I won't be trying that again

wvjules

DIS Veteran
Went to lunch at a Chinese buffet and tried sushi. Never again. I also tried some radish/wasabi thing...holy cow was that hot and then some spicy ginger stuff. Oh and the sushi had caviar on it. I can now say that I've atleast tried that stuff but never will touch it again.

BTW, this leads me to a very important question: Does fish smell like seaweed or does seaweed smell like fish? :confused3 :confused:

Went to lunch at a Chinese buffet and tried sushi. Never again. I also tried some radish/wasabi thing...holy cow was that hot and then some spicy ginger stuff. Oh and the sushi had caviar on it. I can now say that I've atleast tried that stuff but never will touch it again.

BTW, this leads me to a very important question: Does fish smell like seaweed or does seaweed smell like fish? :confused3 :confused:

Sushi at a Chinese Buffet. You're pretty brave! Or was it made right in front of you?

I am still trying to figure out why people voluntarily eat fish bait..............

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

It was made right there. One of my co-workers eats sushi all the time and he likes it from there too so I assume it was ok. lol

I don't eat Sushi at Chinese buffets, or American buffets.

I DO eat sushi from Publix grocery store but it's made fresh and they have the sushi chef right in front of you.

I've had very good sushi that's been some of the best food I've ever tasted, I've also had some sushi that was the worst food i've ever tasted, don't let one bad experience turn you off to it.

Anyway, California and Tuna rolls are usually the best for most people.

Ewwwww. I have tried a California roll once - cold sticky rice is not my idea of comfort food, if you know what I mean.

Denae

ETA - I watched a show last weekend where the sushi special was live lobster - they cut off the tail, and served the meat to you while the rest of the lobster was still wiggling about. Ewwwwwwww.

I am still trying to figure out why people voluntarily eat fish bait.............. /QUOTE]
:rotfl: Look at it this way, your burger is rat bait!

I love sushi except for the kind where you can see the discs on the octopus tentacles...

But OP had me laughing sympathetically. One of those "tried it, got the T-shirt, thank God I never have to do it again" moments.

Ewwwww. I have tried a California roll once - cold sticky rice is not my idea of comfort food, if you know what I mean.

Denae

I had one of those. And the texture/temp of the rice was a big ick! The cucumber in the middle was tastey though.

My ex-husband loves sushi and I only watched him eat it once. It was tuna and looked like a big tongue. :scared: I have no idea how he choked down a tongue.

I tried a California roll a couple of years ago and hated it. Haven't tried any other form of sushi since.

I love sushi except for the kind where you can see the discs on the octopus tentacles...

I tried octopus once, but the texture was not pleasant. I also tried scallops and the texture was unpleasant and it tasted like fish smells. I may be wrong, but I don't think quality sushi is supposed to taste or smell fishy.

Note to all: California rolls most of the time do not even contain seafood (unless it is rolled in fish roe). Usually imitation crab meat is used. Some places substitute crab salad.

I do have a good wasabi story though...my boss came back from lunch one day and looked like he had just run a marathon. Turned out he went out for sushi for the first time and thought the wasabi was some sort of guacamole :confused3. Anyway, he took a big scoop of it. He thought he was going to have a heart attack. My reaction...:lmao: I am soooo kind. :rolleyes1

Turned out he went out for sushi for the first time and thought the wasabi was some sort of guacamole :confused3. Anyway, he took a big scoop of it. He thought he was going to have a heart attack. My reaction...:lmao: I am soooo kind. :rolleyes1

Sometimes if you're lucky, as you swallow the wasabi gets on your sinuses at the back of your throat. I cry real tears when that happens.

Not all Sushi is raw fish, so the "fist bait" comment isn't really necessary.

OP: Good for you for trying it, but do you know what kind you tried? There are many different varieties, some of which don't even have any fish in them. You may not like the one you tried, but you may find you do like some others.

I love california rolls and tempura rolls. We have a place that makes the california rolls with real crab. YUM! Ami loves it too, she'll down a california roll in no time. She likes wasabi too, pretty sure she's not normal!

:laughing: I don't think I would have tried sushi from a chinnese place but good for you for trying new things:thumbsup2

I've only had sushi a couple of times but I really enjoyed it. Which really surprised me b/c I usually hate seafood, but I guess maybe b/c it's smaller I didn't notice as much. :confused3

Well since I dind't have raw fish I guess I technically didn't try sushi. I had a california roll and that other stuff. Co-worker had a tuna sushi thing and it looked tastey but after the icky rice I couldn't bring myself to try anymore. :laughing:

OMG Sushi from California Grill at the Contemporary. It's the absolute best thing on the planet. Yum! I love Wasabi too.

LOVE sushi!!

Technically, sushi refers to the rice, which is combined with other ingredients, and does not necessarily include seafood.

Sashimi is the raw fish, and can be eaten alone, without the rice.

And I agree; wasabi is a GREAT sinus decongestant!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter