Ideas for Washington DC Christmas Trip

momto3kids

Earning My Ears
So the big gift from DH & I for the kids this year is that on Christmas Day we are leaving for Washington DC. The kids are DD 14 (almost 15), DS 12 and DS 10.

I have the books and a general idea of what we need to see (Smithsonian's especially Air & Space and American history), National Zoo, the Memorials (and I know Washington Memorial is closed but figure we will see it from outside at least) and are pretty sure we are going to skip the Holocaust Museum because I will spend the rest of the trip crying and the recommendations say best for 12+. We are also considering Ford's Theater and maybe the Spy Museum. My problem is I am used to planning Disney trips and having a minute by minute itinerary so I feel lost and scared that I don't have enough of a plan. :scared:

If anyone has any suggestions or itinerary ideas that would be great - if it helps DH and I haven't been there in over 20 years and DH loves all things history and I'm definitely more than a little ADD so we may split up with kids if needed. DD was there for 8th grade trip last year but only for 2 days so she feels like she didn't get to see enough and she will be thrilled to go back and she has a ridiculously long attention span (spent 2 hours at the rocks and gems exhibit reading everything :faint:, DS 12 is a math/science geek and wants to know pretty much everything and DS 10 is like his mother - inquisitive but relatively short attention span so to make everyone happy we need to move but not too quickly and again we are definitely open to splitting up if it makes sense.

We are arriving late on Christmas night and staying until Sunday afternoon so that gives us 3 1/2 days or so (we are planning to leave around 3 pm on Sunday). Thanks in advance for any help - really excited about the trip but really need more structure to my day then we have now.

I asked this a while back and the consensus was that the Smithsonian collection at Udvar-Hazy in Chantilly, VA, is well worth a day. It is part of the Air & Space museum and has a shuttle, Concorde, and other aircraft on display.

It has been almost 20 years since I visited Ford's Theatre but I remember really enjoying the museum on the lower level. We saw a show there (school trip) but the Lincoln museum made just as much an impression as the show itself.

I think you made the right call about the Holocaust museum - it was very intense and disturbing to me at 16, and while I know they say 12+ I don't think my 12yo is quite ready for it. Learning about the events in history class is one thing; the experience of that museum is something else entirely.

I know what you mean about being used to Disney planning. Other than the day we're renting a car to go out to Udvar-Hazy I don't have anything about this trip pre-planned. I know where we're staying and have a short list of restaurants that looked worth a try, and I know which attractions we'd like to hit (the monuments, the Smithsonian museums, and the National Zoo) but when we get there we'll mostly be winging it which just feels weird to me!

ETA: Are you obsessing over the weather forecast yet? I've been watching pretty much since I got back from Florida on Tuesday, hoping for at least 40s and dry. No matter what, the weather will have to be better than here in Michigan, right? ;-)

Museum of American history is great too, especially for the ten y old. A tour of the capital is fun. National archives to see the constitution. Arlington national cemetery. You can go into the Supreme Court. Shopping in Georgetown.

Our favorite is the Museum of Natural History. You could also go through the National Archives and there is a modern art museum not too far either. The Christmas trees would be neat to see and/or the White House.

If you go to Georgetown, you could visit Georgetown Cupcakes - DC Cupcakes if you watch the show. The kids watched the show and enjoyed seeing it in person.

I don't think you will have trouble filling 3 days. There is so much to see!

We just got back from a short trip to DC! We had good success with the natural history museum ( the staff was great with the kids) and the zoo. We easily spent 4 hours at each. A note about the zoo. They were doing a night time event for anyone. They have the whole place decked out in Christmas lights. We didn't stay till dark but it looks like it would be great. Might want to go there early evening so you can see all the lights.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My husband and I went on a trip to DC just over 5 years ago, spent 5 days, and still left feeling like we hadn't even touched the place--and we were on the move all day, every day. So right now I think it would be a good idea to pick some of your absolute must dos and place them at the top of the list and then work down from there.

If you want to be more organized I would take a look at a map of different attractions and really plan how you want to tour based on that map. There were several times where we would hike clear down the mall to see one thing and then think it's just back up the mall the other way. We went back and forth and at the end of the day our feet were killing us.

The Mall itself could literally take all 3 days. If you wanted to do a more "off-site" day where you could take in Mt. Vernon (Washington's home), The Arlington Cemetery/Kennedy's grave, and the museum a pp talked about--I would do that first. Then I would spend one full day just focused on the mall itself choosing which museums are your must dos. Then for the last day I would focus on some of the other things that are in DC but off the actual mall.

Good luck! We can't wait to go back and take our kids with us!!

I will definitely add Udvar-Hazy to our list - it looked really interesting in the guidebook but wasn't sure if it was worth it and for the support on Ford's Theatre as I really do think the kids will enjoy it and I am definitely watching the weather - can live with cold but joining you in hoping for dry as there's nothing worse than cold and wet. :crazy2: When are you going to be there?

I asked this a while back and the consensus was that the Smithsonian collection at Udvar-Hazy in Chantilly, VA, is well worth a day. It is part of the Air & Space museum and has a shuttle, Concorde, and other aircraft on display.

It has been almost 20 years since I visited Ford's Theatre but I remember really enjoying the museum on the lower level. We saw a show there (school trip) but the Lincoln museum made just as much an impression as the show itself.

I think you made the right call about the Holocaust museum - it was very intense and disturbing to me at 16, and while I know they say 12+ I don't think my 12yo is quite ready for it. Learning about the events in history class is one thing; the experience of that museum is something else entirely.

I know what you mean about being used to Disney planning. Other than the day we're renting a car to go out to Udvar-Hazy I don't have anything about this trip pre-planned. I know where we're staying and have a short list of restaurants that looked worth a try, and I know which attractions we'd like to hit (the monuments, the Smithsonian museums, and the National Zoo) but when we get there we'll mostly be winging it which just feels weird to me!

ETA: Are you obsessing over the weather forecast yet? I've been watching pretty much since I got back from Florida on Tuesday, hoping for at least 40s and dry. No matter what, the weather will have to be better than here in Michigan, right? ;-)

Thanks - I'm really tempted to go to Natural History but wondering if it's worth it since we have been to one in NYC and can go back to that one so easily. Not sure if it's hugely different or if there's something special at the Smithsonian one. And the National Archives are definitely on our to do list - how long do you think we should budget there?

Also, I am so excited :banana::banana:about Georgetown Cupcake because after I read your post I looked at their website and they offer gluten free cupcakes in some fantastic flavors and I found out I am glactose intolerant a few weeks ago and the only thing I really miss is cake. Can't wait to eat the gluten free lava fudge cupcake:cloud9:

Our favorite is the Museum of Natural History. You could also go through the National Archives and there is a modern art museum not too far either. The Christmas trees would be neat to see and/or the White House.

If you go to Georgetown, you could visit Georgetown Cupcakes - DC Cupcakes if you watch the show. The kids watched the show and enjoyed seeing it in person.

I don't think you will have trouble filling 3 days. There is so much to see!

I will definitely add Udvar-Hazy to our list - it looked really interesting in the guidebook but wasn't sure if it was worth it and for the support on Ford's Theatre as I really do think the kids will enjoy it and I am definitely watching the weather - can live with cold but joining you in hoping for dry as there's nothing worse than cold and wet. :crazy2: When are you going to be there?

We're heading down early tomorrow morning and are coming home on the 1st. The weather is looking pretty good to me - the lows down there are warmer than our highs up here and only one day with rain in the forecast.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter