Identification in case of getting lost

mousehunter3

Mouseketeer
What do you do to keep ID on your kids in case they get lost? Do they have bracelets or something that you can put on your kids with your phone number?

What do you do to keep ID on your kids in case they get lost? Do they have bracelets or something that you can put on your kids with your phone number?

Everyone in my family wears one of these: https://www.roadid.com/p/the-Wrist-ID-Slim

We do a lot of cycling, so it is a must. But, they are great for trips. My son has worn one since 3rd grade, when going on school field trips or at summer camp.

I'm wondering if the Magic Bands can be used for that. It will have our info on it. Anyone know about this? If not, I'm planning on using permanent marker on the underside of the kids arm, covered with that tough skin spray to prevent it coming off. Also, going to take pics of each of the kids on the day we visit the park so CM's can know exactly what they are wearing and what they look like. Any better ideas?

My kids have their names on most of their clothing items... in part due to daycare. I also try to take a picture of them when we're heading out to the parks so I have an exact description of what they are wearing.

Older kids will know their own name. My youngest is a runner so she is rarely allowed to roam. It's either stroller or someone's carrying her.

When mine were younger I got "dog tags" from the machines at the pet stores - they have fun ones, even Mickey Mouse. I then thread their shoe laces through one so it is very visible to someone trying to identify them but if you thread it upside down, people can't read them. If you have a girl add a pretty bead to either side, a boy add a skull bead or something. They will think they are cooler and they can not possible lose them.

We used safety tats for our girls. It had our cell phones numbers on them and in case I'm lost or something like that. We put them on the inside of the wrist. Each lasted a couple days.

We got RoadID figuring that they would be useful in any number of situations like field trips and camps.

The Magic Bands are black on the underside and don't really have a spot for the info. There are certainly ways to put it on there, but tattoos or dog tags or RoadID seems like a better way to go.

I'm wondering if the Magic Bands can be used for that. It will have our info on it. Anyone know about this? If not, I'm planning on using permanent marker on the underside of the kids arm, covered with that tough skin spray to prevent it coming off. Also, going to take pics of each of the kids on the day we visit the park so CM's can know exactly what they are wearing and what they look like. Any better ideas?

My guess is that magic bands will be a great way to locate lost children. All the CM will need to do is scan the band and they will have access to all of their info.

We make laminated tags, similar to little luggage tags, with our names, cell, resort we are staying at and safety pin it to the bottom of our sons shirt.

My magic bands do have the black on them but not the whole band! We wrote our names/numbers with a sharpie on the inside of our kids bands. You can peel the black off if the bands are to big. We also take a pic every morning so we know and remember what they were wearing that day :thumbsup2

Mine did bracelets. My son wore his around his ankle. Next trip he will be almost 4.5 so he’ll probably have it on his arm, unless that and the magic band is too much.

My 3 year-old wears a band that says “If I’m lost look under my bracelet.” On the other side is his name, my name, my cell number and the name of our resort.

When my daughter was younger she wore a bracelet with a paper inside it with my information.

I got their bands from www.vitalids.com

I got a big pat on the back from the CM dd went to when we did get separated during our trip in 2012. Dd was just giving the CM the band when I came up. I know we talk about it a lot here, but she said you’d be surprised at the number of children they deal with who have nothing on them. She said sometimes the children are expected to remember the number, but forget the number due to the stress. That would be my daughter. Plus, being Dyslexic, she sometimes transposes a couple of numbers. She prefers to carry it on her.

On our last trip, she was 10 and carried her own KTTW card in a purse on the end of her lanyard so I wrote my cell number on another card and put it in the purse on the end of her lanyard.

I also wondered if they will be able to scan the magic bands for the information, including my cell number. I’m glad to hear people have been able to write on them. Wearing his “in case I get lost” bracelet and the magic band might be a bit much for my son.

Our child will be 20 months and likely won't wear the bracelet (he will try to remove it) so i think we are going to get the ID tattoos instead. I'm not a fan of tattoos but I think it's worth it for a few days.

many years ago, when DD was 3-4 (she'll be 16 yo on sunday), i bought a set of dog tags for her from armynavy.com. they say "if child wearing is lost, please call" and it lists both mine and DH's cell phone numbers. she wore them many times over the years, both on vacations and field trips. LOVE them. and they were cheap-about $5 for the tags and a set of silencers.

i'm assuming we are talking about for when kids are at the parks, but if you're looking for a great day to day identification check out the 'kid smart' membership through medic alert.

you can choose the type of medic alert jewelry the child will wear (ds has a bracelet he wears 24/7). there's a 'safe return' program integrated wherein if your child is separated from you they/responsible adult can call the number on the back of the i.d. and medic alert will first try to call your designated call back numbers (they have our home and cells, and if we're traveling we let them know what number is 1st priority), and if unsuccessful in reaching you they start calling down your backup list.

we went ahead and had medic alert engrave our home/cell numbers (with "h" for home, "m" printed next to mine, "d" for daddio's) so ds always has them for his own use.

granted, it's $40 a year but that includes the basic i.d., and the piece of mind it provides in priceless (there is also an adult version that is ideal for folks with asd, alzheimers, and diabetes but anyone can sign up for it).

We have done Medic Alert I think it is called. I have the cards in my wallet. Our community offers that free through our police department at our local children's fair. I don't really think that would be a reliable way to locate a child in a rush at a theme park.

I am talking about keeping them safe while at the parks. All of my kids know my cell phone number (and my oldest knows my husband's cell # too), plus she has her cell phone with her). I am just worried that my youngest might forget the number in a moment of panic if he is lost.

The dog tag thing is a great idea. We have one of those machines at our Walmart. I think I will do that. None of my kids are "wanderers" but I would rather be safe than sorry... it only takes a second for a small child to get lost in a big crowd!

Thanks!!

I bought 100 tyvek bracelets on ebay for $3. I plan on writing our phone numbers on them. I'm about to order my own Road ID bracelet, but never thought to get my daughter one. Great idea!

I got bracelets from 'Mables Labels' that say 'If Lost call my mom's cell'.... I didn't put the child's name so we can use them for both kids. They are 'disposable' but very heavy duty so they wore them several days (including pool time) on our last trip and no way my kids could rip it off.

The nice thing about it over a permanent bracelets is I can get it on snug enough they can't take them off.

Magicbands!! Don't worry... If you don't know where your children are.. Disney DOES!

We used Safety Tats on our trip this past summer. My two year old doesn't like bracelets so it worked well for him. He even thought it was pretty cool and asked for more tattoos. It stayed on all week, even with lots of pool time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter