• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I would stab somebody for a diet soda right now!

Good luck! I stopped drinking my beloved Diet Coke last February, mostly because of all the info about how bad it is for your health. It hasn't been easy and there are still moments when I would love one. I've turned to drinking tea or an iced tea/crystal lite lemonade mix.

You can do it Jess!! I gave up soda cold turkey a little over a year ago (Oct 24) and while I did suffer from the migraines for about 2 weeks I feel so much better now. I have clearer thoughts, I get more accomplished and I have a longer focus and attention span.
I also lost 5 pounds the first month.

I will on occasion have an iced tea, hot tea or an espresso shot with about 16 ounces of milk but for the most part I drink water.

I admire your dedication.

I eat extremely clean - all organic, very little processed or packaged foods, many home grown vegetables, herbs and spices. Rarely do I have gluten or sugar or dairy (unless it's a really exceptional cheese.) No coffee, no cigarettes, no beer.

But my Cherry Coke Zero? That I will never, ever give up. I just love it.

I gave up diet soda cold turkey 4 days ago. I forgot my after workout snack and am starving! I had to drive by 100 drive throughs on the way home, three of them having coke freestyle machines, my ultimate weakness. I made it home and am glaring at the microwave urging it to heat up my healthy premade dinner faster while chugging water. Thank goodness there is no soda in the house, I'm about ready to turn my car keys over to my teen to keep safe until my rational self returns.

Good for you! Congrats for sticking to it!

I also have committed to healthier living for 2013. Giving up soda is hard!!! Especially caffeinated soda as you actually have to go through caffeine withdrawal.

What helped me transition was flavored, sparkling water. I use the Cascade brand (Costco). I get the bubbles that sort of mimicks soda and some flavor. It took a few days before the caffeine (I also switched to decaf coffee) cravings subsided.

I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke at work, but gave it up a few years ago.

I switched to club soda/sparkling water. It was really the "fizziness" I was craving, rather than Diet Coke or any other soda.

Occasionally I still have a Diet Coke if we're eating out, especially with a pizza, but even going out most of the time I'll ask for club soda if the restaurant also has a bar.

At home I make sure I am always well stocked with it, as I hate, hate, hate running out. I buy Schweppe's, no sodium (I try to avoid that if possible), no calories, just water and "fizz." :) I drink it "straight" usually, but sometimes put a slice of lemon or lime in it.

Okay I get your point. I had to stop eating sugar many years ago and remember what the withdrawals were like.
I asked because 1) I have a co-worker who stopped drinking it because she wanted to lose weight ! What? Really? it has ZERO calories. ALSO I though you might be trying to get away from sodium which a lot of the "healthy" microwaveable meals are high in. And,
2) I've thought for years that the artificial sweeteners were bad for you, My Dh drinks many Diet Cokes a day. When I tried to get my MiL who is a food additives chemist to discourage him, she said there is no conclusive evidence that they have any negative health effects. ie. all of the tumor, and cancer reports that have been around for years.
I totally understand the clean living concept, my Chiroproctor and good friend has been preaching it to me for years !!! Just make sure those microwavable foods are 'clean'. Good Luck !
I quit because my BioChem Engineering son, who does this kind of research, has regaled me with all the stuff Aspartame does to your body. While studies have so far proven no ill effects, there are more and more issues being questioned by scientists. The FDA says it is one of the most tested additives and that it is perfectly safe, the ChemE and BioChemE's I know are not so convinced. Our family is not the cleanest eater and DS doesn't get on us for some of the crap we eat.

But Aspartame, he is adamant that nobody in his family ingests it, he feels that strongly about the studies he has done and seen.

I gave up diet soda cold turkey 4 days ago. I forgot my after workout snack and am starving! I had to drive by 100 drive throughs on the way home, three of them having coke freestyle machines, my ultimate weakness. I made it home and am glaring at the microwave urging it to heat up my healthy premade dinner faster while chugging water. Thank goodness there is no soda in the house, I'm about ready to turn my car keys over to my teen to keep safe until my rational self returns.

Well if you realllllly need somebody to stab, I have the perfect person. And the plus, it will either remove your rage from not having a diet soda, or you'll be so disgusted that you'll give up diet soda forever! Win/win, right?

(And though I shouldn't have to say this- I'm kidding, I don't condone violence)

PebblesMK said:
Well if you realllllly need somebody to stab, I have the perfect person. And the plus, it will either remove your rage from not having a diet soda, or you'll be so disgusted that you'll give up diet soda forever! Win/win, right?

(And though I shouldn't have to say this- I'm kidding, I don't condone violence)

Hehe :)

Thanks for all the support everyone :) the fact that this is so hard makes me think it's that much more important to stop. Even seeing a commercial with soda makes my mouth water, how freaking crazy is that?!?!? I know this is the worst of it and I just have to push through until it's easier. I do like club soda but I really think anything fizzy will be enough to make me fall off the wagon, so lots of water for a couple of weeks and then I may add in some club soda or what not. To everyone doing this right now too, be strong!! We can do it :)

Good luck to you! You can do this. I used to drink the hard stuff- regular Coke- sometimes four a day. People make fun of it as an addiction but it really is. I had my last one on September 25, 2007. I realize I can never go back so I don't have any sodas at all...it would be too easy to replace Coke with something else. So now it's coffee, water, or the occasional tea. Stay strong!

You are almost there, trust me. I cut out all soda cold turkey after I had my gallbladder surgery and it was hard for the first couple weeks.

Don't be tempted! Try lemon slices in your water, or fruit juices for a bit of variety.

You CAN do this. It is all psychological.

I also quit my Coke Zero addiction about 4 days ago. I actually have been doing better than I expected. I am drinking water and about half the time adding a little Mio to it. I don't want to add too much too often, because that has artificial sweetener in it, too. I was drinking probably 4 (sometimes more) diet colas a day. It just can't be good for me. I kept rationalizing it by saying, well, I don't drink, smoke or swear so I have to have something! ;)

It has been around three years that I gave up diet soda. I can not stand it anymore. Now I do occasionally drink soda. Only ginger ale or sprite I can't even stand dark colas anymore. BUT I don't crave it like I did before. I stopped getting so many migraines. It was rough for a while but once I stopped craving I stopped liking it.

My drink was diet dr pepper. Nothing was better then opening up a bottle and that first really cold drink:rotfl:I know I am not helping but now that thought grosses me out.

What is a freestyle machine?

Oh, I love those freestyle machines! It is a Coke machine that allows you to specialize your drink by not only pop type (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc) but you can also add a flavor to it, like Raspberry, Lemon, Orange, Lime, Vanilla or my favorite, Cherry Vanilla. I would always get Coke Zero with Cherry Vanilla...yum! Our Moe's and Noodles & Co. restaurants have these, and one of our local grocery stores.

Lucky'sMom said:
Oh, I love those freestyle machines! It is a Coke machine that allows you to specialize your drink by not only pop type (Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc) but you can also add a flavor to it, like Raspberry, Lemon, Orange, Lime, Vanilla or my favorite, Cherry Vanilla. I would always get Coke Zero with Cherry Vanilla...yum! Our Moe's and Noodles & Co. restaurants have these, and one of our local grocery stores.

Yup best(and worst!!) things ever!! We discovered them in universal studios on our last trip. Since then some local places to us have installed them. I think they say there are over 100 choices of drinks from them. I will miss them, not only did I love all the soda combos but it always made me think of our last Orlando vacation :)

I gave diet soda up for Lent, and besides having less indigestion, I really didn't notice any other differences in my overall health. :confused3

That's not very helpful, though, I guess...

I never liked diet soda, but I do drink regular soda at work just about daily. The problem is that I like a little bit of caffeine but i can't drink coffee or tea because they have too much caffeine and make me jittery.

I have found a good flavorful alternative for me though to cut out a lot of the soda. Propel Zero water. Their grape, peach and black cherry flavors are delicious!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter