Ideas for "extra" things to add on to my trip wanted

calablovedisney

DIS Veteran
Hi! In preparing for our upcoming trip I am trying to think of something new and different. After our 1st trip I have tried to plan something new during each new trip. So, one year it was Cirque du soleil, another we went during the holiday season for Osbourne Lights and finally saw Fantasmic and we did the Xmas party. I am sure there are places in Disney we have not been and seen, but I am looking for ideas for possible tours or "extras" that you can buy (included with reg. park tix even better!) Maybe a surprise for the family.
me, my dh, and 2 dds, ages 12 and 14 at time of trip.

Some information that may help....myself and oldest dd love animals, so anything extra at animal kingdom might be great.
my youngest dd wants to be a future Disney imagineer so anything having to do with history, or secrets of the parks would be great as well. We have also been reading the Kingdom Keepers books together and she is loving those.

so any ideas and experiences will be great. If you have done something you think may be good (or not good) please tell why or why not.

thanks!!!

If you're interested in tours, I think those are a great way to learn more about the magic! Unfortunately your kids aren't old enough for the Keys To The Kingdom tour (which I personally think is like the pinnacle of all tours -- they take you down into the utilidors!).

The Undiscovered Future World is one that I've always wanted to do. It takes you around the FW pavilions and teaches you a bit about the history and heritage of Epcot. The only tour I've ever actually done is the Behind The Seeds tour in The Land. I'm not a gardener or anything, but it was still really interesting to learn about the different technologies The Land uses to cultivate their crops. Also, it was a really inexpensive tour :]

Here's a great website that outlines most (if not all) of the tours offered at Walt Disney World right now. http://allears.net/btp/tours.htm

Keep in mind that most of the tours offer some sort of discount, whether it's for an annual pass, DVC, Disney Visa, Cast Member, AAA, etc etc...

Wild Africa Trek at Animal Kingdom. (Unfortunately, many of the tours are for 16 and up, but it sounds like your family would like this one.)

Dine with an Imagineer -- either lunch at Hollywood Brown Derby (at Hollywood Studios) or dinner at Flying Fish

The most recent Birnbaum's guide book has a "Kingdom Keepers Quest" in it that you can do on your own.

I was thinking about doing the Walt Disney: Marceline to Magic Kingdom tour this summer with my DS(12)-he's my Walt fanatic- you have to be 12 to do that tour. It is $34.

We've done the fishing twice-once near MK & once near Epcot. Had a great time in both places.

We're getting Premium AP's for the first time so we'll try the water parks and DH & DS and oldest DD want to try golfing at Oak Trail.

MY oldest also wants to try the archery experience at Ft Wilderness.

We've done a lot of extras. I would recommend the fireworks cruises, parasailing, cabana rental at pool or waterpark, spa treatments. Some of the tours are fun but most have age restrictions.

My absolute favorite extra was a private event arranged through a company called Gifts of a Lifetime. We did a treasure hunt inside MK and had a blast. It was a surprise for our kids and in 25 WDW vacations, it remains the best overall experience.

The two extras we've planned and are really looking forward to are the Spirit of Aloha Luau - they used to have a similar thing at DL and I have a family photo of us there when I was little, and I am obsessed with Polynesian/Hawaiian/Samoan culture. We're going to try and re-do the photo but with MY family as a present to my mom. It's a sort of a "look what you did!" kinda thing. :lmao: However, this thing is EX-PEN-SIVE!!!! Like, wow.

The other thing we're going to be doing is the tethered hot air balloon in DTD. The price is actually reasonable for Disney standards and is $16 for an adult, 10 minute ride, I believe.

Unfortunately, I think your kids are very much at the in-between stage. Too old for the stuff geared towards the younger crowd, and too young for the stuff they'll let adults do. :(

Not a park tour, but just wondering if your youngest has read any of the "Imagineering Guides". They have one for each park, There's some interesting stuff in them.

The Family Magic Tour is fun, but depending on your kids, they may feel it's too "kiddish" for them. I did it as an adult and loved it! But I'm a kid at heart.

My wife and I actually really enjoyed the Archery at Fort Wilderness. It is inexpensive ($16) and lasts about 90 minutes. We has kids to senior citizens on the adventure.

We've done:

the family tour in MK - lots of fun

HDDR (or one of the other dinner shows)

Search for paint brushes on TSI

fireworks cruise

The kids pirate cruise (but your kids are a bit old for that)

This trip we are going to do the WAT. I would also like to dine with an imagineer or animal expert - both that would be great for your kids.

We've done:

the family tour in MK - lots of fun

HDDR (or one of the other dinner shows)

Search for paint brushes on TSI

fireworks cruise

The kids pirate cruise (but your kids are a bit old for that)

This trip we are going to do the WAT. I would also like to dine with an imagineer or animal expert - both that would be great for your kids.

They do not do the pain brushes anymore :(

They do not do the pain brushes anymore :(

Bummer :sad1: You know, after I typed that I was wondering if they still did it. The last time we actually got one was in 2007.

In 2008 they said they were there, but we didn't find one. Just as we decided to call it quits, we missed a raft. We were a little bummed because we had spent a while and wanted to get going. But we got on the next raft, and when we got back to the "mainland", there was a CM. She took all of us on the raft back around that little house thing at the dock. She had a big duffle bag, and announced that we had just received a magical moment! We got the lanyard with the fast passes for all the rides with fastpasses and some without (like HM). I think there were ten total. We were no longer bummed about the paintbrush!

But anyway, back to the paintbrushes...I can't remember if we tried after '08, so do you know when they stopped?

momto3gr8boys said:
Bummer :sad1: You know, after I typed that I was wondering if they still did it. The last time we actually got one was in 2007.

In 2008 they said they were there, but we didn't find one. Just as we decided to call it quits, we missed a raft. We were a little bummed because we had spent a while and wanted to get going. But we got on the next raft, and when we got back to the "mainland", there was a CM. She took all of us on the raft back around that little house thing at the dock. She had a big duffle bag, and announced that we had just received a magical moment! We got the lanyard with the fast passes for all the rides with fastpasses and some without (like HM). I think there were ten total. We were no longer bummed about the paintbrush!

But anyway, back to the paintbrushes...I can't remember if we tried after '08, so do you know when they stopped?

Early January 2012.

WOW, what a great list for me to explore. So many good and interesting suggestions! THANKS!

Yehaa Bob in the lounge at POR on Wed-Sat nights. Great family show, and free.

Just booked POR so we will have to do this. Been there before, but kids were younger and in bed early.

Not a park tour, but just wondering if your youngest has read any of the "Imagineering Guides". They have one for each park, There's some interesting stuff in them.

NO!! What are these guides? She would love them. Considering the dine with and Imagineer, but wonder if I should wait until she is older and still interested in it. I will check it out.
My oder daughter would probably prefer the animal trek, but think they both might like the archery thing. One has been asking for a bow as she is interested in archery (like Annabeth in Percy Jackson and now Katniss in Hunger Games)

There are 4 books one for each park, and each is less than $10. They might even be cheaper on eBay or at your local library. I think your daughter would love them.

Here's the description for The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom from Amazon.

The Imagineering Field Guide series answers the question: “What would it be like to walk through a Disney park with an Imagineer by your side?” A lot of fun, actually! And extremely interesting. The Imagineering Field Guide to the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World provides that experience—explaining large concepts and pointing out subtle details, revealing stories, back stories, and Imagineering insights never before heard, and showing sketches, paintings, and schematics used to develop the look of each attraction, condensed into a portable, easily referenced park guide.

These user-friendly, beautifully illustrated guides are innovative and entertaining books that will enrich the guests’ time at the happiest places on earth. And now the series is being updated to include all the new attractions, shows, and lands in the Disney parks.

Who better to tour you around the Disney parks than the Imagineers who created them? And what better than to have the most recent insider information? It’s all in the Imagineering Field Guides.

How about the Wishes dessert party if you can get a reservation? I want to try that next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter