If it's real HOT outside how COOL do you keep your house with AC of course?

72*F
unfortunately often times that only ends up happening on the first floor though.
upstairs it still ends up being about 77 even with central air.

just got back from hawaii today and boy am i glad i have ac because just about no place except in the hotel room had ac there.

We keep ours at about 72 degrees. For reference, we live in the South - Nashville, TN - and it's 89 degrees outside right now, at 7:30 pm.

Cold. DH sets the thermostat. Claims he can't sleep if its hot. I'm sitting under a Snuggie right now.

We have the temp set at 74 or 75. Any colder and my toes freeze. Any hotter and I feel like I'm dying. That temp seems to keep the humidity balance just right.
Although, in summer, it gets up to 78-80 in the afternoons. It's like the a/c is struggling. Had a repairman out, and he said everything is running right, it's just the way the sun hits the a/c and our house during the 2pm-6pm time frame in summer.

Which is why we use ceiling fans in every bedroom + the living room, and a stand fan pointed directly at the computer. LOL

It's going to be in the 90s around here the next few days so if I can keep my house at around 73 I feel pretty cool.:smooth: What about you?
Our AC is set for 83. We only prefer it to be cooler than the outside temperature, not like a refrigerator.

My car thermometer said it was 91 outside this afternoon. :( It's humid too so that makes it even worse. I generally keep the a/c at 72-74 at home.

Unfortunately we're going up north tomorrow and staying until Tuesday, and our camper's a/c isn't working. :( The guest camper a/c works fine, but we can't go over there as we're having guests for the weekend. I'll probably be happy to get home Tuesday, where we have a working a/c. :)
I'm sure I've told this story before but my DH took me to Minnesota in the summer. It was 99 with 100% plus humidity and no AC. Man, I'll take 115 scorching, feels like you're breathing sandpaper heat over that any day. I was never so miserable in my life.

I am jealous. Wish we had AC at our house. I couldn't take it last summer when it was frequently in the 90s. The temp inside our house was in the mid 80s most of the summer.

This summer has been much better. Only cracked 80 a few times.

72 no matter what the temp outside is.
Me too. I never change the setting. The only difference is it's on cool in the summer and heat in the winter. My electricity bill averages $80.00 per month year round. It's higher in winter so it's about 70 in the summer with the AC running constantly. I should add that my place is all electricity. Stove, Fridge, clothes dryer, dish washer, hot water heater, lights, AC and heat pump. Of course, I live alone so I am the only one using the shower or the washing machine. The one time when being single helps save some money.

When I first moved to NC from Vermont, it felt so warm that I kept it set at 68, there was such a contrast between the inside and the outside that my windows would be completely covered with condensation. As I got more used to the warmer climate, 72 became very comfortable for me.

Last edited:
Have a thermostat that I can program. It is set for 74 during the day, 70 in the evenings and cranks down to 68 from midnight until 6 a.m.
We keep fans running all over too because only one side of our mobile home cools/heats. The vents one side are awesome and blow cold air like crazy but by the time you get back to the master bedroom there is no air coming from the vents. There is about a 6-10 degree temp difference in winter from the front to the back of the house.

Its been hot here 90s for a few days. I usually keep it at 77 or 76 if its in the 90's out. During the night I turn it down to 75 cause I like to be covered when I sleep. My SIL keeps her house at 70 and its just too cold. Last week we went to their beach rental and I needed socks and a sweater. It was 68- too cold.

Hopefully Up North will be cooler for you. Are you heading for the UP?

Not yet, just going to our place a little north of Harrison. But Wednesday we're planning to head for the UP for 10 days or so. I hope the a/c in the truck camper works. :) But we may not need it. We took the truck camper to the UP 3 summers ago and never needed it, it cooled down so nicely at night. I prefer to just have the windows open and be able to hear the night nature sounds or the low rumble of a freighter going past the campground at the Soo. Much nicer than the drone of the a/c, but it's good to have it if we need it. So much nicer to sleep when it's cool.

I'm sure I've told this story before but my DH took me to Minnesota in the summer. It was 99 with 100% plus humidity and no AC. Man, I'll take 115 scorching, feels like you're breathing sandpaper heat over that any day. I was never so miserable in my life.

Yes, the humidity is really hard to handle. It just seems to sap your strength, at least it does for me. I don't mind hot weather, if the humidity is down. But when the heat is high and humidity is high too it can be pretty miserable.

Has been in the 90's. We have it set at 77 during the day and 74 at night. Our house stays very cool.

We are set to 72. I would go colder..
Hell, all of us would. But, my cheap side wins out. When you come in from 90°, 72 feels damn good.

76-78 - that's cool enough for this deep south gal. Love my summer times - can hardly take the cold - in NC now - winters are too cold for me!! :cold:

We live in Memphis, TN. The high is 98-100 this week with heat indexes over 110. Regardless, we have 2 central a/c units - 1 for each floor. We are hot if it's over 74 in the day. 72, maybe 73 is our daytime temp. We sleep between 66 and 68. The windows are usually covered in condensation in the morning. My utility bill was $455 this month, but my annual average is closer to $300.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter