ID age proof

the ringmaster

DIS Veteran
I regularly get ID'd in the UK where the drinking age is only 18. Does the ticket/pass look different for over 21s compared to under?
i don't fancy having to cart my passport around all holiday and my driving license is UK and may not be accepted as ID over in WDW.

No it only shows you are 10 and over.

I would think your Drivers lic. would be OK. An US driv. licence is all you need so as long as it has your picture and date of birth I would think it would be fine.

my theory is that most US workers wouldn't know what a UK driving license is enough to be able to tell a real one from a fake one.
I couldn't tell a US real one from fake.

Yeah, the UK driver licenses look sort of fake to me. (My DH moved here from the UK 6 years ago, so I know what it looks like.) I'd think you might need your passport. But people visiting the US are actually legally required to carry a passport and I-94 at all times anyway.

There is a forum on here totally dedicated to UK visitors. It's under Global Neighbors towards the bottom of the first page. I'm sure if you post your question over there, you will get lots of advice and experience on what to do.

What is an I-94 form?

Other than customs the only ID I use is my Canadian driver's licence.It was used to check in aht he resort and airport.

What is an I-94 form?

Other than customs the only ID I use is my Canadian driver's licence.It was used to check in aht he resort and airport.
Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean have slightly different rules.

The I-94 is the white or green card that you fill out and give to Immigration, the bottom part gets stapled into your passport when you enter the US and torn out when you leave. It has your name, where you're staying, and is stamped with the date you have to leave by. I think green (technically called an I-94W) is used if you're here on a visa waiver, which the OP will be, and white for an actual visa. But I could have that backwards. Other countries often have the same sort of form with the same information, but it's called something different of course.

I think the OP only is concerned with proving they are over 21 to buy a drink not whether they are legally here! That is why I think as long as their license has a picture and date of birth he would be fine with it and not his passport. If I'm in Canada I don't carry my passport around and have used an US license for alcohol so I would think Disney would be the same way.

those brittish passports must be really heavy! :lmao::rotfl2:

It's nothing to do with weight, it's to do with being in another country if you lose it and the hoops you have to jump through to get home.

As long as it's a photo Drivers License, it's fine for ID. Brits are crawling all over the central florida region, trust me, they've seen them before ;)

But people visiting the US are actually legally required to carry a passport and I-94 at all times anyway.

I'd actually be interested in a link for that because I've been travelling to the States for years and it's the first I've heard of it.

Obviously we have to be in a position to present it in a reasonable time frame if asked, but to my knowledge, you don't have to have it on your person. My passport and especially my visa (because there is hell to pay if we lose our little stub) stays very firmly in my safe for the entire trip.

I'd actually be interested in a link for that because I've been travelling to the States for years and it's the first I've heard of it.

Obviously we have to be in a position to present it in a reasonable time frame if asked, but to my knowledge, you don't have to have it on your person. My passport and especially my visa (because there is hell to pay if we lose our little stub) stays very firmly in my safe for the entire trip.
Took all my Google-Fu to find it, but here it is on the Customs and Border Protection (i.e. the people who decide whether you get in or not, and actually put the thing in your passport) website: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/cbp_i94w_form.xml
The departure portion of the Form I-94W and passport is to be in the applicant’s possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States.

That page is for the Visa Waiver program. The page for entering on a visa is here:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/filling_out_i94.xml
The departure portion of CBP Form I-94 and passport is to be in the applicant’s possession at all times until the applicant departs the United States.

Now, everyone makes their own decision about whether or not to follow the law and no one follows it all the time. But the official rules say you should have it in your possession at all times.

Legally "possession" and "on your person" are two different beasts, so having it accessible in a timely manner is acceptable. You ARE however legally required to have some form of valid, non-expired, government issued photo ID on your person at all times regardless of nationality in many countries.

As far as the rules for a Canadian citizen (as I saw it asked above by one of us) it is very different then an overseas visitor. We merely need our passport (if traveling by Air, Land, or Sea) or Enhanced Driver's Liscence (if traveling by land or sea) or our NEXUS card (if traveling by airm land, or sea). The same applies to American's entering Canada. As stated above you are required by law to have a valid, non-expired, government issued ID on your person at all times, above a certain age... which I believe is 18.

Legally "possession" and "on your person" are two different beasts, so having it accessible in a timely manner is acceptable. You ARE however legally required to have some form of valid, non-expired, government issued photo ID on your person at all times regardless of nationality in many countries
I work in the legal field, actually. "Possession" in the law means able to exercise immediate control and dominion either directly or through another person (indirect or constructive possession).

If it's in your backpack or on your stroller, you're possessing it. If it's in your husband's backpack and he's at Mission Space and you can call him on his cell phone and say "honey, get over here to Test Track right now with my passport" then that's arguably constructive possession. If you'd have to spend 30 minutes getting a bus across the property and 30 minutes back, that's not possessing.

I should point out here that the US is not one of those countries--a US citizen is not required to have ID.

I work in the legal field, actually. "Possession" in the law means able to exercise immediate control and dominion either directly or through another person (indirect or constructive possession).

I should point out here that the US is not one of those countries--a US citizen is not required to have ID.

I also work in the legal field, respectfully I disagree with you...

Source: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Possesion

Constructive possession is a legal theory used to extend possession to situations where a person has no hands-on custody of an object. Most courts say that constructive possession, also sometimes called "possession in law," exists where a person has knowledge of an object plus the ability to control the object, even if the person has no physical contact with it (United States v. Derose, 74 F.3d 1177 [11th Cir. 1996]). For example, people often keep important papers and other valuable items in a bank safety deposit box. Although they do not have actual physical custody of these items, they do have knowledge of the items and the ability to exercise control over them. Thus, under the doctrine of constructive possession, they are still considered in possession of the contents of their safety deposit box. Constructive possession is frequently used in cases involving criminal possession.

So a safe back at the hotel room DOES constitute possession, legally, and within the United States. As for the requirement to carry the ID, I was refering to foreign nationals within the country. Admitedly I am not sure of the accompanying US law on that topic, but in most countries foreign nationals ARE required to carry ID.

I think the OP only is concerned with proving they are over 21 to buy a drink not whether they are legally here!

But the PP is saying that the UK citizen should have that passport on her at all times during her holiday anyway, so using it for ID to drink alcohol won't be anything extra for her.

popcorn::

But back to the OP's question....

No, your ticket does not indicate your age, just whether you are under or over 10 years.

I'm 25 and I've never been carded at Disney. I'd like to think I could pass for 20 or some age where it would be questionable.

But to be safe, in case you really want a drink, you need to carry some form of ID.

When I travel out of the country, I wear a moneybelt and keep my passport in that. You might want to look in to one of those. They fit around you waist and under your clothing. That way if your bag or wallet gets stolen, you still have the most important documents on you. They make them as 'neck wallet' that can fit under a shirt too.

I am 37 and certainly don't look like I'm under 21. I was asked for ID at Mickey's Backyard BBQ. My friend who is in her "ahem" 40's was not served at the Hoop Dee Do because she did not have photo id with her at the time either.

The only thing that will work for proof of age when it comes to buying alcohal is your state issued ID or drivers licence, passport, or Military Id. I am not sure if Disney accepts IDs from other countries to prove drinking age, but I have worked in restaurants and bars for over 8 years (not anymore), and none of them allowed us to accept IDs from other countries. (I also don't live in Florida, and considering Orlando is a tourist destination, I am sure their rules are different). I would bring your ID to be on the safe side. When I was 23, and was doing the college program at wdw, I lost my drivers licence. My friends were in town, and no one would serve me. I even had a photo copy of my old driver's licence, and a print out from the internet proving my new one was on the way, and nope they wouldn't serve me. I went to wdw last year at the age of 26, and dh 28, and we were both carded every single time. I look like I am 12, but dh is 6'4, and looks his age, and was carded every single time he ordered anything with alcohal. My advice, if you know your are going to drink, bring your passport.

Well it wasn't my intention to start a debate, however, I poked around a bit too. Like you say, it's not exactly the easiest information to dig up but I eventually found this little snippet on the official US Embassy site for the UK.

There was no direct mention of having to carry around your passport on your person however it did comment specifically on the very thing the OP was asking about and actually recommends the following:-

Young drivers may wish to obtain an International Driving Permit to use as a photo ID, in place of a passport, for entry into bars and nightclubs where the minimum age for entry is 21 years.

I do not think they would advise getting a different form of photo ID to replace a passport if you were required by law to carry your passport at all times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter