If a teacher were to post your child's work on Facebook with no identifying details..

Ember

<font color=blue>I've also crazy glued myself to m
If a teacher were to post your child's work on Facebook with no identifying details, because the work amused them and they thought it was adorable, would it upset you as a parent?

We got into a conversation about it today and I was just wondering what other people thought.

I'm talking something like this (this one is from a site devoted to student funnies):

test-funnies-6.jpg

Probably not (I'm pretty easy going).

That said, I am a teacher (sort of--I was a school slp for the last two years, but just took a more medical slp job). I have seen fellow teachers post things that absolutely appall me, including pics of students, stories about their parents, and private information that I think shouldn't be shared on Facebook. My rule for students is to not post about them, ever. If something absolutely adorable happens and I must tell someone, I share it with my best friend verbally (with no names) over a beer.

Edited to add, these weren't teachers where I worked. They were friends on Facebook from over the years. I guess I think teachers should be extremely careful about what they post on social media.

I have seen fellow teachers post things that absolutely appall me, including pics of students, stories about their parents, and private information that I think shouldn't be shared on Facebook. My rule for students is to not post about them, ever. If something absolutely adorable happens and I must tell someone, I share it with my best friend verbally (with no names) over a beer.

Frankly, I don't think it matters what your job is... I've seen people complain about co-workers and bosses, too. Not okay.

Frankly, I don't think it matters what your job is... I've seen people complain about co-workers and bosses, too. Not okay.

Oh, I agree. I can't hold in those kinds of things completely, but why commit them to writing on a media that is public and never goes away?

I have a teacher friend that posts her special Ed kids' "funnies". Smart enough not to show the student's names. But something just seems wrong about it.

Most normal people would be fine with it. But from reading the dis, there are a lot of people who would freak out about it, too. People seem to hold teachers to a much different standard than everyone else. And by that I mean they get blamed for all sorts of things. People get all bent out of shape and in a tizzy over what most people would consider a non issue. Just to protect yourself I would not do it. It won't be worth the crap storm that could follow if someone should think you are picking on, invading privacy of, or humiliating their child.

With nothing to identify? Would not bother me, I'd probably be flattered as a parent. Heck there are books devoted to silly things kids say and write

I'm a teacher and have done this. It's never to make fun of a student but point out something that was awesome or funny. Identifying details are never posted nor do I talk bad about my students/classes/school EVER. In addition, my Facebook is as private as it can be, and I'm not friends with any parents/students/coworkers.

Funnily enough, my "student posts" get more "likes" and comments than my normal posts do. But, maybe it's just that my students are super awesome (or perhaps I'm super boring?)! ;)

Honestly, why stress about it if there is nothing negative going on?

I would never know, because I wouldn't be friends with my children's teachers on Facebook. That's just weird.

Although I am willing to get the teacher would be doing something against school policy.

I don't think I'd have a problem with it, but I have a pretty warped sense of humor. lol I think funny things should be shared; however, there's always a few people who don't "get it" and they'll be up in arms.

No problems with it what-so-ever. Kids say/do funny/stupid/infuriating things. Yes, even my angels. Teachers are human and want to share/vent/cry about these things, too.

I think it's funny. I think a lot of people get uptight for absolutely no reason. This PC censorship is what is taking our society back centuries. There is no harm in parody.

I'm going against the grain and say yes, it would bother me. I wouldn't be "friends" with my child's teacher but sometimes these things get picked up and I would be pretty annoyed if I saw it posted on buzzfeed or elsewhere.

A status probably wouldn't bother me but actual photographs of my child's work would, even if it is funny. It's also completely unprofessional. I'd lose a lot of respect for the teacher that did it.

I wouldn't mind at all, in fact it sounds like a fun reason to friend their teacher. Out of curiosity, are there many closed groups for individual classes on Facebook where parents and their child's teacher can interact? My DDs aren't in school yet, so I wouldn't know.

I'd have no problem with it as long as it's not "Oh look, this kid is so dumb they did this" as a teacher's job is to educate and help kids. It'd be like a mechanic going "Oh, this driver was so dumb" when a car's brakes fail.

TBH, teachers have as much right to share the joys and stresses of their job as anyone else would. I would expect anyone to want to share something cute/funny that someone said or did through their work - usually without names and identification as well.

People post funny misspelled signs, ridiculous memos/emails, people of Walmart, etc. - ALL things that could be as potentially upsetting for the originator as a child seeing their silly answer posted on the internet. I don't think there is a magic age when mocking someone in a mean way becomes appropriate.

If a teacher were to post your child's work on Facebook with no identifying details, because the work amused them and they thought it was adorable, would it upset you as a parent?

We got into a conversation about it today and I was just wondering what other people thought.

I'm talking something like this (this one is from a site devoted to student funnies):

test-funnies-6.jpg

That kid thinks fast on his/her feet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter