• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ideas for a TN vacation?

mommy23kids

Earning My Ears
Where would be a good place for a relaxing vacation in TN? We live in Arkansas and my parents live in WV so we are looking to meet in TN for a mini vacation to visit with each other. Not sure where though, really anywhere would be fine. I was thinking maybe a cabin near a lake/river where the kids could swim etc. We want to make this a budget vacation though as we are thinking about a Disney trip in Nov. The kids are missing their grandparents though so wanting to do something before then.

Any ideas?

Where would be a good place for a relaxing vacation in TN? We live in Arkansas and my parents live in WV so we are looking to meet in TN for a mini vacation to visit with each other. Not sure where though, really anywhere would be fine. I was thinking maybe a cabin near a lake/river where the kids could swim etc. We want to make this a budget vacation though as we are thinking about a Disney trip in Nov. The kids are missing their grandparents though so wanting to do something before then.

Any ideas?

I would say Gatlinburg/ Pigorn Forge.

we drove thru pigeon forge years ago on our drive from NY to disney. I remember absolutely loving the place and have always wanted to go back. I believe i was 13 at the time.

I agree with the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. The national park is beautiful -- you should definitely take a picnic lunch to Cades Cove. Plenty of walking trails/sights to see. They have tons of great restaurants (my personal favorite is the Apple Barn), plus tons of outlet shopping!

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge is too touristy for my taste and doesn't sound like what the OP is looking for. Google TN State Parks. Most are on lakes and many have rental cabins. We have a reservation in November for one in Fall Creek Falls. Beautiful area on the Cumberland Plateau. My daughter is getting married next year, probably in Norris Dam State Park. They have one four bedroom cabin that looks incredible and all the park prices are very reasonable.

If you do decide to go to the Smokies, I would suggest avoiding the Gat/PF side and look for something in the Townsend area. You're closer to Cades Cove (which really is lovely) and away from the majority of the tourists. There is a cultural center there with good music about once a week. On that side, you're also near Maryville if you decide you want to go to town for the movies or something.

Sheila

I would say Gatlinburg/ Pigorn Forge.

2nd that. Went 3 years ago and had a great time, and it was relatively inexpensive for a week. Dollywood is very nice, and plenty of other things to do in the area including the massive state park, the Ripley Aquarium (a don't miss from someone who doesn't like zoo's and whatnot), and plenty of shopping and other stuff. Don't know what your budget is, but getting a cabin in the mountains is very cool. I think if you get it through Dollywood's travel page, you get free tickets and some other perks for the park also. There are a ton of cabin services in that area, so be sure to comparative shop if you decide to go that route. Cabins are usually 10-15 minutes off the main drag.

We didn't book through Dollywood last time, because I didn't know about the perks or their rental service. I think the place we used was about $1100 for 6 nights. It was up in the mountains with a great view, 2 bedroom, pool table, kitchen, etc. Definitely was worth it IMO.

If you go, make sure to hit the Wild Plum Tea Room for lunch. It is a little off the beaten path, but is well worth the time to find it. When we were there they only served lunch, and it filled up fast, so we got there 15 minutes or so before they opened. Great food, and ambiance, and this was the meal we remember the most from the trip. The TripAdvisor review can be found HERE.

The whole family enjoyed our time in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area so much, we are planning to go back for Christmas next year, because Christmas is a big deal down there.

Good luck with your planning wherever you decide to go! Tennessee is a great state with a lot of options.

Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge seems like a popular family spot. We are planning a trip for the end of September when the leaves will be changing. We are going to rent a cabin with my BFF and her family, and it turns out to be more affordable than a hotel (but only because we'll be splitting the cost between us). Patriotgetaways.com has lots to choose from, some cabins are even 50% off!!! We plan on a long weekend with trips to Dollywood and possibly the Aquarium. I'm so excited to visit this part of our country and most reviews about the area are very positive. If you are looking for hotels I have heard that the Inn at Christmas Place and Music Road Inn are popular choices, but run at about $150/night depending on your group.

Dollywood is a little on the expensive side at $55/per person, but there is a AAA discount, a 30% military discount, and lots of park and rec offices offer discounts also. But we are big on Amusement parks and are looking forward to visiting a new spot!

I hope you have a great trip wherever you decide to go!

I was planning on Gatlinburg this summer, but that changed. Haven't been there yet, but wanted to add that I spent a lot of my winter looking at cabins in the area on vrbo.com. Some nice looking ones for not too much money! Something to consider is whether one on a steep mountain road, and/or a cabin hanging off the side of a mountain would bother you. We picked one out that is on level ground and not real far away from the main roads. Maybe we can actually go there next year.

I like the touristy areas (like WDW!) because I want a place with lots of things to do. The Gatlinburg area is right next to Smoky Mountain National Park, so you can get both touristy and nature.

Thanks for the suggestions. We were looking at Gatlinburg but seemed pretty expensive considering we could do a cheap disney vacation for about the cost of a Gatlinburg vacation. We had considered going to disney this summer but dread walking in the heat which is why we go in Oct. or Nov. Hadn't thought to check VRBO for places to rent there but have used them 4 times for rental homes in Disney so I will check them out. For myself I am just looking for a relaxing getaway without a whole lot around to do but my dad is not one of those who can just sit around and enjoy the view, he needs something to do when he gets bored. I am on the go constantly and I just want to relax.

We rented a house in Townsend from VRBO a couple years ago. It was absolutely beautiful! We split the cost with my parents so it was about $500 for the week. It was on it's own mountaintop, view was gorgeous! Townsend is nice b/c it's close to the park and close enough to Gatlinburg, but very quiet and tranquil for those who like that :)

My in-laws just bought a cabin in Hidden Springs Resort in Pigeon Forge. It's about 1.2 miles behind Dollywood. It's beautiful there. There's an indoor pool at the resort for the guests to use. We just went this past weekend & had a blast.

My suggestion to avoid overly touristy areas in Fontana Village Resort. There is a very nice pool and activities for everyone to enjoy. Nearby marina offers fishing near the Fontana Dam. This resort is located on the NC-TN border south and west of Gatlinburg.

Rather inexpensive (lodge rooms sub $100 mid week), and they have cabins also.

Here is a link. http://www.fontanavillage.com/

Found this place when traveling on motorcycles through the smokies. My suggestion is motion sickness pills for the entire car because of the GREAT TWISTIES that you will travel on to get to the resort.

We vacationed in Pigeon Forge last summer and found it to be overly touristy for our tastes and I don't think we would ever stay there again. It's stip mall after strip mall trying to get you to spend your money. Gatlinburg was a little nicer and had more of a town feel, but also all geared toward the tourist. I suggest staying somewhere outside of the actual towns. Trip Advisor might help you find someplace close. As far as things to do, I would definitley venture into the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. The State Park was awesome and offers some great hiking trails of all difficulties, and they're FREE. Also, there's a big Zip Line place down there that takes you through the mountains. I had never Zip Lined and it was amazing. White water rafting is available in the area and is a nice family activity for all ages. Our youngest was 4y.o. and he had a great time. Even Dollywood was surprisingly good. A very clean park and again has something for all ages. All in all, we had a good time and the Smokey Mountains are definitely worth seeing. Have fun.

I have not read all the pp but I HATE the traffic and crowds in pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg to me that is not relaxing at all every place you go to eat you have LONG waits if the food is any good. I love Nashville, there is a lot to do show pools rooms are reasonable and the shopping is great! They are prepared to handle a lot of traffic so it is not bad. With the recent floods I would say you can get a room pretty cheap because they are wanting tourist back!

Here's a link for TN State Parks
http://tn.gov/environment/parks/

Just keep in mind that being a state park generally means you are kinda out in the middle of no where, but they are very relaxing and slow paced. Most of the resort parks have pool, golf courses and some have horseback riding. Montgomery Bell has some brand new cabins that are nice. Of course all of the parks have hiking and nature walks.

oh, and don't rely on cell phones while you are there. Most of them have cell service somewhere, but you might have to stand on a stump, left leg extended and right hand pointed to the north to get a signal:rotfl2:

As long as you are looking to relax without the hustle and bustle of one of the state's tourist towns, you will love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter