• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Identical attractions at DLR and WDW?

coffeequeen

Mouseketeer
I am a WDW CM (for almost 3 years now) and I was an AP holder for almost 15 years before that so I'm very familiar with the WDW attractions. While I know most attractions that are common to both coasts are generally different (and I look forward to the differences!), can you all tell me which attractions are identical at DLR and therefore, "skip worthy"?

Soarin'?
Toy Story Midway Mania?
Little Mermaid?
It's Tough To Be A Bug?
Tower of Terror?
Astro Orbiter?
Star Tours?
Enchanted Tiki Room?

...Any others?

I've been to DL 3 times but only for day trips and it has been quite a few years. Also, I only went to DCA once and it was before it was cool. LOL.

I am a WDW CM (for almost 3 years now) and I was an AP holder for almost 15 years before that so I'm very familiar with the WDW attractions. While I know most attractions that are common to both coasts are generally different (and I look forward to the differences!), can you all tell me which attractions are identical at DLR and therefore, "skip worthy"?

Soarin'?
Toy Story Midway Mania?
Little Mermaid?
It's Tough To Be A Bug?
Tower of Terror?
Astro Orbiter?
Star Tours?
Enchanted Tiki Room?

...Any others?

I've been to DL 3 times but only for day trips and it has been quite a few years. Also, I only went to DCA once and it was before it was cool. LOL.

Nothing is really identical.

Soarin... The movie is now in HD which I don't think the WDW version has and the queue experience is totally different.
TSMM... Queue experience is totally different
Little Mermaid... Queue experience is totally different
ITTBAB.... " "
Tower of Terror... New scenes and different drop profile
Astro Orbiter... Different look and on the ground
Tiki Room... Not sure, but I know the pre-show is different

My advice. Don't skip anything even though they share the same name or look the same. You will fine differences and it will make for a better time as you compare.

Tea Cups, Peter Pan's Flight, Toy Story are the only ones that immediately come to mind, though there may be a few more.

Tea Cups, Peter Pan's Flight, Toy Story are the only ones that immediately come to mind, though there may be a few more.

Peter Pan's Flight is slightly longer ride with (I believe) one additional scene at DLR. Plus, it has the new effects.

Soarin'?
Toy Story Midway Mania?
Little Mermaid?
It's Tough To Be A Bug?
Tower of Terror?
Astro Orbiter?
Star Tours?
Enchanted Tiki Room?

ToT is different, but not as good as WDW, at DCA it is shorter and there is no vertical travel through the "Twilight Zone"...it goes up and down only. But I would say the others are near identical rides and shows, aside from the aforementioned queue differences. Having trouble coming up with others.

It depends a lot on what you mean by "identical" and whether of not the queue areas count. As you can tell, a lot of the attractions have similar names, but some of the elements, including the queue may be different between the two resorts.

• Soarin' - the queue areas are different, the movie in DCA is now HD, but it's basically the same attraction.
  • Toy Story Midway Mania - different queue areas, but the attraction is pretty similar (I think one of two of the games might be different)
  • Little Mermaid - very different queue area, but largely the same attraction (some minor differences)
  • It's Tough To Be A Bug - different queue area, same show (or at least, I didn't notice any major differences)
  • Tower of Terror - same concept, but different drop sequences
  • Astro Orbiter - similar concept, but lower to the ground at DL
  • Star Tours - very different queue area, but same show
  • Enchanted Tiki Room - different queue/pre-show, different show
I wouldn't skip any of the attractions just because they share a name, but if you're pressed for time (e.g., only have one day or something like that), I would probably forgo most of the attractions you have listed (except ToT and Tiki Room) because the differences are generally only in the queue area or are very minor (i.e., most guests wouldn't notice unless they are a huge fan of that attraction).

Along the lines of the attractions that may have different queues, but have rides that are very similar between both parks, would also be Dumbo (only one set of elephants, but same basic experience), the Carousels (different animals/themes, but same basic experience), and the Tea Cups (different queue, but again, same basic experience).

HydroGuy's A DLR Guide for WDW Vets also talks about the similar and different attractions.

Thank you all for your insight. Tea Cups, Dumbo, Carousels, and the ones with the different queues, I will skip initially, then if I have time, I will go back and do them. I have 3 full days and 2 half days = 4 days, I suppose. Do you think I will have enough time to hit everything? I work in Attractions at MK and I'm most excited to do the rides that I work at in WDW as I will notice every single detail of difference in each. LOL

I have 3 full days and 2 half days = 4 days, I suppose. Do you think I will have enough time to hit everything?
I think you'll have time to do a lot of things, but I'm not sure you'd have time to do everything. It also depends on when you're going (peak season, non-peak season, weekends versus weekdays, etc.) and if everything includes all of the shows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter