Idiotic judgment against honor student

Wall-E1

Dis Dad
http://www.cbs19.tv/story/18624973/honor-student-placed-in-jail-for-tardiness-and-truancy-at-school-

Well, I certainly feel safer knowing that a judge has decided to set an example by throwing this honor student in jail. I can sleep safer knowing that the law has once again worked as it should, and there will be one less deviant honor student on the loose, working two jobs, supporting her family, taking dual credit college courses. I say throw all of these hardworking and productive members of society into the slammer. That'll show them. Good job judge!:sad2:

I read in another article that this student is hoping to become a doctor, and now she is concerned that her "record" may hamper her efforts. I hope this judge's decision gets wiped from her record. He should be ashamed of himself for "setting an example" with this 17 year old honor student, who has so much on her plate right now.

At my dd's HS, when you miss so many days a semester you fail the class & have to repeat the class, even if you had an A in the class.

Now there is an appeal process for valid reasons, esp. medical. However not going to school because you are tired from working and does not work as a valid reason in HS/dual credit college classes as far as I know.:confused3

So while I totally disagree with the judge's decision to make "an example" of this young person, I want to know why the article did not address the "days missed" issue with regards to failing.

Did it say how many days she missed?

ridiculous.
she is beyond compulsory age in Texas. what a waste of time to make an example of this poor child.
:confused3

There are pieces of the story missing. Why is she supporting her brother who is already in college? Can't he take care of himself? Why is she supporting her younger sister and why isn't she and her sister living with their divorced parents who moved away? Where is the child support for sher and her sister? It sounds almost like the girl in the story moved in with another family to avoid having to move with one of her parents. She has bitten off more than she can chew. Sorry, but she had been warned previously in court to not be late or miss school and she ignored the warning. Her situation could have been avoided. I don't even consider her "honor" status a factor. had she been a failing student or a c average student this would not have been a story.

Just because she is an honors student that makes it okay to violate a judges order? It may seem harsh but she violated a court order and was punished, not because of truancy but because she violated that order. I am sure she knew the consequences, being an honor student and all but she apparently didn't think it applied to her maybe the next time she will realize she must follow the rules like everyone else

There are pieces of the story missing. Why is she supporting her brother who is already in college? Can't he take care of himself? Why is she supporting her younger sister and why isn't she and her sister living with their divorced parents who moved away? Where is the child support for sher and her sister? It sounds almost like the girl in the story moved in with another family to avoid having to move with one of her parents. She has bitten off more than she can chew. Sorry, but she had been warned previously in court to not be late or miss school and she ignored the warning. Her situation could have been avoided. I don't even consider her "honor" status a factor. had she been a failing student or a c average student this would not have been a story.

Though this is speculation, my guess is that it's a cultural thing. As the oldest girl, she is responsible for taking care of her siblings, even the older brother. Also, I wouldn't assume that the parents planned on taking either kid.

Why on earth are we JAILING hard-working kids who did nothing but commit a status crime?!?!? This is BEYOND absurd.

In the follow up story, the judge is asked by the news crew whether he could walk his reaction back, and his response was that "I haven't thought on that issue and it would make me look soft." No, Lenny Moriarty, it makes you look like a freaking human being with a thread of compassion.

So let's review: if she had simply dropped out of school, she's fine. Since she is trying to stay in school, she goes to jail.

This sounds right to people?!?!?

While I certainly feel sorry for this girl, she seems to have a lot on her plate, in all reality what the judge did was a kindness. In our district she would have failed and not been allowed to graduate until she made up her courses. That would have really destroyed any hope she had of going to medical school.

The issue is that even though she is past the age of compulsory education she chooses to continue to go to school, so she agrees to the terms of the school's attendance policy.

It's a shame, but, unfortunately, if the school/truancy court makes an exception for this student, there will be all kinds of challenges to the truancy policy. It really isn't fair to say that because she is smart, because she has family problems that she is exempt from the rules.

While I certainly feel sorry for this girl, she seems to have a lot on her plate, in all reality what the judge did was a kindness. In our district she would have failed and not been allowed to graduate until she made up her courses. That would have really destroyed any hope she had of going to medical school.

The issue is that even though she is past the age of compulsory education she chooses to continue to go to school, so she agrees to the terms of the school's attendance policy.

It's a shame, but, unfortunately, if the school/truancy court makes an exception for this student, there will be all kinds of challenges to the truancy policy. It really isn't fair to say that because she is smart, because she has family problems that she is exempt from the rules.

I agree.

Wow. That's a first. Throwing her in jail is a kindness? A criminal record is a kindness? What was throwing her in jail going to do? Force her to make a choice? Which item do you think was going to go by the wayside? The job she's using to support her sibs? The job she's using to have a place to stay? Or the schooling?

Here's a novel idea, why not figure out why she is missing so much school and work backwards from there? What is the purpose of the rule? Shouldn't the consequence go to fixing the problem?

Being that she is legally allowed to quit school, I don't see how she can be considered truant.
How about instead of throwing her in jail, we try to make her life a tad easier, before she breaks.

Being that she is legally allowed to quit school, I don't see how she can be considered truant.
How about instead of throwing her in jail, we try to make her life a tad easier, before she breaks.

Nope. She broke the rules. Off with her head!

I totally sooooo agree with you!!!!! There's a petition on change.org in case anyone is interested asking the judge to revisit his ruling.

Just because she is an honors student that makes it okay to violate a judges order? It may seem harsh but she violated a court order and was punished, not because of truancy but because she violated that order. I am sure she knew the consequences, being an honor student and all but she apparently didn't think it applied to her maybe the next time she will realize she must follow the rules like everyone else

I agree. Lateness is also a HUGE disruption to other students in class and interrupts their learning..why is it OK for her to decide to just come when she feels like it? If she is of legal age to leave school she can make the choice to do so and get her GED instead. If she chooses to stay in school why should she not be held accountable to the rules of the school? Yes she is doing a lot and managing to hold on to good grades..great. But she isn't showing up on time and that is a problem for the teachers and other students in the classes she is wandering into late.

At my high school if you were not in the door at the last bell you were not allowed in class for that period. You were marked with an unexcused absence and "swept" to the cafeteria. Too many unexcused absences and you were in danger of failing the class and legal truancy violations.

I am going to guess it is because she is a student of the school..by attending you are agreeing to follow the rules of the school..including attendance rules. So while she legally is not required to attend she is still doing so and is then bound by the laws and school rules around truancy.

I agree. Lateness is also a HUGE disruption to other students in class and interrupts their learning..why is it OK for her to decide to just come when she feels like it? If she is of legal age to leave school she can make the choice to do so and get her GED instead. If she chooses to stay in school why should she not be held accountable to the rules of the school? Yes she is doing a lot and managing to hold on to good grades..great. But she isn't showing up on time and that is a problem for the teachers and other students in the classes she is wandering into late.

At my high school if you were not in the door at the last bell you were not allowed in class for that period. You were marked with an unexcused absence and "swept" to the cafeteria. Too many unexcused absences and you were in danger of failing the class and legal truancy violations.

Ok I can see Her being in danger of failing. But jail time and a record??? Get a grip. In what world do you consider that punishment fitting the crime?

When did not attending school become an offense that involves jail time? Not to mention that this student isn't even legally required to attend school yet she can be jailed for not attending school? I don't see the logic.

If she is habitually late and disruptive then suspend her.

Ok I can see Her being in danger of failing. But jail time and a record??? Get a grip. In what world do you consider that punishment fitting the crime?

She violated the judges order..if she hadn't done that I would agree with you but she did and sorry but that is a reality of life. When you are told by a judge if you do something again you will end up with jail time then you don't do it or you expect jail time. She could have chosen to leave school and get her GED if showing up on time is impossible and she would not have violated the order.

I don't see why it's OK I guess...she is showing up late (resulting in disruption for the teachers and students), that resulted in a truancy hearing in court. She was told in court not to miss anymore school and she made the choice to miss school. Just because she is a good student it's OK for her to not show up but other students should be punished?

When did not attending school become an offense that involves jail time? Not to mention that this student isn't even legally required to attend school yet she can be jailed for not attending school? I don't see the logic.

If she is habitually late and disruptive then suspend her.

This has come up in several other threads but there are generaly state or county laws regarding truancy. Parents and student end up in court and doing community service, paying fines or other punishments for chronic truancy.

IMO this is about her defying the judges order. He told her not to miss again and she did. That resulted in a fine and jail time. It was 24 hours for goodness sake not 20 to life.

If the judge really wanted to do her a favor, why couldn't he have found someone to help her balance her life, prioritize, or point her to an organization that can help her? This is a girl that has a lot going for her. She hasn't been missing school because she is doing drugs, prostituting, or running with a gang. Good God! Cut her some slack and help the kid out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter