Ideas for carry-ons for my kids!

Luvin*Livvy

Mouseketeer
We will be travelling with our 3YO and 6YO daughters. (last time they were 9mths and almost 4).

My kids are wonderful and I love them to pieces...BUT we will be waking them at 5:30/6am for an 8:30 flight....and I'm a bit nervous for the storm....errrr I mean.... flight. I want to be prepared and have enough for them to do, keep them occupied and quiet (my 3 year old has a mouth on her and talks NON-STOP) for the 3 hour flight!

I am going to pack them each their own carry-on..their school backpacks so they can carry them on their backs or hook them to the stroller in the airport.

So.....give me your creative/good ideas of things you've brought on the plane to keep your kids occupied!

I already know I'm bringing my laptop and headphones for each so they can watch a movie and 2 or 3 DVDs.
A small blanket and pillow (that folds up in each other) our flight home doesn't get us home until late.
And some crayons and Disney printables that I got from a website!

Gum and lollipops too!

Thanks!!!

Pipe cleaners for them to bend and make stuff - I got a pack from the dollar store last time and they were a hit!

Try looking at the Easter goodies at shopko! I found a couple cheap My little pony pack (the kind that are in bags so you cant tell what they are), and some fun disney charcters. I would also pick up some goodies from dollar tree. I know magentic games are a hit with our girls but there older (may not be so good for a 3yo)

Pipe cleaners for them to bend and make stuff - I got a pack from the dollar store last time and they were a hit! :: Awesome idea!! i'm going to do this with my 3 yr old for our car/train ride!! (it's a LOT longer than a plane!! lol)

one thing I had planned (before reading this post) was to have a seperate bag ready with small things - snacks and small toys (like the pipe cleaners) so that every so often I can take something new out to play with/snack on to keep things interesting for our 3 y/o. The other thing that really works for long car rides is his V-Reader!!! (I plan to get a few new cartridges for him to discover!!)

We are leaving in 6 days (woo hoo!) and here are some of the things that I've packed for my 2.75 year old DS for a 3 hour, 7AM flight. I've decided to store half the things in his own preschool backpack and the other half in my carry on. I hope that I don't need to give all of these goodies to him during the flight because I want to space it out throughout the vacation.

-Snacks (pretzels, lollipops, leftover Valentine Days's chocolate, Horizon milk boxes, juice boxes, dry cereal)
-His favorite blanket (can't travel anywhere without it)
-Airport/airplane themed books and stickers. It'll be DS's first flight! I've ordered a few inexpensive paperback books from Amazon and picked up a pack of airplane stickers from the dollar store.
-Brand new movies that he's never seen that I've downloaded (no DVD cases because it takes up space) onto our mini laptop and his own panda head shaped headphones (also ordered from Amazon).
-Brand new Winnie the pooh coloring book and new pack of crayons (dollar store)
-Toy Story themed Crayola magic marker book kit, the kind where the markers show up only on the "special" paper.
-small wind up toys.
-New childrens apps/games for my iphone, because that is my one last resort when everything else fails: the iphone :rotfl: Or like my son likes to call it, My iphone!

I've also been saving unopened Mcdonald's Happy Meal toys, to pack along as well.

I got this idea from the boards: I've loosely wrapped all his new goodies in leftover Christmas/birthday wrapping paper, so it'll be like I'm giving him a special present each time. I only loosely wrapped them, just in case airport security wants to take a closer look at crayons, books and stickers ;)

I like the pipe cleaner idea! I'm going to out and get those asap :)

Forgot to mention:

In addition to the dollar store, check out your local Goodwill/Salvation Army store. I've found a brand new, still wrapped in plastic, official Disney autograph book for $1!

What airline are you flying? I ask because several airlines now have seatback entertainment systems. We usually fly JetBlue out of Newark and when mine were younger (they are now 7 & 10), I use to bring tons of stuff but found that they were mesmerized by having control of their own little TVs!

We just made sure we brought ear phones or buds that they liked and we were pretty much set.

Now a days, my 7 year old has an ipod touch (thank you grandma) and we make sure it's loaded with some new stuff before we leave.

What airline are you flying? I ask because several airlines now have seatback entertainment systems. We usually fly JetBlue out of Newark and when mine were younger (they are now 7 & 10), I use to bring tons of stuff but found that they were mesmerized by having control of their own little TVs!

We just made sure we brought ear phones or buds that they liked and we were pretty much set.

Now a days, my 7 year old has an ipod touch (thank you grandma) and we make sure it's loaded with some new stuff before we leave.

United Airlines
I have no idea if they have little TVs or not! :confused3 I guess I should check it out! We normally fly JetBlue or Continental out of Newark, but we didn't book this flight...my husband's company did! But good point and something I need to look into!

Hooray for Disney with little tykes! I can only imagine that 6 & 3 is such a FUN age to be at Disney!!! :) :)

anyways... I work at a Toy Store and this is what I see folks buying for the little ones for travel:

--Sticker Books (lots and lots of sticker books! haha) - Usborne Sticker Dolly Dressing Books are my favorite
--Magnetic games - Imaginetics! by IPlay has a huge variety of magnetic play-scenes that fold closed like a book. Everything from Hangman to Ponies!
--Small Crafts - obviously things that don't need glue or paint. Sticky Mosaics are a sticker-by-number craft that comes in many styles and sizes.
--Coloring books - you can never go wrong with these! I love the idea of the Crayola markers that only show up on the special paper.

Don't forget about a good ol' blank notebook and some crayons/markers too! Have the kids draw their favorite characters - or draw pictures to GIVE to their favorite characters :)

We also sell lots of the small trinkets for travel, too. Like someone else mentioned - this way you can pull something new and exciting out if they get restless.

I know last year when I went to Disney there were TONS of kids on our flight with Pillow Pets. Which seems so perfect! They can use it as a pillow if they want to sleep, snuggle with it, or play with it! Not gonna lie, I was jealous that I didn't have one to use on the plane haha.

I always make a trip to TJ Maxx or Target or Michaels, and I get a few items of "busy work" that DD hasn't seen before. Usually it is some type of Disney princess art or paper doll set. I've gotten color wonder sets (warning although they are generally no mess, the glitter ones will shed all over the airplane seat- I'm sure the people after us were certain they had been pixie dusted). I've gotten sticker books or sets of activity books (coloring books; maze/puzzle books; spot the object books). DD likes to doodle, so usually I get her a set of some type of different type of pens- glitter ink, neon ink pens, pastel ink pens etc. and a little journal of blank pages. The trick is to make it new and something she has not seen before, at least until we packed it in her back pack. That way she is excited to be able to get it out and open it on the plane. DD likes books, so I always will bring a couple of books we can read on the plane or in the room too.

I love the idea of pipe cleaners!!

We brought color wonder coloring books and markers on our last flight, and it was great. No mess, which is key!! I also put a small container in their bag to hold the markers and caps so they wouldn't roll off the tray.

Several years ago, we got markers where the tops remained attached even when they were uncapped. They didn't roll either which was amazingly helpful.

You would be surprised how little you need to keep kids entertained on a plane. Take off is very exciting for them. Then drink service keeps them looking forward to something. And landing is fun too. Really, let them each pick a junky special snack at the airport for them to eat on the plane and it will keep them busy and happy for quite awhile. That and what you have already is perfect.

Hobby Lobby is your friend. Here are some things I've put in the boys' bags in the past:

- a bag of assorted large buttons and plastic cord
- a variety of pipe cleaners in Disney colors...make sure to get sparkly, bumpy, etc.
- small items that they can assemble while on the plane
- playdough: the birthday-party sized cans
- a mini etch-a-sketch
- playing cards
- those markers that only work in the special coloring books
- Mini scrapbooks that contain stickers, etc. They can decorate...then after you get home, they just add their photos.
- a disposable camera...encourage them to take photos of each other, their snacks, out the window, etc.
- The Disney for Kids guide...if it's brand new for the trip, it will entertain them for quite some time.

My boys have never brought electronics on a vacation...I want them to experience the trip itself, not be engrossed in movies and games. Our longest flight was just over 6 hours, and with the items above, they were kept busy the whole time.

I like the $ section at Target.

They have Disney themed color books with crayons and stickers for $1. They are awesome!!!! I would take what ever you already use to entertain them if you are wating at a resturant or when you do craft time at home :)

My kids are pretty frequent flyers and generally I fly with all three alone. We are meeting grandma (from AL) at MCO. We are flying from DFW. I let them pack what they think will keep them busy (4 & 6 year old esp). They have PBK travel backpacks. I explained the "rules" of the airplane several times (as it comes up) prior to the trip: You have to be quiet, you have stay in your seat with your seatbelt on, and you can't kick the seat in front of you. I always bring the DVD player and MY ipad (but allow the kids to use my Ipad on the flight). They have 3DS's they can bring or leappads. I generally try to buy 1-2 BRAND new never seen movies that helps keep their attention. I am hoping the new Chipmunks movie comes out prior to our trip (need to look that up : ) Luckily, our flight is 2 hours and 20 mins (but 3 hrs on the way back).

I bring gum and the only time they are allowed gum is on airplanes. I bring other snacks and drinks (ones that aren't sticky and messy--I used to have a lot of luck with cheerio necklaces).

They generally bring a few colors and coloring books, small toy, etc. And my second child for some reason enjoys playing and eating ice (30 mins of quiet)....whatever goes for me while I need you quiet and sitting on the plane : ) I worry most about my 2 year old...he has his own seat this time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter