I wish WDW still had...

Fly me with Balloons

Mouseketeer
Feeling nostalgic as we leave in a month for our last big Griswold-Style traditional family vacation to WDW before our 1st heads to college in the fall. WDW has always been our family place, where it's just us, together. So, as I wallow in my melancholy, I thought of those things I miss that made the place do special as they were growing up.
1. Tapestry of Nations
2. The former FastPass system
3. In-room package delivery
4. Mickey head straws for the kids
5. Mickey shaped butter at restaurants
6. Zip-a-dee-do-dah Tip for the day TV loop
7. Fillet, Mac & Cheese w/ red wine sauce at Jiko
8. No free dining or DDP
9. Main St. Bakery
10. River del Tiempo

Feeling nostalgic as we leave in a month for our last big Griswold-Style traditional family vacation to WDW before our 1st heads to college in the fall. WDW has always been our family place, where it's just us, together. So, as I wallow in my melancholy, I thought of those things I miss that made the place do special as they were growing up.
1. Tapestry of Nations
2. The former FastPass system
3. In-room package delivery
4. Mickey head straws for the kids
5. Mickey shaped butter at restaurants
6. Zip-a-dee-do-dah Tip for the day TV loop
7. Fillet, Mac & Cheese w/ red wine sauce at Jiko
8. No free dining or DDP
9. Main St. Bakery
10. River del Tiempo

Interestingly, I miss the days of NO Fastpass. Each attraction you became immersed in the story starting with the queue. Take DL’s Indiana Jones Adventure queue...beautifully detailed, complete immersion. Nowadays they store the standby people in the switchbacks outside and everyone runs through the themed indoor queue straight to the ride (because of FP). Of course there are limits...no-one likes waiting in 2 hour lines for every ride, but I personally don’t like the RUSH here, RUSH there approach to touring. Disney is about the details.

BTW-this is what I love about the Harry Potter area over at Universal: no express pass on Forbidden Journey or Gringotts. The queues are stunning and they move fast! It's a completely immersive experience.

The 100 Acre Woods play area! Only because it reminds me of when my kids were young.....I can still see them running through the woods under the lights at night. <3

Interestingly, I miss the days of NO Fastpass. Each attraction you became immersed in the story starting with the queue. Take DL’s Indiana Jones Adventure queue...beautifully detailed, complete immersion. Nowadays they store the standby people in the switchbacks outside and everyone runs through the themed indoor queue straight to the ride (because of FP). Of course there are limits...no-one likes waiting in 2 hour lines for every ride, but I personally don’t like the RUSH here, RUSH there approach to touring. Disney is about the details.

I agree. Some will still miss it as they have their attention on their phones :rolleyes2 however, the ticket prices are up there so ii can see the bag for the buck opinion of the actual ride time as well.

BTW-this is what I love about the Harry Potter area over at Universal: no express pass on Forbidden Journey or Gringotts. The queues are stunning and they move fast! It's a completely immersive experience.
If WDW could have those SB lines move just as fast it would be great :thumbsup2

OP, I miss #4, #9

The TTA audio (not the original one~ but the second one)
Tapestry of Nations parade
Lights of Wonder

off the top of my head

ETA: Slurpees at POP

They still sell Mickey shaped straws at all resort QS places. We have a huge collection of them at home and I saw them at POFQ in April this year.

They still sell Mickey shaped straws at all resort QS places. We have a huge collection of them at home and I saw them at POFQ in April this year.

guess I am remembering when they were complimentary ;) but like everything, people take advantage and *poof* it's gone.

The following are my list of missing adventures at WDW:
1. Swan Boats
2. Explorer Canoes
3. Skyway
4. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea
5. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
6. Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs ride
7. World of Motion
8. Kitchen Kabaret
9. Horizons
10. Cranium Command
11. Monster Sound Show with Chevy Chase
12. Who wants to be a Millionaire
13. Hunchback of Notre Dame show
14. Fort Wilderness Railroad
15. Disney Institute
16. Breakfast at Tony's and the Land Grill
17. Jolly Holiday Show
18. Beavertails
19. Headless Horseman wagon ride
:confused3

guess I am remembering when they were complimentary ;) but like everything, people take advantage and *poof* it's gone.

If you buy the chocolate covered marshmallow wand at one of the confectionary/candy shops, the marshmallows are skewered on a Mickey straw!

- paper fastpasses
- spontaneity
- Mickey & Minnies houses (I still can't believe they got rid of them. seems wrong)
- Toontown in general

Yes, Mickey shaped butter! My sister and I thought we were big time at Coral Reef with that butter!

Wow, OP, I had completely forgotten about the Mickey-shaped straws. We used to love those. I had no idea they had been removed.

Also miss the Zip-a-dee-doo-da Resort TV loop. Stacy's nice, but the Tip For Today loop was so much better.

More recently, I miss PUSH. He was always hilarious. So many great memories!

The Skyway
Horizons
Old Figment
Swan Boats
Body Wars

Never got to go on Leagues or Mr. Toad. *sniff*

Wow, OP, I had completely forgotten about the Mickey-shaped straws. We used to love those. I had no idea they had been removed.

Also miss the Zip-a-dee-doo-da Resort TV loop. Stacy's nice, but the Tip For Today loop was so much better.

More recently, I miss PUSH. He was always hilarious. So many great memories!

Agreed, so sad to see PUSH go!

Tapestry of Nations. Absolutely loved it. I guess the awe showed on my face because one night, one of the huge puppets leaned over and put his hand on my head. My husband said I looked just like a little kid, just so excited and happy to get some interaction. The music was great, too.
Also, the Adventurers Club. Different everytime you went, and always so much fun. True imagination.
I do miss the whole vibe on the first few trips, starting in 2000. Seems that there is no chance to just wander the world any more. So much has to be planned 6 months in advance. That takes away some of the magic. That being said, I am still counting down the days until the next trip!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter