• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Idol, who is going?

OldsDr

DIS Veteran
This is one thing I think Disney missed the boat on. They turned American Idol down in the first place therefore it wound up on FOX instead of ABC. Now they have removed a game /attraction that I have seen 5 year olds get lucky on and win( by win they got to the hot seat on Who wants to a millionaire play it) and replaced it with a game/show where you need a talent to win and ruined it for the rest of us. Nothing against the people who can sing, but they are the minority.

Every time I went into millionaire I had a slight chance to win, now you have to be able to sing, either you can or you can't win.

I do not go to WDW to win stuff, but this seems like some suit trying to cash in on something 8 years too late. Just like the purchase of the rights to the Mighty Morphin power rangers.

I just think if you are going to have a game oriented attraction leave it open so everyone can have a chance to win, even if they have to catch some luck. I and many others can not get lucky and suddenly be able to sing. I just don't get excluding so many on such a major attraction.

Did I miss something with this new show?

We tried Millionaire once and never went back. Just didn't see the attraction.

We have absolutely zero interest in "Idol" and would probably only do it if we were bored to death with everything else at DHS (which is highly unlikely) or to get out of the rain.

We went to this on Monday. It was a lot of fun. They had 6 or 7 shows throughout the day. Then at 7pm they have the finale with all the winners from the previous shows. We enjoyed it.

Haven't seen Idol yet so can't comment on it, but Millionaire was one we did once and skipped from then on. We just weren't impressed, but then we didn't care for the show on TV either, so maybe that's why.

This is one thing I think Disney missed the boat on. They turned American Idol down in the first place therefore it wound up on FOX instead of ABC. Now they have removed a game /attraction that I have seen 5 year olds get lucky on and win( by win they got to the hot seat on Who wants to a millionaire play it) and replaced it with a game/show where you need a talent to win and ruined it for the rest of us. Nothing against the people who can sing, but they are the minority.

Every time I went into millionaire I had a slight chance to win, now you have to be able to sing, either you can or you can't win.

Did I miss something with this new show?

Who Wants to be a millionaire used to be where Midway Mania is now. American Idol is over by the hat, so they aren't replacing anything as far as I know. Besides, it's not a matter of winning in my eyes. I would go because I think it would be entertaining

We will be doing Idol but only because I have a DD who wants to try out for this. Otherwise we'd just skip it.

I was irritated that they're still doing the age discrimination thing. I'd have thought that since it was just an attraction, and not the actual show itself, they'd have no age perameters, but apparently I am wrong.

As it happens, I can sing (probably not star quality, but...) and I'd like to try it just as a lark. I'd NEVER want to try out for the actual show (even if I was young enough... I'm 33.) But if it's just an attraction, a GAME, if you will, then I'd like to give it a go.

But they've got the age restriction on this too! Huh?

That got me angry. But I don't know if I'll go to this or not, when we're in DHS.

Sigh.

I think I read in another post that you have to be at least 14 but there is no upper age limit. Someone had said that if you do win, you would have to be in the age limits to audition for the real show. So, from what I have read, you can do the one at Disney! You should give it a shot next time you're there!! Good luck!

Nope .zero interest.DIdn't really care for millionaire all that much either.If I want a game show or reality tv I will go on a gameshow or reality tv.

We will definately do it - for curiousity if nothing else. I also understand that Disney does this up just like a TV show. There are cameras everywhere, you can see the various angles on the big screen monitors, they do a 'crowd warm up' to get you ready, and more. At least this fits the STUDIOS. While I may not be going every time, I do want to see this, and I'll bet we go back. Like the show or not, it sounds like fun, and I have to give Disney a chance to shine.

This did not replace Millionaire. Toy Story would not fit in this area - so its not the same. If they just left Millionaire for 10 years, we would be complaining about not getting something fresh.

I was irritated that they're still doing the age discrimination thing. I'd have thought that since it was just an attraction, and not the actual show itself, they'd have no age perameters, but apparently I am wrong.

As it happens, I can sing (probably not star quality, but...) and I'd like to try it just as a lark. I'd NEVER want to try out for the actual show (even if I was young enough... I'm 33.) But if it's just an attraction, a GAME, if you will, then I'd like to give it a go.

But they've got the age restriction on this too! Huh?

That got me angry. But I don't know if I'll go to this or not, when we're in DHS.

Sigh.
You might want to look at the rules again. There is no "age discrimination" at American Idol Experience. You have to be at least 14 to audition (which is no different than some other attractions with age or height requirements), but there is no upper age limit. You can be 106 and audition if you want. So you're kind of all worked up over nothing. Disney will happily welcome you to audition. If you win, you won't be able to audition for the TV version of Idol, but you clearly don't want to do that anyway. And besides, that's Freemantle's rule, not Disney's.

:earsboy:

HI -- the only age restriction is a low one -- you have to be at least 14. There is no upper age range (check the FAQs). If you are over the real show's age limit you can't win the Dream Ticket, but anybody over 14 can participate and win (you just won't get the ticket if you're over 28). I can't remember if they're giving an alternative prize. So go ahead! WE'd love to hear you sing! My DS 16 plans on trying out -- it'll be Wednesday, March 25, so if you're there and you see Greg, vote for him!

Erin

HI -- the only age restriction is a low one -- you have to be at least 14. There is no upper age range (check the FAQs). If you are over the real show's age limit you can't win the Dream Ticket, but anybody over 14 can participate and win (you just won't get the ticket if you're over 28). I can't remember if they're giving an alternative prize. So go ahead! WE'd love to hear you sing! My DS 16 plans on trying out -- it'll be Wednesday, March 25, so if you're there and you see Greg, vote for him!

Erin

I believe you actually CAN win the "Dream Ticket" if you're over the Idol age. You just can't use it for yourself. Dream Tickets are transferable to anyone within the American Idol TV Show's rules.

:earsboy:

We will be there in 2 weeks, and like many others nobody in my family (there are 8 of us going) has any interest in it. Obviously, I would think that it's something will not last too long in the park, and I can just hear people in about 5 years from now saying "hey, do you remember that American Idol thing at HS?" As for that question, I think no many people will remember it.

Seems like a weird case of "we couldn't find anything better than this to add to the park."

I guess I am the odd one out here because I can't wait to see it. I am over the age limit for AI, but I enjoy singing and my husband has decided to make everyone in our party (there are 6 adults) audition. It's something new and different. As for Millionaire...I think that my husband spent 3 whole days trying his hand at that (he is trivia obsessed) until he made it on and won, so this is just a natural extension of his craziness.

I went to see it when it was soft-launching earlier this month, and I thought it was very well done - very entertaining and I would definitely go back next time I'm at HS. My only complaint is that a CM gave my 11 year old DD a ticket to audition early in the day and she was so excited - he never asked her age or anything - and she looks her age. He just said that if she's under 17 I have to accompany her. She couldn't wait to go for her audition at the set time. When we got there, the next CM asked her age and said unfortunately, she was too young and you had to be 14 to try out. She was so disappointed - I thought they could have done a much better job informing us up front to avoid that situation.

I saw it on Tuesday. It wasn't bad until they had Jordin Sparks come on the big screen and encourage everyone to get up to sing and dance along. The cheesiness factor went through the roof at that point for me. All I wanted to do was come in, sit down, enjoy the entertainment, and vote. Thankfully I sat in the back towards the exit, because I was able to get away with just sitting and clapping. I have a severe dislike of "get up and dance!" - especially when sober - so I went from thinking "It's not too bad" to "Won't be coming back here." YMMV....

Our family hasn't gone to MGM (oops, DHS) in a couple years when we go to Disney cause there hasn't been anything to interest us over there.

This year - we're going back to MGM!!!! I can't wait to see the Idol show!! Its a great idea and I think many people will go to the show!

Personally I will not try out - I can sing - I just don't like getting up on a stage ya know? But I love to watch others on stage and I think its gonna be great!!!

GO IDOL!! :goodvibes

Does anyone know if there are any opening day (2-14-09) festivites/special guests planned?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter