If a DJ makes you dance and have a great time, they are good, right?

Papa Deuce

<font color="red">BBQ loving, fantasy football pla
I have to laugh. My mom went on to explain that I can make a crowd dance better than anyone she has ever seen, yet " You're not really a good DJ because you don't get the crowd involved". :rolleyes1

Rather than argue I just let it slide. I know what she means. She means that I don't get out and lead the Electric Slide, or have all kinds of contests....... But then again, I always explain to my clients that I don't do too much of that, and if that is what they want, then they are better off hiring someone else.

But if I can get evrybody dancing and having a great time, it would seem that I am like ex-Philadelphia Eagle, Chris Carter..... his coach once said ( Buddy Ryan ) "He ain't all that good. All he does is catch touchdowns!"

As much as I can laugh that off, it does hurt "just a little", to hear your mom say that. Eh, just a little vent. I'm not too upset.

I think you're both right. While there is some responsibility for the DJ to "pump up the crowd", a lot depends on the crowd.

I have been to weddings where no one wanted to dance at all. But in DH's family, you have to kick them off the dance floor or they'll never go home :)

I own a disco company here in Scotland and believe me you will never please everybody! You will get the person at every disco who wants their song next and if you don't play it there and then your the world's worst DJ. I always look at it if there are 100 people at a function and only one person moans then you have had a great night! :rotfl2:

I am a DJ but I work in night clubs. From my standpoint, YOUR RIGHT, all that matters is that you kept the dance floor going all night. If you are up front with potential clients and let them know you won't be leading the conga line or anything like that then you are all set. they know what to expect in advance. I can keep a dance floor packed all night long, but i could never do weddings/functions etc. It's just not me. It's a different kind of gig.

If you are doing as the hosts requested--you are a great dj no matter what you do.

But there is a difference between not leading the electric slide and being a wall-flower type of DJ.

But if you are getting them up all dancing--I'd hardly classify you as a wall flower.

I was at weddings where the DJ had them doing stupid things (contests) and he had the groom and the ushers get up and do a YMCA dance and then the bride and her circle got up and did something (can't remember what) I actually found it extremely annoying, he was involved way too much, making stupid jokes, comments and noises (think Woo Hoo's) I would much rather have a DJ play music and one that knows what songs are working and what songs aren't.

So if you can get me up dancing and keep me there...you are good!

I personally prefer your kind of DJing (is that a term?). I hate when the DJ does a bunch of really stupid stuff - just play some great music and I'll be happy!

Let's face it - some of these DJ's just look darn silly doing the electric slide! Good for you for not embarassing yourself like that.

Reminds me of a story: My lil bro is a DJ, and so I went to one of his parties and embarassed him by requesting the chicken dance - so he's got to put on this really silly looking chicken hat and lead the dance! Ahhhhh, I'm such a wonderful sister!

Do what you do, there is room for everyone.

diznygirl said:
Let's face it - some of these DJ's just look darn silly doing the electric slide! Good for you for not embarassing yourself like that.

OT as I don't care one really one way or the other--some do look dorky...but my DJ...oh my was he an awesome dancer. Very entertaining to watch and participate with. Him and "dorky" just don't go together.

But I understand what you mean.

diznygirl said:

Reminds me of a story: My lil bro is a DJ, and so I went to one of his parties and embarassed him by requesting the chicken dance - so he's got to put on this really silly looking chicken hat and lead the dance! Ahhhhh, I'm such a wonderful sister!

Do what you do, there is room for everyone.

I don't look good doing ANY kind of dance. I like to dance but my wife says I am a terrible dancer. I am a terrible dancer..... but I have my fun anyway! :teeth: Think Chandler from Friends doing the "big circle" thing!

Kaycee said:
I personally prefer your kind of DJing (is that a term?). I hate when the DJ does a bunch of really stupid stuff - just play some great music and I'll be happy!
ITA! ::yes::

DannyBoston said:
I am a DJ but I work in night clubs. From my standpoint, YOUR RIGHT, all that matters is that you kept the dance floor going all night. If you are up front with potential clients and let them know you won't be leading the conga line or anything like that then you are all set. they know what to expect in advance. I can keep a dance floor packed all night long, but i could never do weddings/functions etc. It's just not me. It's a different kind of gig.

I used to DJ clubs in the 1970s... when I was 14 - 16 years old. K.C. and the Sunshine Band, Bee Gees, Trammps..... you get the idea. I loved doing that. I would do it again in a heartbeat if I could. But I can't - or wouldn't - DJ music that I don't enjoy, at least all night long. I can play stuff I don't like, but not all night!

Personally, I would have hired you! I HATE it when you are at a reception and the DJ thinks it's like his own personal show and tries to run everything and do all that stupid stuff or play only what they want and not what people are asking for. Example: good friend got married this summer and a bunch of us were there that have been friends for a long time. We were the only people dancing and we wanted 80s music. I particularly requested one song. Then got a friend's DH to request it--like an hour later. Then went up and asked her again because DH and I wanted to go home. SHe finally played it and then the bride told me she had specifically put that on the list for me! I told her she better not tip the DJ then cause it took three tries to get her to play it.

Anyway, play the music, have fun, but don't expect people to do all that dorky stuff unless the client hires you to do so.

Lisa loves Pooh said:
If you are doing as the hosts requested--you are a great dj no matter what you do.

But there is a difference between not leading the electric slide and being a wall-flower type of DJ.

But if you are getting them up all dancing--I'd hardly classify you as a wall flower.

I agree. As long as you are doing what you were hired to do and the hosts are pleased, that is what matters.

DisneyJen0504 said:
I agree. As long as you are doing what you were hired to do and the hosts are pleased, that is what matters.

Basically I agree but there are definite exceptions. I once turned down a wedding when the bride told me that she would provide an exact play list of songs and in which order she wanted them played. No way I would box myself in like that as a DJ. You need flexibility to work the crowd. And if her list was a disaster, guess who would look bad? It isn't the bride; I can tell you that!

Plus, having done over 100 weddings, I can tell you that most brides are fairly oblivious to the music being played UNTIL you play a song that they hate. That, they notice. The bride and groom usually are too busy too spend a whole lot of time on the dance floor. I would guess that "most" brides don't dance more than 10 dances all night. And the grooms usually dance even less.

Just my opinion, but drawn from 250+ total parties.

Oh, BTW..... I only ever had ONE "bad" party. It was a wedding reception for 2 Baptists. Even though I asked about stuff before the event, it wasn't until the event that they told me "No Dance Music At All!". I had to comply. But, boy, there were a lot of unhappy guests, I can tell you that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter