pairing, I thought. My dad isn't a food connoisseur or a chef, but he has pretty good taste. Mine is better though, I think. ;)

count me in. I love the details and pictures of your review.
Thank you very much! Look for many more pics to follow.

I can't wait to read the rest of your dining reviews. I love your rating system, doesn't hurt that Donald is one of my favorite Disney characters. ;)

Enjoyed your review of EoS. Those smoothies look really good. I'm like your mom, I don't like too much coconut in my smoothie.
Hooray for a fellow Duck lover! I haven't tried many smoothies on property, but those are particularly yummy.

I'm sure enjoying your reviews and pictures. Keep them coming!
Glad you enjoyed them. Hope you're still around to read the rest!

Joining in! can't wait to hear more!:thumbsup2
Thanks!

:thumbsup2 Great so far!!!!!
Thanks a bunch!

I'm in :thumbsup2 Great EOS review, now I'm craving it! Can't wait for the rest.
Maybe my food reviews should come with a warning? ;)

I need to eat at Earl of Sandwich again, their sandwiches are so yummy. :goodvibes
Yes, do! They are great. Not that expensive, in terms of WDW food, either.

Our family is from MD and we drove down overnight Friday-Saturday...took 2 days to drive home though. Loving your review so far, and the pictures are great.

I am hoping to fly this year!
Would you believe I have never been on an airplane? We've always driven everywhere for trips, even as far as Boston. And that was before I became a total chicken at the mere idea of flying. Oh well! At least there's yummy food at the long road that is I-95 (and then I-4)!

sign me up! lots of places we'll be at in may and november!!
Glad I can hopefully be of help for your upcoming trips!

" Yah, we do hope for these!.."
Thanks for reading!

Hi Sorcerer! I read the reviews you've written so far after finding it today, and I'm already looking forward to more! It's funny because even to this day, any time we see anything related to Donald, Weird and I both go, "Sorcerer would like this." It's a given! Hope you've been doing well :)
Hey friend! Hope you and Weird are doing great! Miss you both, and glad to know you still think of me. :goodvibes Hope you'll find my review once again!

Ohh great reviews! Look forward to the rest!:thumbsup2
Thanks! Love your screenname, btw! Cute!

Loving your report so far! I can't wait to read more! popcorn::
Thanks very much!

Hope you can make it back soon- great start so far! :goodvibes
Maybe not soon, but I made it back! Small miracles and all. Thanks for reading.

Great reviews so far, can't wait to read more. :)
Thanks!

My mom just recently made rice krispies treats. I like the way she makes it, but there's just something about the Mickey shaped ones that makes me want to spend $3 on one too!

Glad you're feeling better! I totally understand the debilitating effects of sinus infections! Today's day 5 for my antibiotics because I have one now too. I've been so miserable for the past few days that even DIS didn't make me feel any better. That's how I knew I was REALLY sick! Haha.
Oh, I'm sorry! Hopefully it's all cleared up now! I continue to battle problems. Only Florida heat seems to fix mine nowadays (and sadly, that's not a joke!).

Really excited about hearing more
Thanks! Hope you make it back here.

Just recently added Le Chefs to our ADRs- looking forward to hearing your review of that one... and all of them for that matter! :goodvibes
That one will be coming soon! After HBD will be Pizza Planet, Coral Reef, and then Chefs. Look for it tomorrow or Sunday!

Subbing. Great report so far. Can't wait for more pictures.
Thanks!

Signing on!
Hope you sign back on!

Can't wait to here more!!
Thanks a bunch!

Thanks again to all for following along, and for your patience and understanding. Look for the next review within a half hour or so.

Where I last left off, we had arrived at Wilderness Lodge and gotten some snacks from Roaring Forks. The next day was our full Hollywood Brown Derby day.

Since 2006, we have eaten lunch at HBD every trip. We wound up here in the first place due to the horror that is DHS' counter service locations. I'm especially looking at you, ABC Commissary! We were surprised how much we liked it way back then, and have been there 3 times since. I know some people are wary of Brown Derby due to the cost or use of 2 Dining Credits, but it is very easy to eat cheaply here at lunch if you don't mind a lighter meal. :earsgirl: and I are especially light eaters, so we don't have any problems at all.

After a few activities at the Studios, it was time for our ADR.

DSC03845.jpg

DSC03846.jpg

I believe it was for either 2:10pm or 2:15pm. We arrived about 5 minutes before 2pm, and found it to be as fairly empty as it usually is when we go. We eat here roughly the same time each year, so I'm not sure if it's just a time thing, the lunch factor, or the time of year.

DSC03870.jpg

According to my photo info., we were seated and looking at the menu within 5 minutes. Here was the menu at the time of our ADR, and the view from our table:

DSC03848-1.jpg

DSC03855.jpg

DSC03852-1.jpg

Again, I am a creature of (food) habit, so my meal (and subsequently my mom's) has stayed the same since we first came here. :goofy: 's meal had to change from the coconut shrimp, which he loved, due to some cholesterol issues. So he was the only one among us who really needed a menu. I pretty much knew what I was eating everywhere before we even walked in the door. I'm special that way.

The Reviews:

Dinner rolls:

DSC03858.jpg

As always, once your order has been placed (or at the time of, I can't recall anymore!), the waiter brings you a basket of rolls. I'm not sure if these are made by Disney or frozen or what, but they're always very good. A little on the hard side, but warm and yummy nonetheless. I believe these are the same ones served at Chefs de France over in Epcot, but don't quote me on that.

Again going by photo information, we placed our order at 2pm and by 2:13pm, our food was on the table. High marks for prompt service! I don't like sitting around and waiting hours on end anywhere in WDW (California Grill, I am looking at you; that disaster of a review will come later), so I appreciated this.

:earsgirl: and I, as always, ordered a Cobb Salad to share:

DSC03860.jpg

The menu describes this as follows: "Our Famous Brown Derby Cobb Salad - with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, egg, bacon, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives and Cobb dressing $15"

When you're splitting it between two people, if you're on a budget, the cost is not bad at all. You're looking at roughly the price of two CS meals, and this is much healthier (and yummier, IMO) anyway. Neither :earsgirl: nor myself can stand bleu cheese, so we got our salad without that. Also got the Cobb Dressing on the side. I am incredibly picky about salad dressing, and only eat Italian or Caesar. So, here comes an embarassing admission in my dining review: I always bring my own Italian salad dressing with me in little containers to WDW whenever I know I'll be eating a salad. I can't stand any kind of the vinaigrette dressings most WDW restaurants have, and I don't like "strange" dressings either. Since I hate dry salad, that is my solution to the problem. Oddball, but hey, you do what ya gotta do!

The salad was delicious, as it always is. Between the two of us, we still had some left for :goofy: to eat. The greens and tomatoes are fresh. No wilted or bad lettuce or anything here, ever. Crispy but not greasy bacon. Perfect boiled and crumbled eggs. Moist and flavorful turkey. Really a great lunch, and one of my favorite menu items in all of WDW. Nice change from all the fried stuff, beef, and pork.

My dad ordered this for a change, the Sweet Zellwood Corn Chowder with Applewood Smoked Bacon and Ancho Chili Oil ($9):

DSC03861.jpg

He had never eaten anything but the Coconut Shrimp here, so he wasn't sure what to get. He finally guessed and tried this since he likes corn a lot. He loved it! I don't think I've ever heard him rave about a meal in WDW before, but he said several times that this was great and he really enjoyed it. That's high praise. Even when he likes something, he's not usually very vocal about it. Said it was very flavorful and heated well. I didn't try any, but it looked good!

To wrap up our meal, we ordered one piece of the infamous Grapefruit Cake, described as yellow cake with cream cheese grapefruit filling ($7):

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03866.jpg

I know I've read some reviews where the cake was really dry and not much flavor to it, but we've always been fortunate with this dessert. As always, it was very moist and flavorful. I'm not a grapefruit fan really, but I love this cake. It has just enough *zing* to it to give it flavor, but not so much that you feel like you're chowing down on an actual grapefruit. I love cream cheese too, so it works well IMO. One of my favorite desserts in WDW, if not my absolute favorite. Heaven on a plate!

We were finished and out the door by about 2:50pm, about 35 minutes after we were served our meals.

DSC03869.jpg

The Ratings:

Food: 5x :donald: I can't say anything but great things about their food. Light lunch, but filling for me and very delicious. In four years and four meals, I've never had bad food here. And when you compare it to Studios' CS, well... I might as well be on my hands and knees kissing the ground of this place. Light years improvement compared to that food.

Atmosphere:
5x :donald: I love the atmosphere here. Love looking at the caricatures on the walls, the light fixtures, all of it. You very much do feel like you're in the middle of Old Hollywood. I also love the quiet!

Cost: 5x :donald: For what we ordered and the quality, I think the cost is very reasonable. Would have spent roughly this much on a CS meal for food that wasn't nearly as good.

OVERALL: :donald: :donald: :donald: :donald: :donald: The best DHS table service restaurant in terms of food, hands down. Wonderful "escape" restaurant. I can't wait to return, and recommend it highly to those on a budget who are willing to eat lightly. It can be done!

Up Next: A pit stop at the dreaded ABC Commissary, and dinner at Toy Store Pizza Planet.

Until Next Time,

~Sorcerer Donald~​

Day 2 "Snack": ABC Commissary

After our light lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby, we spent the next few hours doing attractions and shows and such. Eventually I got really thirsty and found myself closest to *dun dun dun* ABC Commissary.

DSC04369.jpg

As mentioned before, I truly hate this place. Many years ago, it wasn't that bad. But somewhere between my 2001 trip and my 2004 trip, something went wonky because the quality took a nosedive. My lunch there in 2005 was the last straw, and I said "Never again!" Somehow the food had managed to become a disaster. I've had food there that was partially lukewarm and partially cold. Part soggy, and part a crispy, greasy mess. I don't know what has happened to this place, but it is on my "NO" list indefinitely.

However, I figured it's pretty close to impossible to mess up a simple soda, so in I went. It was also pouring rain at this point (the start of the May 2009 monsoon), so the fact that it was indoors was a plus. Here are the cute Celebrate Today cups:

DSC04371-1.jpg

I won't be rating ABC Commissary since I only got a soda here. Let's just say if I was rating the food, it would likely be receiving negative :donald: scores. ;)

Day 2 Dinner: Toy Story Pizza Planet

By the time we felt hungry for dinner, it was around 8pm. We had just gotten out of Muppet-Vision 3D, so the most logical place to eat was Pizza Planet.

DSC04411.jpg

We used to eat here all the time, but lately we've either eaten TS at the Studios for dinner, or not eaten dinner here at all and gone on to another park or DTD for dinner. I used to love WDW pizza, but around the time Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland Terrace closed and turned into the Noodle Station is when I felt all CS pizzas got progressively worse. Tomorrowland had the best in my mind, but the others were passable. Now they're verging on inedible. They're either a greasy mess or they taste worse than your average frozen pizza. So this was my first try eating "regular" (aka non-TS) pizza at WDW since either 2005 or 2006. That was when I was scared away from it thanks to Pinocchio's Village Haus. I was afraid. Very afraid. :scared1:

They were about to close, and we barely got in the door before they locked it for the night. The rain was absolutely pouring down and had been since before the pitstop at ABC Commissary. When we went in Muppet-Vision 3D, we were already soaked and they had the air blasting. Umbrellas only did so much good, and we didn't have ponchos at that point. So I was already cold and wet before setting foot in Pizza Planet. It seriously felt like it was in the 40s in there, it was so cold. So, we had a choice. Indoor freezing seating, or covered outdoor seating. We had no choice really but to sit outdoors. The problem was it was also getting windy, so the rain blew at us off and on anyway. And anytime anyone opened a door to leave Pizza Planet, a gush of freezing air would hit us in the face. I had on a halter top and shorts. Big mistake. :earsgirl: was in a state, saying she knew I'd get sick. I dismissed it as her worrying too much. Well, :earsgirl: was right. Big surprise there! :rotfl: I should know better by now because 99 times out of 100, she is right. The Pizza Planet meal was not only not that great, but I also wound up with a terrible soar throat the next day. I only got even sicker as the days went on. I will spare y'all the details, but it was not fun and I was stuck in the room quite a bit for about 4 days, save for mealtimes. Needless to say my atmosphere rating is going to be low on this place! :headache:

The Reviews:

In terms of the food, :earsgirl: and I each ordered a cheese pizza ($5.99 each):

DSC04412.jpg

I find with Disney CS pizza, you have to look at the bright side or else you'll get bad-food induced dining depression. On the upside, it was not overly greasy and it was hot. So, they've got the Village Haus beat on that front. On the downside, it's pretty bland. The cheese was good (I love cheese!), but otherwise, nothing to get too excited about. An "eh" reaction was far better than I expected to have, though. :earsgirl: said it was good, but she was too cold to really enjoy it.

:goofy: got the Pepperoni Pizza ($6.29):

DSC04413.jpg

He didn't really have much to say about this. Said it wasn't as bad as the Village Haus' version was a few years back, and in particular it wasn't greasy. Overall, he thought it was "okay" and "just pizza."

We also ordered regular or medium sized Cokes, whatever they're called. Same size as the one I got before at ABC Commissary. And as strange as it sounds, I don't think I have EVER gotten a cookie in WDW before. I'd read good things on the DIS about the sugar cookies, so I got one to save and eat during Fantasmic!

My sugar cookie, in a nifty little pouch for easy "travel" ($1.79):

DSC04472.jpg

I was very impressed by this. I'm picky about sugar cookies, and I thought this was the best one I've ever had. It was very moist, but still a little crisp to it too. Great flavor, very fresh. I'm getting hungry just remembering it!

The Ratings:

Food: 2x :donald: I'd give it a three just for not being as awful as I expected it to be, but that's letting Disney off the hook. They really need to get their collective acts together on the CS pizza. A "It wasn't as awful as I thought it'd be" review shouldn't pass for a "good" review!

Atmosphere: I'm giving this two ratings. For the theme and motif, I give the indoors a 4x :donald: . If you or your children love Toy Story, this is a cool place to go. However, for the reality of the situation I experienced, I give it a 1x :donald: . I realize it's Florida and it's hot. But when it's already probably in the 60s, and it's pouring down raining, should you really have the AC set so the average person needs a parka, knit hat, and wool gloves? I don't think so. I felt like I had taken a detour and wound up in Alaska. :eek:

Cost: 3x :donald: For Disney CS food, the price was reasonable. Not the best value, but on par with the average CS meal.

OVERALL: 2x :donald: If it hadn't been for the AC issue and the rain, I would have given it a 2 and a half. There was truly no need in that, and no excuse for the pizza being so "blah" either. I'll eat here again if I have to, but I'll probably bring a sweater for me and some garlic powder or something for my pizza with me!

Up Next: Day 3 lunch, Coral Reef at Epcot!

Great reports and pics:)

Thanks! Hope you enjoy the rest as well.

Yummy! I really wanted to try that corn chowder, but they didn't have it when Weird and I went this past Friday. They had an asparagus soup instead. I wish I enjoyed the Cobb salad more than I did though. I was looking forward to it so much, but I wasn't feeling very well so it wasn't really the best experience.

Day 3 Lunch at Coral Reef

With our first full day of Disney Dining now safely (and sadly!) in the rear view mirror, we turned our attention to Epcot and the yumminess that theme park entails. When I was little, I hated Epcot. I hated shopping, and I felt like that was all it was about. Fast forward 17 years, and it is my favorite park next to Magic Kingdom. Partially because of the food! This trip, we scheduled 3 ADRs for Epcot restaurants: Coral Reef, Les Chefs de France, and Le Cellier. Day 3 featured lunch at Coral Reef and dinner at Chefs.

We arrived at the park around 11am for our 11:35am ADR. We had plenty of time when we actually got to the park, but we got stuck in what looked like the world's longest bag check line ever. And next thing you know, we're practically running through Future World to get to Coral Reef. We made it there with one minute to spare! We had never eaten here before, and I wasn't even sure where it was. Thankfully, they have this handy dandy sign outside of The Seas:

DSC04697.jpg

We had a little bit of a wait for our table, but it was fine by me. I loved the waiting area! I had become oddly fascinated with light fixtures, carpets, and floor tile this trip, so I spent the time just looking around. It's a cool looking place! You really do feel like you're underwater.

DSC04698.jpg

DSC04702.jpg

When we were seated about fifteen minutes later, I was downright giddy to find we had a tank table! We got the first one by the tank, if you're looking down into the restaurant from the waiting area. Here's a few pics of the view:

DSC04703.jpg

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04710.jpg

I am not a seafood person, but I do like salmon and tuna. We were all planning on getting the BBQ Salmon Sandwich. However, I can't eat Pepper Jack Cheese, and that was the cheese served on this sandwich. I wanted cheese on it, but not that cheese. Unfortunately, they didn't have any other kind to put on it. So, I started scouring the menu for something else. I decided to go with the Mushroom Lasagna, since I love lasagna. Our waitress warned me it would not look anything like typical lasagna, but that was what it was. That sounded rather ominous, but I ordered it anyway.

While waiting for our entrees, I took some pictures of the restaurant. It is really a nice place, but I don't think I'd like sitting way in the back. Seems like it'd be hard to see.

Here is the entrance/exit into the dining room:

DSC04715.jpg

If I turned directly to my left, this was the view I had of the other tables in the restaurant:

DSC04716.jpg

And here was part of our table. They gave us a nifty little fish identification guide, which I enjoyed looking through.

DSC04718.jpg

The Reviews:

While we waited for our food to be brought out, our waitress brought us a basket consisting of a very large and fairly hard roll, along with some olive oil-based dipping sauce of some sort.

DSC04712.jpg

I can't recall what type of dipping sauce it was, to be honest. I do remember it had a good flavor to it. The bread was good, and if I recall correctly, it was some type of sourdough bread. It had a very flakey crust to it though, and it was not easy to cut through. Crumbs went flying everywhere as we tried to break and cut it into three pieces. I'd much rather they deliver this pre-sliced or in individual portions than the way they did it. Good, but kind of a pain to deal with.

About 20 minutes later, our entrees arrived. They were incredibly busy, so the delay didn't surprise me. This is one place I didn't mind being slowed down at, because I loved looking at the fish!

As mentioned before, I ordered the Wild Mushroom Lasagna. It is described on the menus as "Wild Mushroom Lasagna: Roasted wild mushrooms, wilted Arugula and spinach, fontina, parmesan, mascarpone, and ricotta cheese, rustic tomato ragout." It cost $15.99 at the time, I believe. Here is a pic with the flash:

DSC04723.jpg

This definitely looked strange, but it tasted great! Basically the filling is inside a "pouch" of pasta and cooked like that. The only problem is the very top part of the pasta was incredibly hard and overcooked. I've seen others on the DIS write about having the same problem with this dish. For me, it was only the top part of the pasta that was overcooked, so I was not really concerned about it. Just ate around that part. The lasagna itself was delicious! I loved the flavors and the mushroom component. I even liked the spinach part of it! The tomato sauce was very good as well, and I'm picky about sauces. I am a lasagna lover, and this was the best lasagna I've ever had. Then again, I love mushrooms, so that could be part of it.

:goofy: ordered the BBQ Salmon Sandwich with field greens, Pepper Jack cheese, tomato, and some type of potato salad. This is missing from current menus, so I'm not sure if they still offer it. At the time it cost either $14.99 or $15.99. Here is his:

DSC04720.jpg

He seemed to enjoy this. Said the salmon was fresh, and the BBQ sauce and the Pepper Jack cheese added a nice mix of flavors. He liked the potato salad as well, but didn't go into detail about it.

:earsgirl: ordered her sandwich without the cheese and with the BBQ sauce on the side. She doesn't care for most BBQ sauces. Here's her sandwich:

DSC04722.jpg

She didn't care for the BBQ sauce, so she ate the sandwich plain. Naturally, that led to the problem of it being too dry. In hindsight, she should have asked if they had tartar sauce or something else for it, but none of us thought of that. She too said the salmon was very fresh, however. She didn't care for the potato salad. I believe she said it had too many odd flavorings and spices to it.

I tried a little of this just to see what it was like, and apparently the only salmon I like is of the frozen variety! It must kill some of the flavor. They were both right, it was very fresh. It had a very fresh and subsequently very fishy taste to it. Way too fishy for me! I was so happy I didn't get this and got the lasagna instead. I would not have liked this at all.

On a humorous note, right after our food was delivered, a ray swam over and parked him or herself on the tank bottom right beside our table. First he stared at :earsgirl: and her food. Then he turned and stared at mine. After apparently deciding he did not like salmon or Mushroom Lasagna, he turned his attention to the table behind us and stared at them once their food was delivered. It was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time at WDW. I'm guessing he's either a very curious ray, or it was past his mealtime! :lmao:

DSC04719.jpg

DSC04721.jpg

DSC04725.jpg

After we finished our entrees, we asked to see the dessert menu. Here it is from that day:

DSC04733.jpg

I was so disappointed in this. We don't drink or eat anything with alcohol in it, so the Wave and the Mousse were both out. I've never cared for Creme Brulee, so that was out too. That left a no sugar added strawberry cheesecake (blech) for $7.99, or tropical fruit with mango sorbet and a tiny cookie for $7.99. I love sorbet, and I love anything mango-flavored. But I had already seen this dessert on the DIS and knew it consisted of only about one scoop of sorbet with just a few pieces of fruit. Someone nearby ordered it, and it was the same as the pics I had seen on here. Now, I understand in Disney you're a captive dining audience. But 8 bucks for one scoop of sorbet and a couple pieces of fruit? Really? As much as I wanted to try it, for me the principle of the matter won out and I passed on dessert. We all did, for that matter.

The Ratings:

Food: 3 and a 1/2x :donald: I have to give my lasagna a 4/5. What dragged my rating down was the fact that they had no other cheeses for the sandwich, the potato salad was kind of blah, and the bread situation. Plus the dessert menu was not exactly what we were expecting. I am hopeful the lasagna stays on the menu forever, though! I'd really like to try that again.

Atmosphere: 4x :donald: What can you say about this place? It's a unique place to eat, and very beautiful. My main criticism is it sure isn't quiet. The roar in there sounded akin to Tomorrowland Speedway at times!

Cost: 3x :donald: I'm torn on how to rate this. The lasagna was fairly priced. I thought the sandwiches were overpriced, even for WDW. And I still can't get past the $8 for a scoop of sorbet!

OVERALL:
3 and a 1/4 :donald: I think I recommend this place for the setting more than anything else. I loved my meal, but if I didn't like lasagna and still hated seafood, I'd have a problem. I'd say everyone should try this once just to see it, and then draw your own conclusions on the food.

Up Next: Day 3 pitstop at Club Cool, and Dinner at Les Chefs de France!

Until Next Time,
~Sorcerer Donald~

Yummy! I really wanted to try that corn chowder, but they didn't have it when Weird and I went this past Friday. They had an asparagus soup instead. I wish I enjoyed the Cobb salad more than I did though. I was looking forward to it so much, but I wasn't feeling very well so it wasn't really the best experience.

Hey Ninja! I'm sorry you weren't feeling well; salad and sickness don't tend to go very well together, I agree. Not sure how I would feel about asparagus soup. Okay, yes I am. I'd run the other way in hiding! :rotfl: That doesn't sound good to me at all. Thanks for continuing to follow along. :goodvibes

Day 3 Pitstop: Club Cool

Because I have a decent number of pics from my dinner at Les Chefs de France, I'm putting Club Cool in a separate post. It's not so much a "dining" review as it is a recap and overview, and a review of a few of the sodas.

Here is the exterior signage of Club Cool, located in Future World at Epcot:

DSC04788.jpg

If you're walking through FW, this is going to be to your right, not too far before you get to the bridge to World Showcase. When you go in, you go down a couple of steps and there is Coca-Cola merchandise for sale, as well as (I believe) frozen Cokes. The main attraction though is the freebie soda machines, titled "Flavors Around The World"!

I've been to World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta, and I don't even recall them having anything like this. They have machines with free samples of American products, but at least back around 2003, they didn't have samples from other countries. So as far as I know, this is truly a unique experience in Epcot!

The decorations in the building are very bright and colorful, especially the ceiling decorations:

DSC04785.jpg

DSC04786.jpg

But the real fun is the drink stations! Here is an example of one:

DSC04784.jpg

The Ratings and The Reviews:

I've tried most of these drinks over the years, so I'll give some mini-reviews.

krest Ginger Ale from Mozambique: 4x :donald: I'm not a regular Ginger Ale drinker, but to me this tastes stronger than typical American brands of Ginger Ale. It's good. I actually like this better than American Ginger Ale.

Fanta Kolita from Costa Rica: 3x :donald: Described as sugar cane, water, and real fruit flavor. I don't recall what flavor this had, other than it tastes like typical Fanta soft drinks to me.

Beverley from Italy: Rating N/A. Thankfully, I know better than to try this! A bitter soda doesn't exactly sound very appetizing to me!

Mezzo Mix from Germany: 5x :donald: This is in a tie for my favorite Club Cool soda. It's a mix of Coca-Cola and Orange flavoring. When I was little, I would mix 3/4 of a cup of Coca-Cola with a 1/4 of a cup of orange soda. I guess I'm a trend setter! ;) I love Cherry Coke more than any other soda, but if this were for sale in the States, I'd like this more. Neat mix of flavors.

VegitaBeta from Japan: Rating N/A. Described as a health soda packed with vitamins. It didn't sound particularly appetizing, so I've never tried this.

kinley from Israel: 4x :donald: A mix of lemon, water, and honey. I hate honey and am mildly allergic to it, but I can't taste any in this drink. To me it's like a stronger version of Sprite. I actually like this better than Sprite, as well.

Lift from Mexico: 3x :donald: Water flavored with fruit juices and sugar. From what I remember, this tasted almost like a carbonated fruit punch. Fine, but nothing that exciting.

Smart from China: 5x :donald: This is my other favorite, watermelon soda. It is fabulous! I can't quite figure out why nothing like this has caught on or been regularly produced in the U.S. It's really flavorful, and really good. Unusual.

Overall: 5x :donald: Can't really give this ratings in the usual way, but it's a great place to visit. And, it's FREE! :rotfl: My only complaint is I wish they sold small bottles of these sodas so you could take them home with you! That's likely a Coca-Cola issue though, and not something Disney could control. Actually, I have two complaints. The other is the sticky floors! If you decide to visit Club Cool, please watch your step. Naturally plenty of people spill sodas everywhere, and the floors are almost always very sticky. Easy to trip or slip, so be careful!

Up Next: Dinner at Les Chefs de France!

I can't believe you didn't try Beverly!!! Everyone has to try it at least once. I have the best picture of dd11 taking a drink of it last summer. It was absolutely hilarious!!! And I agree with you on the Krest Ginger Ale, I really like it. It is definitely stronger than our regular ginger ale.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!!!

What a great shot of the Club Cool sign! I like that it's not straight on.

My favorite is actually the Mexico one. I think it's because I used to always put seltzer in my fruit punch when I was little! I loved the carbonation, but I didn't want to keep drinking soda so my mom started getting me seltzer instead.

I agree with the sticky floors! But I don't feel so bad there because at least I know WHY the floors are sticky! If I were elsewhere, I'd be EXTREMELY grossed out!

Love all the reviews. I have never eaten at Hollywood Brown Derby because I thought it would be super expensive. I could definitely go and eat one of those Cobb salads!! That looks yummy! Thanks for showing the menu!

Update: I'm currently working on the Les Chefs de France review. Will be posted sometime tonight! :wizard:

I can't believe you didn't try Beverly!!! Everyone has to try it at least once. I have the best picture of dd11 taking a drink of it last summer. It was absolutely hilarious!!! And I agree with you on the Krest Ginger Ale, I really like it. It is definitely stronger than our regular ginger ale.

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!!!
I have enough problems on vacation getting used to the food because we rarely eat out, so I don't want to add bitter Beverly to my problems! ;) Maybe some day, though! Krest is very good; wish they sold it here! Thanks for reading along!

What a great shot of the Club Cool sign! I like that it's not straight on.

My favorite is actually the Mexico one. I think it's because I used to always put seltzer in my fruit punch when I was little! I loved the carbonation, but I didn't want to keep drinking soda so my mom started getting me seltzer instead.

I agree with the sticky floors! But I don't feel so bad there because at least I know WHY the floors are sticky! If I were elsewhere, I'd be EXTREMELY grossed out!
Funny back story to the Club Cool picture. I think I actually took that after we left. I realized I had forgotten a "sign" pic, so I just turned around, looked up, pointed and clicked, and then kept walking. I got a neat angle by accident. :rotfl: Agreed on the floors; it's really gross, but understandable. Neat story about why you like the Mexico one! I'm not a huge soda drinker myself, either.

Love all the reviews. I have never eaten at Hollywood Brown Derby because I thought it would be super expensive. I could definitely go and eat one of those Cobb salads!! That looks yummy! Thanks for showing the menu!
A lot of the entrees are expensive (to me, anyway), but it is definitely possible to enjoy a great, light meal here without breaking the bank! Before tax and tip, our bill was only $31. I tried to take menu pics as often as I could remember to, because I know I appreciate things like that here on the DIS. I like knowing what I'm getting into food-wise and cost-wise ahead of time. Glad you're enjoying the reviews!

I LOVE the China one!1 AWSOME!
Great minds think alike! :wizard: Thanks for reading!

Day 3 Dinner at Les Chefs de France

After a decent to great lunch at Coral Reef, it was time to switch gears from a new, first time restaurant visit to our family's favorite WDW restaurant, Les Chefs de France.

DSC04956.jpg

WDW is very much a family vacation for us, and Chefs is our "family" restaurant. It was the first WDW TS restaurant the three of us ever ate at together, way back in 1993 on my first trip. We did not go to Epcot in 1996, so we did not eat there that year. Our 2005 trip was the year we walked up to Chefs as always on two different days only to find they were booked solid. That's what started our use of ADRs. I particularly was heartbroken about it, and I promised myself I'd never end up in that situation again. We have eaten dinner at Chefs at some point during all of our other trips, adding up to a total of 9 dinners here. I love the atmosphere, I love the food, I love it all! I don't particularly love the wait, though! Sometimes even with an ADR, there's a hefty wait time here. No problems like that this time, thankfully. We were seated and given menus within ten minutes.

DSC04958.jpg

By and large, Chefs is another place where we have a set order that we pretty much stick to every trip. :earsgirl: and I always get the French Onion Soup, while :goofy: either gets that or the Lobster bisque. We almost always get at least one dessert. The last couple of years, we've also added something extra to split between the three of us. 2008 was the Gratin de Macaroni entree. Wasn't sure if I wanted to get that again or order something else, so we browsed the menus for a little while. Here is the menu as it was that night:

DSC04960-1.jpg

DSC04961-1.jpg

DSC04962-1.jpg

And here is a shot of my view of the restaurant, when looking to my left:

DSC04963.jpg

The Reviews:

After some thought, we placed our orders and were served very quickly. First up was dinner rolls:

DSC04965.jpg

Again, I believe these are the same as the ones served at Brown Derby. Regardless of whether they're frozen and pre-made or not, they're very good. A little on the hard side on the outside, but soft on the inside. A little flakey on the outside. Good flavor, and a good thing to munch on while you wait for your actual meals.

This time we all ordered the "Soupe a l'oignon gratinee." This is their classic French Onion Soup, using Gruyere cheese. At the time, one bowl cost $6.50. Here is a picture of mine:

DSC04967.jpg

If you like cheese, and can stand onions (I love them), this is for you! While you may need to schedule an artery de-clogging procedure after your meal, this is fabulous. As much as I love cheese, I'm not the best at describing it, but I'll try! Gruyere is a strong, flavorful cheese. It's not bitter, but it definitely has some "umph" to it, and much more flavor than, say, Mozarella. If you try to buy it in the grocery store, at least around here, it's very expensive. The soup has some type of bread in it, and obviously has some type of beef bouillon in it as well. Most importantly to my cheese loving self, it has a ton of cheese in it! Lots of fresh onion as well. It's just amazing. I want to drool just thinking about this! I've tried the French Onion Soup at all of the French restaurants around here, and I have yet to find anything on par with Chefs' version. It is probably my favorite food item in all of WDW. To me, because there is so much cheese, it's incredibly filling. There's no way I could eat this and an entree. Same for :earsgirl: and :goofy: They both loved the soup as well, and gave it comments similar to mine. The soup takes me a long time to eat though because it's brought out boiling hot. If I eat anything hot, I get a soar throat. We would finish meals here even faster if not for me.

No one else really had an opinion on our extra food, so it was up to me to pick something. Because last time the combo of the French Onion Soup with Gruyere and the Macaroni entree with Gruyere was just too much cheese to the point of being nauseating, I decided we would try one of the flatbreads instead to go with our soups. We ordered this at the same time we ordered the soup, and they were all brought out within a couple minutes of each other. And kudos to our waitress for asking when we wanted everything brought out! Not all of the waitstaff in WDW does that.

I mulled it over and decided to order the onion and bacon, brick oven-cooked flatbread, an Alsace province specialty. The menus describes this as "a la Flame Alsacienne - Alsace specialty. Flatbread baked with creme fraiche, onion and bacon." At the time of our meal, it cost $9.95. Here is a picture before we dove in:

DSC04966.jpg

I took one bite and :scared1: . Oh dear. I had now found yet another "Must Have!" WDW food item. Before I know it, I'll need an extra stomach to eat all of my "Must Haves" on any given trip. I had no Earthly clue what creme fraiche was at the time, although it sure tasted good! Looked it up later and discovered it's a French version of sour cream. This flatbread was so Heavenly! Crisp bacon, fresh onions, very thin and light crust. I ate two or three small slices in addition to my soup, and I never eat that much! This better be here when I get back next month! It was great. Also further solidifies my desire to never eat WDW CS pizza, ever again!

After we finished our soups and the flatbread, we asked for a dessert menu. Chefs almost always has several great looking desserts, but that night I was the only one who wanted anything. I mulled over the menu for awhile, wondering what to order:

DSC04968.jpg

The Chocolate-Orange Mousse Cake with lemon cream sounded the best to me. The problem was it came with coconut ice cream. After all the cheese and onions I'd just eaten, I really didn't think it was smart to add coconut ice cream to the mix! I asked if I could have the orange and mandarin sorbet in its place, and that was thankfully no problem. For some reason, the prices are not on my menu picture. I'm thinking everything was the same cost, and the price must have been at the bottom. I want to say everything was $6.95, but I'm not entirely sure. Just a guess.

My dessert wasn't just delivered, it was delivered in style! I was turning 26 in a few hours, and :earsgirl: had noted my b-day on the ADR. Our waitress brought it out with a lit candle (and a hot pink one to boot, one of my fave colors!) and most of the waitstaff of Chefs with her. They sang "Happy Birthday" to me in French.

DSC04969.jpg

I took French for many, many years in school, so that was extra special to me. Normally I want to crawl under the table and hide when stuff like this happens, as I don't like attention in public! But I really enjoyed this. One of the neater parts for me was that our favorite Chefs waiter still worked there and was part of it. He hung around with our waitress afterward and chatted with us a little bit. I wish I knew his name, but sadly I don't. He's an older gentleman and has worked there for years, if anyone knows who I'm referring to. It turned out it was his birthday as well, which was really neat to me! We told him he had been our waiter years before and had helped give us one of the most memorable moments in all of our WDW trips. It was probably either 1998 or 1999 when it happened. It had started pouring down raining at Epcot that day, and it wasn't supposed to. So, we had no umbrellas, no ponchos, nothing. We ran to Chefs because it was close to dinner time anyway. This was back before the ADR craze, so you could do walk-ups just about anywhere. We asked to be put on the list. They weren't that crowded, so we didn't expect a wait. Much to our horror, the not-so-friendly hostess rudely informed us it'd be an hour. And by rude, I mean major 'tude going on in terms of a snappy tone and glaring. We were dripping wet and cold, and our faces just fell. In swooped "our" waiter, and he said "What? An hour? I have space for them right now!" Rushed and got menus and then hurried us back to a table near the windows. Then he ran and got us tablecloths to wrap ourselves in. He was so nice, and that was so unexpected and appreciated. Never forgot him. When we told him this time about that, he said he did remember us and it was great to see us again. It was just really nice. He's a great waiter and such a friendly man. I wish I knew his name so that I could recommend him to you all, assuming he's still there! Our waitress this time was great as well.

Now, onto the dessert, which is what I'm sure y'all want to hear about the most anyway! :rotfl2: This was great. I'm not a big chocolate person, but the chocolate and orange combo was great. I especially liked this dessert because it was light. After all of the cheese, I needed something light if I was going to eat any dessert at all. The mousse had a good flavor and didn't taste dry or bitter or powdery like some do. The orange and mandarin sorbet was yummy, and the fresh fruit was, in fact, fresh. I wish Chefs didn't change their dessert menu all the time and kept this on there! You know at the time going in you're likely never to get the same dessert there ever again. But they do a good job of coming up with something yummy every time.

The Ratings:

Food: 5x :donald: I can't speak to the quality of the average entree here, but the soups are fabulous and always have been. The flatbread was an unexpected surprise, and the dessert, as always, was great.

Atmosphere: 4x :donald: I wouldn't say Chefs is deafeningly loud like, say, Crystal Palace is. It's definitely noisy though. To me, this is one place that the noise adds to the charm! It's a hustling and bustling French casual restaurant. I really enjoy it, and if I'm anywhere near a window I enjoy World Showcase people watching. From some tables you can also watch, for example, the Chefs' dessert station. If you want quiet, try the more expensive Bistro de Paris around the corner and upstairs. One of the coolest new atmosphere-related things about Chefs is the Remy AA. Frankly, the exterior of Gusteau's restaurant in Ratatouille reminds me a lot of the exterior of Les Chefs de France. Unfortunately we didn't get to see Remy, since he didn't make appearances at 7pm or later. We knew this though, so it was no sad surprise. Would've been neat to see him, though!

Cost: 5x :donald: Very fair cost for the quality of what we got. Again, you're only looking at roughly a $38 bill pre-tax and tip. We're not on a super strict food budget, but we are on one. Approaching TS meals like we do this one and Brown Derby works well for us. We get food we like for roughly CS prices. You just have to be willing to eat lighter. This was more than enough food for me, so it's not an issue.

OVERALL: 5x :donald: In 9 trips, I've only ever had one bad food item here, and that was a dessert many years ago. Everything else has always been great. We've consistently had good waiters and waitresses. Sometimes the hostess CM can be a bit snippy, but other than that we've had no problems. Even that hasn't been an issue in recent years. Great food, great restaurant, great service. Can't recommend it enough!

Up Next: Day 3 Snack at Boulangerie Patisserie, the French bakery in Epcot!

Another restaurant on my must do list. Again, I appreciate the menu pics. I have heard nothing but great things about Les Chefs de France.

In the picture of your flatbread there is a bowl in the upper left hand corner. Is that the soup bowl? If it is, it is HUGE!! I am really wanting some of that soup after hearing you describe it!! Great review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter