• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

IDEAS for before our package starts?

jsgrand0

DIS Veteran
Hello! We are leaving next Friday, and will get into Orlando, LATE that night, so it's a wash. However, our package does not start until Monday. We may be going to visit family, IF they are in town. But there is a chance that business will call them away that weekend. If we cannot go to see them, we will use priceline to book a hotel in the Orlando area, as I figure we can find plenty to do without disney. :scared1:
We do NOT want to spend much money in those couple days before Disney starts, so I figured, we could use that time to tour the resorts (as I wanted to last time we went, but never got the chance) What else can we do that is free or cheap? Also, if I can find a great deal WITHOUT priceline, I wouldn't mind knowing where I am staying...so any suggestions on that are welcome too. Thanks for any ideas!
:scratchin

You could stay at one of the DTD hotels ( I've stayed at the Best western before) and go to DTD to look around and have nice meals.

There's miniature golf at WDW or on Rte 192 that's quite affordable. We went to a place with a jungle theme where we also got to feed alligators. Evening Campfires with Chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness are free and you can buy marshmallows to toast. There's also fishing available with rod rentals very inexpensive or you can bring your own. There are movies on the beach at night at the Beach Club. You can also get to a public beach in about one hour and that's close to Cape Kennedy.

There's miniature golf at WDW or on Rte 192 that's quite affordable. We went to a place with a jungle theme where we also got to feed alligators. Evening Campfires with Chip and Dale at Fort Wilderness are free and you can buy marshmallows to toast. There's also fishing available with rod rentals very inexpensive or you can bring your own. There are movies on the beach at night at the Beach Club. You can also get to a public beach in about one hour and that's close to Cape Kennedy.

The campfire is free? Even if we are not staying at disney yet? Great idea if so! also, can we go to the movies at Beach club if we aren't staying there? Thanks!

Animal Kingdom Like lodge has a great food court for a deluxe resort, free culinary tour for all ages, animals and fire pit, viewing animals through night vision goggles. Get a Dole Whip at Captain Cooke's and watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly......so much to do outside of the parks, hopefully your relatives won't be around! :rotfl2:

Check out Disney's new bowling alley in Downtown Disney. You could also drive out to Cocoa Beach. Hotels are pretty affordable there and it's not a far drive. Beaches are free :) We spent some time at Cocoa Beach before our last Disney trip and it was a very relaxing way to start vacation.

I also agree with DD. There is plenty to see and do there. There are often bands playing and there is the new bowling ally. You could ride the boat to POR and tour that resort. You could listen to Yehaw Bob at the restrant there. We have also stayed at The Caribe before checking into our disney resort and loved it. We got a great mousesavers rate. Good Luck!

If it were me, I'd stay near the airport the first night and then drive out to the beach.

I like the idea of exploring the resorts! Not sure how long you're going to be at WDW, but I'm sure you'll spend most of your package time doing the parks. You can hop the monorails and take in all the Deluxe resorts (walk around the Poly, GF, and CR). Go to the AoA and see the new themes, do the Boardwalk (they always have sidewalk performers), and DTD. If you cruise the resort boards, they post "happenings" that you can check out. Have fun! It's always nice to have a few days of no concrete plans to enjoy your time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter