I won't go to Disney World until I lose at least 50 lbs!

I am right there with ya at the same weight! I am so angry at myself. I was down to 180 and now back up to 240! It's no wonder I am still single :( there is no way I could make a Disney trip in this shape. I can barely clean the house without my back hurting. I need support and advice as well!

WE CAN DO THIS :)

Setting a long term goal of 50 lbs is great, but you need to set more immediate short term goals. I recommend that your goal be small and achievable. 1 pound/week is both, and it has the added benefit of taking a full year for you to reach your bigger goal. By then, you will have achieved a lifestyle change. That should be the ultimate goal, not a weight target.

IMO, the biggest hurdle that people face is tied to the foods that they have trained themselves to enjoy. You need to learn to really like healthy foods, not tolerate them for the sake of weight loss. You need to learn to reward yourself with a carrot stick, not an ice cream - and feel like it is a reward, not a compromise.

One easy recommendation to help you lose weight - log every calorie that you eat. Hold yourself accountable every minute of every day for everything that you put in your mouth. Once you hit your calorie limit for the day, you are done eating (exceptions being zero calorie foods, like most raw vegetables).

You can do this - if you REALLY want to. Do you?

I say to take it one healthier choice at a time. Don't let yourself get potentially overwhelmed by a huge goal. There are solid reasons weight watchers has 5% as the first goal and then 10%. Those amounts make a very big difference in how you feel and often how you look (depending on how your body loses...I lose in my face quickly so I can see a loss immediately).

To the second poster, please don't waste too much time being angry with yourself. What's done is done and what's important is today and the new decisions you will make. Also it will be good to figure out why your habits changed and how you can keep that from happening this time. But you aren't alone. Although losing is hard, it's not as hard as maintaining! But that's something to worry about in the future, not now.

You can do it!

I'd take every small victory as a celebration also. Yes, your goal is 50 pounds. So the first 3 or 5 should be your first goal. You can do that!

I agree to learn to rethink what you enjoy. It's so hard - I let myself totally go this holiday season and am now paying for it by trying to get back down again. I am loving fresh vegetable soup.

I wish you success today and long term!

I let myself go!
I'm nearly 240 lbs.
I need support!

Welcome to W.I.S.H.! You've acknowledged that you need to make a lifestyle change and that's great. You will find lots of support here because most of us have two things in common, weightloss and Disney.:)

I am right there with ya at the same weight! I am so angry at myself. I was down to 180 and now back up to 240! It's no wonder I am still single :( there is no way I could make a Disney trip in this shape. I can barely clean the house without my back hurting. I need support and advice as well!

Yes, you can do this.:thumbsup2 And please don't be angry with yourself, it accomplishes nothing. If you're like me, guilt can put you in a vicious cycle of negative feelings and then self-comforting with food. I've struggled with weight all my life and I always will. But I'll never give up. When we fall off the wagon, we can pick ourselves back up and get right back on!

First, decide what changes you want to make in your eating habits. Whatever you do, don't call it a diet. Then once you decide, strip your fridge and cupboards of any food you shouldn't be eating and go out and buy what you should. Then from there, set mini goals. Smaller goals are more attainable just like another poster said. When you reach a mini goal its very motivating. Celebrate it! What I do when I reach one of my goals is to do something nice for myself. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant, could be a mani/pedi, a new outfit, you get the picture. And if you have time, keep a journal. It can really be helpful in being able to look back to see where you need to make adjustments.

You can do it!:woohoo:

Thanks so much everyone! My biggest down fall is fast food. I am working so hard to drive right past! Not only will it save calories but also save money for Disney!! I am pretty determined to lose weight.

I let myself go!
I'm nearly 240 lbs.
I need support!

U have it from me -:goodvibes

I have lost 104 pounds and have kept 101 of it off of me -

Just came back from a wonderful vacation to the Rose Bowl - luved it!!

My weight loss journey is on the "Wish journals" section of Wish.

Keep us posted -
&
have fun doing this transformation as it WILL change your life

T.T.F.N.:wave2:
&
Cheers Y'all

::yes:: you can!!!

In December 2012 I started my journey to lose weight. I didn't have a specific number in mind, I just wanted to get back down into a place where I liked how I looked again, wasn't afraid to be in pictures and felt confident in my appearance and felt healthy. Fast forward 12 months and I've lost approximately 35 lbs., and I'm hoping for a little more.

DO NOT beat yourself up over how you got here, that will just make you continue to spiral every time you stumble on your weight loss journey (and you will). Every day is an opportunity to make good decisions. This is about changing your relationship with your body and with food. Food is fuel, food is energy. We have to learn to disassociate food as comfort, reward and void-filler.

Tracking, tracking and more tracking. WW system is great, but you can do it on your own if WW is either not appealing or not affordable for you. Most of us are really dishonest with ourselves about what we were actually putting into our bodies, seeing it written down makes us more accountable. Second, find an activity that you LIKE doing...there are so many options to get moving and exercise really is a part of it.

One thing I did is that every time I reached weight-loss mile marker at WW was to allow for a non-food treat. Spa pedicure, new shoes, tickets to a ball game, etc. Those really helped me focus.

Best of luck...you CAN do it.

You can do it!!!!! :cheer2: I find tons of great ideas from Pinterest. I also use Spark People for inspiration and great ideas. Enjoy the journey.

Fast food is so addictive. I don't know what they do to their food, but it is something that it's best to try to just drive past!

Try to keep healthy foods with you, so when you're hungry you can drive by! Sometimes if I know I'm going to be out, I'll put some mini babybel light cheese, some carrots, an apple, etc... in a little lunchbox in the car by me. You'll be surprised how much healthier you'll feel! I know it's hard.

Good luck!

FunDisneyMom said:
I let myself go!
I'm nearly 240 lbs.
I need support!

Thanks for starting this thread! I was almost at the same weight as you about 5 years ago. At that time, I found that Jenny Craig worked for me. I lost 55 lbs and life was good! :-) Now I'm about 15 lbs heavier. :-(
I love the encouragement that everyone is giving here. Great tips - and it's important that everyone find their own way to lose. For me, it has to be convenient. I know a lot of people don't like microwave foods, but they work for me.
Good luck everyone and keep moving forward!

Thanks so much everyone! My biggest down fall is fast food. I am working so hard to drive right past! Not only will it save calories but also save money for Disney!! I am pretty determined to lose weight.

Here's an idea. Each time you get an urge for FF, drive right by. Then once you get home, take the money you would have spent there and put it all in your Dis Jar.

Once a month count it up and learn 2 things:
1. How much money we blow on FF
2. How Much closer you are to your next dis trip!

Good luck

I'm working hard to shed weight too, I do believe that it is all about tracking what you eat, it keeps you honest. And, keep moving. Don't sit to talk on the phone, stand up, or better yet, pace. Take the stairs. Don't search for the close parking spot, park a distance away. And the big one - shed pounds, don't lose them, because I have a feeling you don't want to find them. I sure don't!!

Good luck, stay healthy, and reward your milestones. But not with food.

glvsav37 said:
Here's an idea. Each time you get an urge for FF, drive right by. Then once you get home, take the money you would have spent there and put it all in your Dis Jar.

Once a month count it up and learn 2 things:
1. How much money we blow on FF
2. How Much closer you are to your next dis trip!

Good luck

Great idea!

Welcome to W.I.S.H.! You've acknowledged that you need to make a lifestyle change and that's great. You will find lots of support here because most of us have two things in common, weightloss and Disney.:)

Yes, you can do this.:thumbsup2 And please don't be angry with yourself, it accomplishes nothing. If you're like me, guilt can put you in a vicious cycle of negative feelings and then self-comforting with food. I've struggled with weight all my life and I always will. But I'll never give up. When we fall off the wagon, we can pick ourselves back up and get right back on!

First, decide what changes you want to make in your eating habits. Whatever you do, don't call it a diet. Then once you decide, strip your fridge and cupboards of any food you shouldn't be eating and go out and buy what you should. Then from there, set mini goals. Smaller goals are more attainable just like another poster said. When you reach a mini goal its very motivating. Celebrate it! What I do when I reach one of my goals is to do something nice for myself. Doesn't have to be anything extravagant, could be a mani/pedi, a new outfit, you get the picture. And if you have time, keep a journal. It can really be helpful in being able to look back to see where you need to make adjustments.

You can do it!:woohoo:

AMEN!

And while I understand your sentiment on not visiting the World until you've reached your 50 lb goal, be careful that you don't hamstring yourself. What I mean: don't cut yourself off from living. "Oh, I'll start working out when I'm this size as I'll look better in my workout gear. I'm too embarrassed to be seen as I am". "I won't do this / that activity until I loose 5 more pounds".

All you end up doing is endlessly punishing yourself, which is destructive. Speaking from experience here!

Get up and get out. I was amazed at the amount of support random strangers gave me when I would go outside for exercise.

You've made a HUGE step already...recognized and addressed the problem and are holding yourself accountable. Give yourself credit for that accomplishment, and take each day at a time.

You can totally do it!!!

I am in the same boat. We have started watching what we ate and stop going to fast food. I hoping to start training to do a 5k :eek:

I let myself go!
I'm nearly 240 lbs.
I need support!

I just wanted to offer my support and let you know that you're not alone. I have really let myself go completely and really need to take control of my health. I am planning on joining the weight loss challenge. I know there's lots of support and encouragement on the challenge thread. Best of luck to you.

I wanted to lose athe 30lbs that I had gained since my wedding... so I gave myself a few challenges to try and meet. I made them small enough that I could still enjoy life, without crazy diets and long hours exercising would have cut into. So I decided to start with WW, after a month and seeing a small amount of weight loss each week and still having a life, I decided to add a little more to my plate.

I said I was waiting to vacation in WDW until I felt better about how I looked, so I decided to try a RunDisney race to combine my weight loss goals with my love of Disney. I initially signed up for the 5K at Wine and Dine in November (giving me 7 months to train) and after a month of training decided to try the 1/2 marathon instead! I was very nervous for it, but found doing a run/walk combination was very managable, and helped me get back to WDW:cool1:

If you can't run bc of injuries why not try walking of the RunDisney 5K's? You could train for a while and give yourself some major incentive for getting back to WDW:thumbsup2

Weight loss isn't easy, but make the goals small each month and you will do great::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter