If gays can marry, then no one can!

So you have to "change with the times" in another situation but not in this situation? And, we are not allowed to have rights and personal thoughts anymore, if you don't believe in the same thing I do, YOUR WRONG and I'm going to take it to court to make you THINK the same way I do.

I'm not really sure what you are trying to argue here, but no one has said anything about personal thoughts or taking anyone to court to change the way that they think. The discussion is about the legality of choosing not to do your job.

Not sure what side you think I'm arguing...maybe read the entire thread with all the posts in context. I am in total agreement that the County Clerks should either resign their positions or be terminated. The approach they're taking is not a respectable way to express a grievance and their current actions are just shenanigans.

However, we are seeing threats to do that. I noted the one county clerk who decided to discontinue all county-employee officiated marriage ceremonies, although that was discretionary. I don't think the new one is so strident, but she didn't restart the program. That's something most counties do, but it's not an absolute requirement for county clerk offices.

Can you imagine a Department of Motor Vehicle clerk refusing to issue driver's licenses to women because he believes women shouldn't be allowed to drive? :rolleyes:

There it is. Best analogy I've seen. It's the exact same thing

I'm curious to know if that clerk in Hood County, Texas does anything with divorce papers? Or issues death certificates to those who have died by suicide?
Exactly. There would be outrage

I don't think there would be an outrage at all-I don't think it would get that far. I think the employer would simply be told to do his job or look for another one-simple as that, no argument warranted.

I'm curious to know how county clerks reacted when Loving v. Virginia passed. Did opposing clerks refuse and get fired, or were they able to pick and choose who they processed paperwork? This seems like the most comparable situation....

Some people are just crazy....

I would relieve them of their duties immediately, due to mental illness and incompetance. The inability to fulfill the job duties.
Not to mention insubordination, passive aggressive behavior on the job, and willful misconduct. Most importantly, willful disregard and refusal to follow the law.

I'm curious to know if that clerk in Hood County, Texas does anything with divorce papers? Or issues death certificates to those who have died by suicide?

Divorce is a court function, and papers would be filed with a court clerk. Death certificates are typically a health dept or coroner function although the certificates would be available via a county clerk. Of course in some jurisdictions it's a state (Hawaiu) or even city (NYC) function, but still a governmental function.

So you have to "change with the times" in another situation but not in this situation? And, we are not allowed to have rights and personal thoughts anymore, if you don't believe in the same thing I do, YOUR WRONG and I'm going to take it to court to make you THINK the same way I do.

People are welcome to think what they like. I dislike mushrooms; you may find them delectable. I dislike bluegrass music; you may enjoy it, and dislike the heavy metal I like. I am not religious, and others are, but we can still coexist in peace if they respect my thoughts as much as I respect theirs.

However, if you have a job to do, and you do not like the parameters of the job, then you need to leave it. Job parameters change. You either change with the parameters, or move on.

I had a job where I used to set up my own bonus requirements. They gave us 5 areas (customer service, budget, and 3 others I can't remember) and we could set our own goals in those. I never scored less than 100% of my bonus (10% of my quarterly salary) every quarter. When a new district manager came in, those bonuses were changed to specific requirements from the district manager. As some of his requirements were unobtainable (drop food costs to less than 7%, just as an example), no one received the big bonuses anymore. I think the biggest I got in that year that I worked for him was 30%. I didn't like those parameters, along with other changes he made (like requiring managers to work Saturday and Sunday every week. Prior to that, my GM and I had things worked out so we each worked 2 weekends a month, alternating, with either M/Th or T/F off...and the location we worked at was busiest M-F---business and hospital area)...so I transferred to a new area. This area was brand new, so the goals we used were a lot different, but in all honesty, a lot more difficult to obtain...and I never scored less than 85% of my quarterly bonus.

ETA (oops hit reply to quick)
But I made the choice to change, because I didn't like the new parameters set by the new boss.

Same reasoning applies to the clerk of the courts. If they don't believe in same sex marriage, and won't issue the required paperwork to SS couples, then they aren't working in the parameters set for the job, and they should leave or be removed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter