If I plan to sell, should I rent out points that expire at the end of March?

eileenkeeney

Whatever
If I plan to sell, and start the process of listing about now, should I rent out or keep last year's points, that I banked into this year?

The points will expire at the end of March.
I will bank this year's points into next year.

I plan to price it so it will sell (probably just above what I determine the ROFR risk to be).

I know that when I purchased a resale, the available points mattered. I choose to purchase a package that had available points.

It depends.

If you keep the points with the contract it will sell faster and you will get your money sooner.

If you rent out the points, you will get paid for the rented points, but you will not be able to close until the reservation date has passed. It will also make the contract harder to sell right away.

So if you want the money fairly soon, I would say sell the contract with the points. If you are not in a hurry and want to maximize your possible return, rent out the points and wait.

As mentioned, the problem with trying to rent out those points is that it would require you to put the contract into a delayed closing situation. While you can find a buyer this way--I sold a contract that had a 4 month delayed closing--you don't get your money until that happens.

At this point, what I would do is simply list the contract and try to sell it as is (banking the 2011 UY points like you mention).

And, as the seller, you don't really need to be too concerned about ROFR. Once you have a buyer and it goes to Disney, your contract is sold. IF Disney exercises ROFR, then you will be selling to them--if they don't, then your buyer gets to have the contract.

Good luck!

If they are 2011 not banked 2010 points. You could offer as a free transfer with any offer. Even if ROFRed they could get the 2011 points.

I would prolly leave them alone, as you will be paying MF on them if you sell them, and you may only get 1-3$ per point over what the MF are for them expiring in March. Also you could prolly not rent them, but you would need to transfer them, unless the renter wanted like Nov or something for a room.

If they are 2011 not banked 2010 points. You could offer as a free transfer with any offer. Even if ROFRed they could get the 2011 points.

I would prolly leave them alone, as you will be paying MF on them if you sell them, and you may only get 1-3$ per point over what the MF are for them expiring in March. Also you could prolly not rent them, but you would need to transfer them, unless the renter wanted like Nov or something for a room.

I believe that the OP is talking about 2010 UY points that were banked into the 2011 UY. Those points can not be transferred to anyone else at this point.

It sounds like the plan would be to bank the 2011 UY points since that has to be done by the end of November or those too would have to be used by March 31st, 2012.

I'd be inclined to try to rent them. You'll probably be able to get $10 per point if you can find someone who wants to vacation prior to the end of March. Points that are "must be used by 3/31" certainly will not add much to your selling price on the resale market.

As others have said, if you rent the points, you will not be able to close until those reservations have been completed, but that's not a big deal. Your selling price is not likely to decline much in 4-5 months.

Also, be sure to BANK any unused 2011 points you have. Those points WILL add a little to your selling price.

Thank you for the advice.

They are 2010 points that I banked into 2011.

I have decided to rent the points, and then put my contract on the market after the reservation is completed.

The contract will still come with all 2012 points and most of the 2011 points banked into 2012.
This leaves a large enough time window for the contract to sell, before I have to worry about points expiring.

Assuming you have an April Use Year, you have until 11/30/11 to bank the points. Personally I would hold off doing that until the last minute--or at least until you have completed your rental transactions. You may end up needing some of those 2011 points in a rental, but once banked they cannot be unbanked.

For instance, if you have 200 points from 2010 you want to rent and a potential customer needs 210. You could use 10 of the 2011 points and then bank the rest.

Borrowing from 2012 is also an option, but holding-off on the banking is a cleaner way of doing it, IMO. Just make sure you set a reminder to complete the banking before the end of the month, and try to rent those points ASAP.

I just changed my mind, and the Dis boards is loosing a member.

After several years of using this site regularly, just because I do not have the required number of recent posts, I now have to pay to post my DVC points here for rent.

Assuming you have an April Use Year, you have until 11/30/11 to bank the points. Personally I would hold off doing that until the last minute--or at least until you have completed your rental transactions. You may end up needing some of those 2011 points in a rental, but once banked they cannot be unbanked.

For instance, if you have 200 points from 2010 you want to rent and a potential customer needs 210. You could use 10 of the 2011 points and then bank the rest.

Borrowing from 2012 is also an option, but holding-off on the banking is a cleaner way of doing it, IMO. Just make sure you set a reminder to complete the banking before the end of the month, and try to rent those points ASAP.

Very good idea, thanks.

I am poking around on ****************.
But the truth is, if I were a renter, I would not want to rent from someone who just signed up with the site they are advertising on.
Here I am (was?) established.
So not being able to use this site to post my for rent is pushing me more toward just selling now.

(Yes I could pay the $24.99, but I just think it is wrong to charge me, just because my site activity is not recent enough.)

I am also re-thinking using the board's main sponsor to do my re-sale.
My exposure to The Timeshare store, is via this site.
This site does not think it gets enough revenue, from my viewing its advertisements, to justify my posting a for rent ad.
Therefore allowing its main sponsor to profit from my use of this board is not something I really want to do right now.

my thought: no important decision should be based on $25 for any reason. :flower3:

good luck with whatever you decide.

Sorry for your frustration. I understand the idea behind forums having a minimum # of posts required prior to using the "for sale / rent" sections, but you have over 200 posts. I'm not sure what the mimimum number of required posts to use the "Rent" section is, but I can't imagine why it would be above and beyond 200! In most online communities, you would be considered an "established" user. Many other non-Disney forums that I participate on require somewhere between 10 and 50 posts, which I think is much more reasonable. The posting restriction is in place to prevent new members from spamming the for sale sections, and obviously, you're not trying to do that. Perhaps you can shoot a PM to the Rent/Trade forum admin to see if they can waive the fee for you, seeing as how you are a 10 year memember, and this is your first attempt at trying to rent out points. I don't feel that to be an unreasonable request, and would at least try that before pulling the pin on DIS.

In the event that you don't receive satisfaction, you absolutely have the right to use the broker of your choice (how wonderful that we live in a free country.... for now). Even though I am not buying from TTSS, I received good service from them in my recent resale search. But they're not the only game in town, and the other three major brokers that I dealt with provided excellent service as well. As a seller, I think you get a little more exposure from the TTSS, simply because they are the largest. But the fact that they don't co-broker, while the other major ones do, probably makes up for that.

We'd hate to see you leave DIS, and unfortunately, the only person that you would really be hurting is yourself, as there isn't another resource on the net that compares (IMHO). But I can't argue with your logic, and if that's what you choose, I can't say that I blame you.

So not being able to use this site to post my for rent is pushing me more toward just selling now.

(Yes I could pay the $24.99, but I just think it is wrong to charge me, just because my site activity is not recent enough.)

I am also re-thinking using the board's main sponsor to do my re-sale.
My exposure to The Timeshare store, is via this site.
This site does not think it gets enough revenue, from my viewing its advertisements, to justify my posting a for rent ad.
Therefore allowing its main sponsor to profit from my use of this board is not something I really want to do right now.
There are two fundamental flaws with your logic.

The first is that, obviously, just because the Timeshare Store is one of the many, many sponsors of the DIS does not mean they dictate policies to the DIS...or even have any input on DIS policies. In fact, I strongly suspect TTS found out about that particular change the same way we all did -- from the notification thread by the mods.

Secondly, if you bother to either question one of the mods or just read the discussions when the $25 was implemented, you'll quickly learn that your assumption is exactly backwards from the real reason for the fee.

You'll learn that the $25 fee was not a part of the original plan to put in a posting requirement. It was instituted to accommodate people who don't post regularly enough to meet the criteria of the R/T board...NOT as a revenue source for the DIS. You couldn't be more wrong.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot!

I don't know about other sites, but people seem to have success renting here. If you don't want to pay the price, post!

Good luck!
Bobbi:goodvibes

In addition to renting the banked points, I would transfer the 2011 points to another member since you probably won't recover the 2011 MF in the sale. With $20pp in hand, price to sell.

There are two fundamental flaws with your logic.

The first is that, obviously, just because the Timeshare Store is one of the many, many sponsors of the DIS does not mean they dictate policies to the DIS...or even have any input on DIS policies. In fact, I strongly suspect TTS found out about that particular change the same way we all did -- from the notification thread by the mods.

Advertisers ususally don't have a direct say in what an organization does, but by going after advertisers the theory is they pull money from the organization that has the complaints which ultimatly affects change in something the people didn't like.

Lets you media compy X and advertiser Y

Y pays X to advrtise in their media. If a group of consumers is unhappy with something they see in X they tell Y they will stop using their prduct if they continue to pay X advertising revenue. if the group is large enough then Y stops advertuising with X and X losses money. So going after an advertiser if you do not like what the media outlet is doing is not flawed logic. One person thinking not using that company is going to make a difference may be flawed logic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter