if its the happiest place on earth, why are people so unhappy?

imthatgirl

DIS Veteran
we just got back today and had a great time. but i was quite sirprised at how unhappy people were there. sure it was hot, but it wasnt that hot. ive been when its hotter. i dont think thats an excuse:confused3

yesterday we went to downtown, just my daughter and me, she wanted to buy a purse. it started to rain so hopped in goofys candy co to dry off. but of course we were there so we jumped in line for some nemo cookies. the line was long, but its disney the wonderful world of lines. so no surprise there. well a woman had her child waiting in line for her while she browsed. when the child got close she switched with him. so of course the guy behind her thought she cut, him like all of us assumed the child belonged to the adults in front of him. ok so no ones fault right...wrong....it turned into a confrontation. the guy kinda kept his cool, he just mumbled under his breath that she cut. but this woman went off calling him an ****** and f this and f that. it was horrible! all these children around. i couldnt believe it.

im sure each of us has a similiar story.....it just makes you wonder whats wrong with people:sad2:

he just mumbled under his breath that she cut. but this woman went off calling him an ****** and f this and f that. it was horrible! all these children around. i couldnt believe it.

What a great example for her child! It seems to me that some people just don't think before they speak/act out.

I feel your pain. We went to Six Flags today and I left there just feeling really appalled at how ignorant people are. By the time we walked out I had *HAD IT*. I have 2 boys and I'm the first to admit I try to keep them pretty sheltered...for instance, they are not allowed to say 'hate', 'stupid', or 'dumb'. So imagine my chagrin when we spent all day in lines surrounded by people who were swearing up, down and sideways. My 4 year-old also got knocked down and practically trampled by 10 (or so) teenagers who were so rude they couldn't wait their turn to get on the Teacups. We were 2nd in line and by the time these kids trampled over him, there were no teacups left. Should have been a nice family day and it just left me disgusted with humanity. And don't even get me started on some of the clothes these people were wearing. :scared1: I'm no prude but really, I don't want to see you nekkid!

I honestly sat there thinking "Disney is not like this" but maybe I'm wrong. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant...had to get all that off my chest. :eek:

we just got back today and had a great time. but i was quite sirprised at how unhappy people were there. sure it was hot, but it wasnt that hot. ive been when its hotter. i dont think thats an excuse:confused3

im sure each of us has a similiar story.....it just makes you wonder whats wrong with people:sad2:

I've got 2 theories (non of the scientific at all ;) )
1) Disney is expensive and for many people they by into that "magical" imagine. If they don't get the "perfect" view out their window or if the bus does not "magical" appear immediately then we've got unhappy campers. If they have to wait to be seated or the line doesn't move fast enough all of a sudden you've got "misery". Think about it, where else do you go with such high expectation.

2) Too much information.
Every body reads on these boards and else where we get too much information. We read about people getting fabulous upgrades, getting some thing for their birthday, anniversary etc, etc. then if the same thing doesn't happen to them, well you get the idea.
I'm amazed at how many post I see about vacations being "ruined' because they didn't get towel animals or their kid didn't get picked for star wars.

It is too expensive and the park does ask people to reframe from saying those words for the enjoyment of others.:sad2:

Fortunatly we have not had any experiences like that, but I do have a thought. People pay a lot to go to Disney and they want to do it all, see it all in what, a WEEK? You just can't. Something we learned a long time ago, enjoy what you are doing and don't think about what you are missing. We tell that to all our friends going for the first, and in many cases the only time, unless you have an unlimited budget and unlimited vacation, you couldn't possibly see and do it all, so don't even try, just enjoy the moment. Having said that, it is hard to remember that when you think about what the week is costing you (sometimes I have to remind myself), but you will have a much better vacation if you remember that, too bad more people don't. I fell sorry for that guy, even if he acted like a jerk, because he clearly was not enjoying himself, and that is sad when you are at "The Happiest Place On Earth". Also, people have to remember that while Disney is not the most relaxing vacation, you do have to try and take a deep breath and just enjoy!!

I found this last year too. I couldn't understand why people were so unhappy at the happiest place on earth. Parents snapping and yelling at each other, kids crying, it was so disheartening.
I think it's a combination of many things.
In the summer and fall, the heat and humidity cranks out the bad attitudes in even the nicest folks.
Overstimulation. There's so much to see, so much to do and YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALL RIGHT NOW!!! Of course, you don't. But when you pay so much money to be there, you try to soak up as much as you can, at every expense. The expense to your sanity, to your comfort, to your family's enjoyment, and so on and so on. If people just realize that there is no possible way you are going to see and do everything at once and in one trip and just enjoy what you can, they'd have a much more relaxing time.
Magic schmagic. Yes, it's a wonderful place and they do their utmost to ensure you have a terrific time, but come on! They're still just human beings. Very little in this world is perfect and if you go there thinking that every last detail in your mind that is important will be taken care of, you're going to be disappointed. It's a vacation. People are human. Get over it already.
People don't instantly forget their manners when on vacation. They didn't have them to begin with! Just be glad that you only have to be in contact with them briefly and that they're not your next door neighbour!
Don't let the crankypants spoil your good time. I had a guy yell at me last year because I was walking down a ramp that apparently was for scooters. I didn't realize that it was. I didn't see a "scooter only" sign anywhere. But instead of him saying "Excuse me, this is a scooter ramp" he was very rude. In front of my children. Nice. I just said "excuse me" and moved a little more to the side (we weren't in his way whatsoever). I didn't let him ruin my day whatsoever. I just kept on having a great day in spite of his attitude.

Hmmm...I have never felt the urge to 'cover all the ground' or see everything all in one trip. I guess that would be pretty stressful if that's what people are trying to do. We are pretty 'chill' with our agendas, we go back and take naps every day. One thing I will say is I see soooooo many kids melting down. Of course my kids have done it too. I feel like people definitely push their kids too far, and then of course as parents once our kid is over the edge, we quickly follow...

I feel your pain. We went to Six Flags today and I left there just feeling really appalled at how ignorant people are. By the time we walked out I had *HAD IT*. I have 2 boys and I'm the first to admit I try to keep them pretty sheltered...for instance, they are not allowed to say 'hate', 'stupid', or 'dumb'. So imagine my chagrin when we spent all day in lines surrounded by people who were swearing up, down and sideways. My 4 year-old also got knocked down and practically trampled by 10 (or so) teenagers who were so rude they couldn't wait their turn to get on the Teacups. We were 2nd in line and by the time these kids trampled over him, there were no teacups left. Should have been a nice family day and it just left me disgusted with humanity. And don't even get me started on some of the clothes these people were wearing. :scared1: I'm no prude but really, I don't want to see you nekkid!

I honestly sat there thinking "Disney is not like this" but maybe I'm wrong. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant...had to get all that off my chest. :eek:

youre not the only one. i have 3 kids, we dont say those words either.
and yeah, disney is just like that. people are people i guess. but i also met some wonderful people while there.

I mostly ignore bad behaviour, because I'm in WDW, the happiest place on earth!:goodvibes However....yes, you knew that was coming ;) , I have been witness to some deplorable behaviour!

1. A man with his wife and 2 small kids went MENTAL. He started yelling at the kids and slapped the little boy across the face. The mother ran to the little boy and held him and he struck her!:scared1: :eek: I stopped dead in my tracks and just stared. He looked at me and said "do I need to give you an attitude adjustment too?" My husband reared back and I grabbed him and firmly told him we would find security and NOT cause a scene in front of OUR children!! It was awful, just awful.

2. My baby was crying on the monorail. He was maybe 7 months old and I just don't know why he was upset, he just was.:confused3 There was an older lady on the monorail constantly mumbling about "crappy parents and their squawling youngins'" She kept giving me the evil eye. That was a nice night.:wizard: :laughing:

I have to admit, there were times when we were "that family" during our trip.

As much as we would love to pretend otherwise, vacation can be stressful. Place 5 people into one room, together for almost every moment for an entire week, and sometimes they'll get on each other's nerves. Get them up for rope drop and have them walk several miles each day in FL heat, and it's going to get a bit worse. Throw in 5 different sets of expectations and desires from minute to minute, along with things like a suprise terror of characters, and there will be minutes you wish you could do over. Then have your 5 year old beat you to the elevator, press 3 instead of 2 and disappear for 15 minutes, and you'll see some stress that will have other people wonder why you came to the Happiest Place on Earth in the first place.

Did we have a wonderful trip? Of course. Was every minute filled with pixie dust and magic? Unfortunately, no. There were a few, not too many but a few, that I would love to edit out. But that's reality. We're a happy family who had a few stressful moments. I would hazard a guess that most families have a vaction somewhat like ours: a few minutes that are less than magical. Unfortunately, sometimes other people witness those moments, and may have a misguided idea of us or the vacation we had. There was no yelling, no screaming, no cursing or slapping. But there was some exasperation, some sulking, and some snide remarks. Those 15 minutes when we couldn't find Kira at the Poly: I'm sorry if I cut you off on the elevator or raced past you in the hallway without explanation-- all I could think of was finding her and my good manners were gone.

To those who witnessed us at our worst, my apologies. We DID have a wonderful vacation and the kids are asking when we can go back. But I'm sure that people who witnessed us at our worst are still shaking their heads in wonder 2 weeks later.

My DD and I were just talking about this recently. If you go to WDW thinking your going to have this magical vacation, with no problems, and everyone will be happy all the time, your setting yourself up for disappointment. You will wait in lines, your kids will get cranky, if it's summer, you will be hot, ect.....
We are going in Jan. with our kids & grandkids, (10 people). I am not looking for perfection, there are 3 little ones under age 3 going, and a teenager!:scared1: I just want the best vacation for my family. We will take easy, see what we can, and save some time to relax and just be a family. I expect a melt down here and there, and it will be ok.
My DH returns from Iraq shorly before we go. By the time he returns, he will have been away from his family for 15 months. No matter what the weather is like, the crowds, the moods, the people, we will all be together. That's what it's all about.:hug:

They are unhappy at Disney because no matter where you go you take yourself with you. They are always like that is my explanation for it.

As much as we would love to pretend otherwise, vacation can be stressful. Place 5 people into one room, together for almost every moment for an entire week, and sometimes they'll get on each other's nerves. Get them up for rope drop and have them walk several miles each day in FL heat, and it's going to get a bit worse. Throw in 5 different sets of expectations and desires from minute to minute, along with things like a suprise terror of characters, and there will be minutes you wish you could do over. Then have your 5 year old beat you to the elevator, press 3 instead of 2 and disappear for 15 minutes, and you'll see some stress that will have other people wonder why you came to the Happiest Place on Earth in the first place.

Did we have a wonderful trip? Of course. Was every minute filled with pixie dust and magic? Unfortunately, no. There were a few, not too many but a few, that I would love to edit out. But that's reality. We're a happy family who had a few stressful moments. I would hazard a guess that most families have a vaction somewhat like ours: a few minutes that are less than magical. Unfortunately, sometimes other people witness those moments, and may have a misguided idea of us or the vacation we had. There was no yelling, no screaming, no cursing or slapping. But there was some exasperation, some sulking, and some snide remarks. Those 15 minutes when we couldn't find Kira at the Poly: I'm sorry if I cut you off on the elevator or raced past you in the hallway without explanation-- all I could think of was finding her and my good manners were gone.

To those who witnessed us at our worst, my apologies. We DID have a wonderful vacation and the kids are asking when we can go back. But I'm sure that people who witnessed us at our worst are still shaking their heads in wonder 2 weeks later.

Ditto...our first trip was wonderful but there were moments. DH and teen dd got into it one day at the "quiet" pool. She is a teen and well, she has been having attitude moments for well on a year before this. But dh,luckily, has a job that keeps him occupied throughout most of his life so he doesn't get the fun of it all at home most of the time. I separated them right about the time DH dropped the f bomb and brat in the same sentence. At which time he sulked to the room and I was standing there with a crying 13 yo completely embarrassed. I hope it didn't ruin someone else's trip and I really hope that they understood we don't act like that normally. But 5 days together has a way of creeping up on even the most mild mannered people. Dh finally discovered why some days I want to run away from home.

Kelly

My DD and I were just talking about this recently. If you go to WDW thinking your going to have this magical vacation, with no problems, and everyone will be happy all the time, your setting yourself up for disappointment. You will wait in lines, your kids will get cranky, if it's summer, you will be hot, ect.....
We are going in Jan. with our kids & grandkids, (10 people). I am not looking for perfection, there are 3 little ones under age 3 going, and a teenager!:scared1: I just want the best vacation for my family. We will take easy, see what we can, and save some time to relax and just be a family. I expect a melt down here and there, and it will be ok.
My DH returns from Iraq shorly before we go. By the time he returns, he will have been away from his family for 15 months. No matter what the weather is like, the crowds, the moods, the people, we will all be together. That's what it's all about.:hug:

First, thank you to your husband for his service to our country. My family and many others I know appreciate his service. My husband was in the Army but had to get out on disability. I wonder where we would be in life if her hadn't. (He got out about 11 years ago.)
Second, I see your location. Should I assume you are at Ft. Drum. That was where we were last posted, I had my oldest daughter there. We like to tell people we ended up here in Rochester when our car broke down on the way home!:rotfl2:

But, I agree that people expect the "The Magic" means perfection, and that is not life. All families have their moments, mine does too (we have a teenager as well, :scared1:), but you get along as best you can and just ahave fun. Sounds like your family will, ENJOY!!!

I hate to hear of incidents like all of these. It's awful for small children to be subjected to that kind of behavior. But thanks for preparing me for it - this is my family;s first trip to Disney World and yes I'm hoping for the fairytale.:wizard:

Trust me, we all ca relate. It isn't the stress free vacation that some vacations are. I think we all understand what you went through, but I also think some people do go a bit crazy there Sounds like you experienced a very typical family vacation. As much as I love my family and I'd love to get along wonderfully all the time, it doesn't happen at home and it doesn't happen in Disney. We just try to keep it relaxed as much as we can, but many families can relate to the eye rollings, etc that you had-- trust me, I have a teenager, I see more eye rolling then I'd like that's for sure.
I'm glad you had a great trip!

First, thank you to your husband for his service to our country. My family and many others I know appreciate his service. My husband was in the Army but had to get out on disability. I wonder where we would be in life if her hadn't. (He got out about 11 years ago.)
Second, I see your location. Should I assume you are at Ft. Drum. That was where we were last posted, I had my oldest daughter there. We like to tell people we ended up here in Rochester when our car broke down on the way home!:rotfl2:

But, I agree that people expect the "The Magic" means perfection, and that is not life. All families have their moments, mine does too (we have a teenager as well, :scared1:), but you get along as best you can and just ahave fun. Sounds like your family will, ENJOY!!!

Yes! We are in the Ft. Drum area, and have been for about 5 years. We've made a home, and a life here, so we think we'll stay after he retires.
He's on his 3rd tour of Iraq now, and I'm sure not the last. :confused3
Thanks for the post about my hubby!:hug:

I worked at Disney 11 years ago - did the college program - and it was the same then. I saw some doozies, let me tell ya! :scared1: I worked the parade route on Main Street and YOWZA!! I think the heat, too-high expectations, money spent, and lack of planning can bring out the worst in people. :sad2:

I'm not talking about the tired family who snap at each other or roll eyes every once in a while. That's to be expected. I'm talking about the raving lunatic who is cussing out a cast member because they failed to get a good spot for the parade and the cast member won't let them sit in the wheelchair section.

I just try to remember that for every nutjob who is making a scene, there are 20 calm, happy, sane people enjoying themselves. You don't notice them because they're just doing their thing, blending in.

I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed yourself nonetheless!!!

I hate to hear of incidents like all of these. It's awful for small children to be subjected to that kind of behavior. But thanks for preparing me for it - this is my family;s first trip to Disney World and yes I'm hoping for the fairytale.:wizard:

And that's to be expected. first visits are great but just don't expect perfection.

Don't equate a good vacation with "doing every thing". Contrary to what you read, you can have a fabulous vacation and not ride Soarin 5X's.
If you don't get that absolutely "perfect" view, it's still a great vacation. Take a minute to enjoy the "little" magical moments that make Disney such a great place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter