• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ideas for reveal of surprise guest at wdw

I was struggling to come up with a good idea for this, but then we lucked into a good surprise last April. My parents were coming down to surpise their grandkids. My kids thought they could never possibly go because my mom has very bad vertigo (among other health issues)and will not fly. But they decided to attempt to take the train down (from NYC). The train ride down went well and they arrived in WDW late morning when we were in MK (we had flown down a couple of days earlier). They called me and said they were checked in and heading to MK to meet us. The "problem" was, we couldn't get to the front of the park to meet up with them as that morning we were selected to be the Grand Marshalls for the Festival of Fantasy parade and had to be over by Splash Mntn - where the parade starts. Whne I explained the situation to the CM who selected us he told me to have them wait near the end of the parade route - by the firehouse. When we got to the end of the route in the Grand Marshall's car, and our kids spotted their grandparents...the look on their faces was priceless!!! :wizard: We then had a private little section to watch the parade together.
That's a great story, may I ask how you were selected for the parade?

That's a great story, may I ask how you were selected for the parade?

We were just sitting at our table in Crystal Palace having breakfast when a CM came to our table and started chatting with us (how are you? where are you from? where are you staying? etc.) for about 5 minutes. Then, he says he wanted to offer us something. Naturally, the first instict is to think he's selling something, so he then immediately followed with that he wasn't selling anything. He then proceeded to ask us if we would like to be Grand Marshalls. Of course, we said yes.

We were just sitting at our table in Crystal Palace having breakfast when a CM came to our table and started chatting with us (how are you? where are you from? where are you staying? etc.) for about 5 minutes. Then, he says he wanted to offer us something. Naturally, the first instict is to think he's selling something, so he then immediately followed with that he wasn't selling anything. He then proceeded to ask us if we would like to be Grand Marshalls. Of course, we said yes.

That sounds like a really fun day

Take the photobombing in front of the castle a step further....get the photopass photographer involved. Have him/her "try" to get a picture and start getting annoyed with the guy who keeps photobombing your shot. The photographer could apologize to your family, explaining that he's trying to wait until that guy behind you gets out of your shot....which will probably lead to everyone in your family turning around to see who the annoying guy is. Surprise! The added bonus is, if your photographer is on the ball, they'll be snapping pictures the whole time so you'll get those cool shots, too.

I looooove this idea!! It captures the moment and memory, and it's funny/cute :) this one has my vote!

We try to surprise the kids as much as possible. Its kinda getting hard to do now that they are older. Their first trip to WDW was a surprise and it took two days to drive to WDW which made it really hard to keep secret. They asked lots of questions but we always managed to be vague. :rotfl2: A few times they asked if we were going to the beach and I refused to answer. Eventually, the light bulb went on in my head and when they asked again if we were going to the beach, I said yes....

When they saw the gate at the WDW entrance they started yelling and screaming. Then they realized that I had said we were going to the beach and they were screaming that I lied! I said just wait....

They understood that I had NOT lied when we pulled into the resort and they saw the sign for....

CBR! :rotfl2:

On the first trip, and follow on trips, my parents surprised the kids by showing up at various times.

At WDW the surprises were:
  1. The parents got to the resort around dawn, came up to the room and woke the kids up.
  2. Surprised the kids when they rounded the corner at the bus stop and saw grandma and papa sitting there waiting for a bus.
  3. Timed it so that grandma and papa hid behind the "tree" trunks in the AKL lobby and surprised the kids when they walked by.
  4. The grandparents knocked on the room door later in the day and we had the kids open the door.
  5. At Vero Beach, the grandparents were sitting in the lobby waiting for the kids to come off the elevators.

Non WDW vacation surprises.
  1. Grandma and papa were sitting in a condo we rented at an NC beach. The kids walked into the condo and there were the grandparents.
  2. The grandparents were sitting in rocking chairs in the lobby of a Hampton Inn when we walked in. What was funny was the lobby was dark and it was very bright outside so the kids did not see the grandparents at first because their eyes had not adjusted to the dim light.

We have not been to WDW since 2011 and this year we are returning. We are staying at BLT, somehow we managed to get MK view rooms! :cool1: The kids don't know we are staying at BLT! :rotfl2:

We surprised grandma and the kids one year with an Illuminations Cruise. :thumbsup2 That was a big hit and well worth the money.

Later,
Dan

Does your brother scuba dive? If so, you could have him in the tank in the Seas pavilion while you and your family stroll by during the dive... he could be holding a "Hi, Mom!" sign...

Does your brother scuba dive? If so, you could have him in the tank in the Seas pavilion while you and your family stroll by during the dive... he could be holding a "Hi, Mom!" sign...

WOW that would be AWESOME!!! I dont even know how I would plan that?

WOW that would be AWESOME!!! I dont even know how I would plan that?

There's a Seas diving tour that you pay for - I'm guessing if you booked that, you could arrange with the cast members to add in the sign and waving!

Disney is really great about things like this and many of the CM's will be more than happy to help. Do you remember what was a ride that you rode at one of the parks? I would maybe go on the ride with your mom, maybe talk about how you remember doing this with your brother the last time you were all together, and then have him surprise her outside the ride. Or have him meet you at the grand floridian. Get her in the elevator on the top floor and have him be standing outside the elevator on the bottom floor with open arms or vice versa. You could probably arrange a character meet and greet at a park too. Just let a CM know that you want your brother to come up and surprise your mom with you and they can maybe sneak him in a back way. Another cute idea is at the founders statue in MK. Where there is the bench with minnie mouse, have your brother sitting on the bench looking towards the castle and then tell your mom that you want her to sit on it and take her picture and then when they turn around she will see them. Or better yet, have her sit on the bench and then have them come up behind and surprise her! then you can get it on the camera and she can remember it forever! OOOOOO there are so many cute things you can do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter