Ideas for Surprise Trip? (with engagement)

goof13

Earning My Ears
Hi All,

I've made plans for a trip next year using some helpful hints on the wedding forum, however, my girlfriend doesn't know that we're going yet!

Basically I'm planning on staying at the Swan for 3 nights with dinner at the Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's where I plan to pop the question. :scared1:

I'm still having trouble trying to figure out how to tell her we're going. I was thinking of maybe not saying anything until the morning that we show up to the airport...but do you think it's not fair to not give her enough time to mentally prepare herself for it?

Our anniversary is 2 weeks before it so I was considering making the trip itself to appear as her anniversary gift....but I'm out of creative juices on HOW to do it :confused3

Any ideas or past experiences that anyone can share?

Thanks in advance everybody!

How about setting up some mail to arrive on the anniversary from Tinker Bell, with tickets inside? I did that for my boys. I scanned in a postage meter and changed it in photoshop to say Walt Disney World with the date I wanted on it and then I just put the envelope by the front door and made sure they found it quickly afterwards. Tinker Bell send stuff to our house and she writes with Walt Disney font in about a size 5-7 so it's really tiny. You can see the pixie dust on the envelope. Looks like micro fine glitter that I've seen at Michael's. Maybe you could get an autograph book for her and include that with the tickets. Or a lanyard with some trading pins on it.

Just a couple of things Tinker Bell has done for our family.

Mary

Maybe you can tell her that you are going to another florida destination. Maybe like Tampa Bay. That way she packs herself for the weather and what she will need for theme park touring. Then when you get to the airport tell her the cheapest flight went through Orlando, to keep her guessing. Then you can keep the surprise going until you get on ME or drive a rental car to the swan.

what a fabulous idea proposing at the chef's table. keep in mind y'all will need nicer clothes for this dining experience. she will need to pack accordingly as will you. ties are no longer required, but jackets are. ooohhh......how exciting!!:yay:

I proposed to my wife two years ago next week down at Disney, on a suprise trip. I will be honest with you I did break down and tell her where we were going so she knew what to pack, but I kept other things secret like dinner reservations, what hotel we were staying at, the Christmas Party etc.

Thanks for the great ideas so far everybody! What if I tell her we're going to Miami but I had to fly to Orlando to transfer first, and that we're going out to eat at a very fancy restaurant one night so that she can pack for the day, and for the night at Chef's Table?

Any other input? I think it's starting to come together, but the more ideas the better!

Thanks again!

I agree with telling her you are going somewhere in FL, telling her to pack something nice, and with doing it on your anniversary. I would also tell her to pack something good to do some touring since you "may" do some sight-seeing while there.

Good luck!!! I know she will be so excited! Keep us updated too!

I don't have any ideas for you but I think this is fantastic!! Good luck with everything.

Does she love the beach? I'm asking because I was wondering if she thinks you are going to Miami or Tampa, will she be getting excited for the beach? I would rather the trip to Disney but I know that a friend of mine would be seriously bummed if she found out she wasn't going to the beach at all.

Also, has she been to Disney before? There are several things that I always bring that I would want to have with me if I was going. Does she have anything like that? If you know about it make sure that she packs it or that you secretly pack it in your case.

GOOD LUCK! Any way it all pans out, she will have a happy memory! Don't worry if it doesn't happen like you wanted - my DH proposed to me in his apartment over take-out while we were rushing to get to a concert because the first THREE tries (unbeknownst to me) had all failed! I still was surprised and really happy and now it makes for a great story!

You need to tell her you are going to Disney. When I go to Disney I pack totally different things than I do for other parts of Florida. (Different shirts, definitely different shoes, ect)

You could order a set of mouse ears from Disney merchandising. I definatly think you should tell her you're going to Disney.

If she's already got a ton of fancy dresses and such, then tell her to pack one. If not, you could also surprise her with a nice little trip to the mall for dress shopping.

You could disguse it as the resort photopass session. Tell her you want to do that for keepsakes for your anniversary. That way when you get all dressed up in a jacket, it won't raise questions. You might also be able to talk to the photopass photographers at the Grand if there's any way for them to capture the moment for you. They do a special package at CRT, and it comes with a crystal slipper with a rose bud to put the ring on it.

When I did it with Kari, I told her we were going to PI for the night, this was just a couple weeks before PI closed. So it kinda made an excuse for the nicer outfits. We were at the Wilderness Lodge watching the Electric Water Pagent, as we passed through the lobby we were stopped for a "magical moment".
Of course kari's mind always thinks the worst like I'm going to leave her for some rich guy or something... She's such a pain to convince that my surprises are good ones.

Or you could convince some one to mail you one of the Mickey balloons, and have a card tied to the end of the balloon like they did in the commercials this year.
And don't tell her too soon, you don't want her to try and take over the planning of your vacation. Tell her with just enough time to inform every one that she gets to go to Disney, and pack her bags. Maybe like 3 or 4 days.

You could maybe arrange with the pastry chef at V & A's to make you a little cake that says "(name), will you marry me?" on it, to be brought out for dessert. That's what my husband did--I loved it!!! And we were not even at WDW!! I'm sure the V&A staff would make a lovely, big deal out of it if you wanted them to. :wizard:

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!

She's only been to Disney once before (with me a couple of years ago), but she's been REALLY itching to go back! I really wanted to keep it from her as long as possible so I'm so torn on the fence of whether to just tell her in advance, or make her think she's going someplace else.

I haven't spoken to Chef's Table yet about how it will all be set up, I figure I have plenty of time to figure that out...I still need to get the ring and whatnot.

So Grand Floridian has their own Photopass team that can be at the Chef's Table for the big moment? I wanted to have professionals there but it might be expensive if I hired someone.

Also as a side note, I was planning on having breakfast the following morning at Cinderella's Royal Table to celebrate...can Photopass be there as well? I was even thinking of going outside the castle after breakfast to take a couple of "just engaged" pictures to bring home (I know it'll be too early for her to prepare for an "engagement photoshoot" but I'd at least like to get some Disney engagement photos in there)....does Photopass do stuff like that?

Anyone have any other ideas or hints about things that people don't typically think of on how we can celebrate the occasion while we're there?

Thanks again!

If it were me, I would want a little notice that I'm going to Disney. Not that I would say no if it was last minute though! :rotfl:

I like the idea of the trip being the anniversary gift - then she has 2 weeks to prepare. You could present it in some cute way - maybe a big box with Disney balloons that float up when she opens it with a sign... "Pack Your Bags Princess! We're Going to Disney on _____!!"

A couple of years ago, my husband planned a surprise cruise for my birthday, his intention was to tell me on my birthday, and we were to leave three days later.

I accidentally discovered the secret about a week before my birthday and though it would have been a lovely surprise, I was glad that I had found out. I had chance to shop for clothes, and I also had the extra week of excitement and anticipation.

I don't think telling her will detract at all from the wonderful vacation surprise you have planned.

Also, talk to Disney guest services, I am sure they can help you put your plan for the engagement together as they must have many requests. While we were there last year, we saw one guy propose in front of the castle.

As for how to tell her, what about ordering a free planning DVD, then settling down for a night in of watching a movie and putting that DVD on?

Make sure to book your table at V & A well in advance.

This is a tough question.

I would probably be inclined to take her out to dinner a few days prior and spring it on her by giving her a card with the plane tickets in it or something. That way she has alittle time to prepare.

On the other hand, you could tell her in advance that you are planning a trip to your parents or something that wouldn't seem too exciting. You could pack another bag on for her and keep in the trunk and then spring it on her when you pull into the airport.

You know her better than anyone else but I think most people would like a little notice. Even if it's just a few days it would still be very exciting.

If you will be having a rental car you might really give serious thought to flying in to Tampa. The drive from TPA is only about 30-40 minutes longer than the drive from MCO. You would get off I-4 at Exit 60, which takes you up World Drive and right through the Main Gate.

Great points were made...I think I'll just let her know on our anniversary, that way she has 2 weeks to prepare. Now I just need to work on how I'll tell her :)

Does anyone have any answers to the other questions I asked (photopass, etc.)?

Thanks again!

Honestly, if you will be too sneaky about vacation, she will suspect that you planning something else as well, esp. if you play somewhere in Florida card but take a nice dress. She would also ask you to show her what hotel you got and so, so you may end up sinking. Keep it simple. Yes you got vacation and yes, you got a great ADR, so she will be prepared to have a good time, and the rest will be suprise, after all your main surprize is proposal not vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter