I went on a Carnival Glory cruise….

Phyllisi

Mouseketeer
And my family had a great time. So much in fact that we will be sailing on a Carnival cruise again. I just thought I would let DCL lovers know. In the past, we have sailed the Magic once to twice a year. While we love the Magic, the price is getting too high to support a yearly cruise plus saving up to pay for my daughter’s higher education and retirement. I know a lot a people on this board swear by the DCL and say it is the best, but some have only sailed that line. The same week of cruise (3/24/07) priced about 14 months prior to the sailing would have cost an additional $3,000 for my family. There were some aspects that Disney does better and some that Carnival does better. The food was better on the Glory and their super card was nicer too. The shows were better on DCL, but not $3,000 worth better. The room sizes were about the same. There was no split bathroom but I was never a fan of that feature. I did not see a bunch of out of control drunks on the Glory, just a few you could tell was having a good time, just like what I observe on the Magic. Yes, dinner was at the same dining room every day but for me, it even gets boring year after year with the DCL dining rotation, same old, same old. My daughter, who turned 9 during the cruise, enjoyed the kid’s club on the Glory better than the Magic. The Magic (my opinion) has far too many storming the lab and movie watching as activities. I was really nervous when we got to the pier because we could see the Magic. The Glory club was no fee until 10PM and after that there is a $6/hr for the first child and $4/hr for each additional child in the same family until 1AM. Carnival cruise line offers a steep military discount to all those who served for a least 2 years, teachers, policemen, and firefighters. My family of 3 paid only $2100 for a balcony room. Repeat Carnival guest pay about $200 more than the above discount for the Glory.. The beds were nicer on the Glory and they provided robes in the cabins for use while on board. Carnival allows guest to bring bottled water, pop, juice, and wine on board. They do charge for a pop card. Until a few years ago Disney also charged for a pop card, no one in my family is big pop drinkers so we did not pay the $35 for unlimited pop during the cruise. I do not drink coffee but my husband said the Glory had the best coffee of all the various cruise lines we have sailed. There is no charge for cappuccinos or espresso in the dining rooms. Debarkation is smoother on the Magic. We were on of the first ones (after early flights and suites) that were called off and we did not hit the pier parking lot until 10:30. We were allowed to stay in our rooms until we were called to disembark. There was a family we dined with who was nervous about the Carnival cruise line and they felt the same way we did, the Magic is good, but not worth the thousands of dollars extra for a week. I heard the same comments from other families who like the Magic, it is just costing too much to sail her once to twice a year for a middle class family, especially if the family combines it with several days at the Disney parks before or after the cruise.

Wow, sounds like your family had a great time & saved $$$$ too. :thumbsup2
Thanks so much for sharing. It's good to know this when I book my next cruise.

Happy Easter

Patricia

good information...thank you. I won't sail Carnival again only due to bad memories (or no memories) from my 20's...major partier. :drinking1 :sick:

However, I do agree that cost of DCL is high for annual cruises and after this next cruise, if my son wants to continue cruising, we may try RCCL. I hear good things about their kids programs and their ships. pirate:

I was nervous becuase the last time I sailed with Carnival was about 15 years ago and at that time, it was a big party ship, which is what I wanted at that time. Carnival is marketing to families and senior citizens. I will only sail on newer Carnival ships.

Thanks for posting this. My son and I will be on the Carnival Destiny out of San Juan for spring break 2008 - which happens to be the week before Easter. There is no way I would pay what DCL charges for a cruise then. Carnival has a great itinerary for a super price, so I'm willing to give it a try. Besides - I haven't been "spoiled" by a Disney cruise yet, so I won't know what I'm missing! :)

Thanks for your report. I want so bad to take the girls back on an Eastern cruise and I don't see how we could afford a 7-night on DCL after our 08 trip. We have one graduating in 09 and another in 2011. There will not be an extra $10,000 laying anywhere around.:lmao: (2 Cat 10s + "junk" = @$10,000)

good information...thank you. I won't sail Carnival again only due to bad memories (or no memories) from my 20's...major partier. :drinking1 :sick:

However, I do agree that cost of DCL is high for annual cruises and after this next cruise, if my son wants to continue cruising, we may try RCCL. I hear good things about their kids programs and their ships. pirate:

RCCL provides a nice alternative, and kind of the same conclusion--some things better on DCL, some better on RCI, sure DCL has "magic" and "pixie dust" but for example, this past thanksgiving week our $2,200 stateroom for 6 nights on the radiance, with a balcony that is the equivalent of a cat. 5 (we were on the suite deck, so that's why i don't compare to a cat. 6) was more cost effective than 7 nights on the Magic at $6400 for the cat. 5 and one more night, both prices compared at the same time. That said, other times the spread between prices is much narrower, and there are things I love about both lines, so we are next month going back on DCL, and that will put us at 5 cruises on each line.

Thanks to OP for posting the Glory review. We're trying Mariner next year. But there is no need to bash another cruise line, as has happened on some other threads, to say you love one; and the cruise lines are not terribly jealous lovers--they'll welcome you back even if in between you been on someone else's ship.

I am glad to read this. Not surprised, but glad..

We stepped away with Princess, and loved it...There is life on other lines, it is all in what you choose, and what you want.:goodvibes

I am just about to book a cruise on the glory, you made me feel better about the decision. It would be 1800 dollars more for category 10 on magic than Balcony on the glory Barb

Thanks for the report. We are sailing on the Glory at the end of May (Eastern cruise). I was a little apprehensive about the trip, but your report has helped.

Thanks for posting this. We have sailed on DCL 2X and have one booked for next year. However, I have been actively looking into other cruise lines. We are ready for another experience, other ports (we only have time for 3-4 days) and if I can save money and still have a good time, even better! DH and I go on a couples only trip each year and this year are considering a cruise on RCCL. We figured we could go as an excuse to try it out before we take the kids.

And my family had a great time. So much in fact that we will be sailing on a Carnival cruise again. I just thought I would let DCL lovers know. In the past, we have sailed the Magic once to twice a year. While we love the Magic, the price is getting too high to support a yearly cruise plus saving up to pay for my daughter’s higher education and retirement. I know a lot a people on this board swear by the DCL and say it is the best, but some have only sailed that line. The same week of cruise (3/24/07) priced about 14 months prior to the sailing would have cost an additional $3,000 for my family. There were some aspects that Disney does better and some that Carnival does better. The food was better on the Glory and their super card was nicer too. The shows were better on DCL, but not $3,000 worth better. The room sizes were about the same. There was no split bathroom but I was never a fan of that feature. I did not see a bunch of out of control drunks on the Glory, just a few you could tell was having a good time, just like what I observe on the Magic. Yes, dinner was at the same dining room every day but for me, it even gets boring year after year with the DCL dining rotation, same old, same old. My daughter, who turned 9 during the cruise, enjoyed the kid’s club on the Glory better than the Magic. The Magic (my opinion) has far too many storming the lab and movie watching as activities. I was really nervous when we got to the pier because we could see the Magic. The Glory club was no fee until 10PM and after that there is a $6/hr for the first child and $4/hr for each additional child in the same family until 1AM. Carnival cruise line offers a steep military discount to all those who served for a least 2 years, teachers, policemen, and firefighters. My family of 3 paid only $2100 for a balcony room. Repeat Carnival guest pay about $200 more than the above discount for the Glory.. The beds were nicer on the Glory and they provided robes in the cabins for use while on board. Carnival allows guest to bring bottled water, pop, juice, and wine on board. They do charge for a pop card. Until a few years ago Disney also charged for a pop card, no one in my family is big pop drinkers so we did not pay the $35 for unlimited pop during the cruise. I do not drink coffee but my husband said the Glory had the best coffee of all the various cruise lines we have sailed. There is no charge for cappuccinos or espresso in the dining rooms. Debarkation is smoother on the Magic. We were on of the first ones (after early flights and suites) that were called off and we did not hit the pier parking lot until 10:30. We were allowed to stay in our rooms until we were called to disembark. There was a family we dined with who was nervous about the Carnival cruise line and they felt the same way we did, the Magic is good, but not worth the thousands of dollars extra for a week. I heard the same comments from other families who like the Magic, it is just costing too much to sail her once to twice a year for a middle class family, especially if the family combines it with several days at the Disney parks before or after the cruise.

This is the exact way I felt about our Carnival Pride cruise. We loved it!

Thanks so much for the report about the Carnival. We have talked about trying another cruise line and have never been to sure about to expect. So, it was very nice to read your comments on the Carnival.

lettie

I'm all about trying different and new vacation experiences, locations and once in a while doing a repeat of a favorite. That's why I'm looking forward to the Disney cruise. :thumbsup2

One thing, I do alot of research if something is old and grungy I won't do it. Sometimes, you get what you pay for. I agree with the poster above that would rather try a new ship if possible.

Woohoo!!! :banana: :banana: :thumbsup2

Thank you SO much for posting this. I've been about the only one to defend Carnival here. Yes, I've never been on DCL and probably won't. I can't see spending that kind of money, but that's just me. Plus, we have only cruised without our kids, so we don't want or need the DCL things. While I agree that their shorter, 3-day cruises, on the older ships aren't quite as nice, we LOVED the Glory!! We sailed on her this past November and had an excellent time. I wasn't a member of this board back then, otherwise I would maybe have written up a trip report so that people could at least hear about the ports and such.

Anyway, I'm so glad that you enjoyed it and even recommend it for some people to do over DCL. They certainly have a lot more ships, so it's not as expensive. That's my biggest thing about DCL, they're just too limited. I realize that Carnival isn't everyone's cup of tea, and the same for DCL.

Oh, that's actually the biggest reason we went with Carnival in the first place, they had the BEST military discount. RCL was awful about it. We go in a group of 4 couples. And after the first one, the guy who organizes it called RCL just to compare and they said no, nothing at all for military (or law enforcement - which all 4 husbands are). Then he asked if they had any discounts, sales, anything, and they guy was extremely rude and short with him, really not trying to convince us to go with them. Oh well, we stayed with Carnival then.

I wish we were going again this year, but alas, real life is too expensive this year, so no cruise for us. Just still saving for WDW in 2009!

We have sailed on disney twice, and we loved it. But like everyone else the prices on disney are out of control!!!! We decided to try carnival glory on 11/4 this year. I was very nervous about doing this, but it was either carnival or no cruise this year. Thank you so much for that great review I feel better now. I would love to see pictures of the carnival glory inside if anyone can post some it would be great to see!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Glad to hear your family had a great trip!! We have sailed both Disney and Royal Caribbean and found both lines to provide a fabulous cruise experience!! Cruising is an awesome way to vacation, no matter what line you are sailing with!:goodvibes

One more thing we were first going to go on rcc mariner the week of 11/4 because I was very nervous about carnival and so was the other family we always cruise with. We booked rcc, months later I found out that this week we were cruising on rcc was known as hogs on the high seas week and the ship caters their shows and dinners and basically everything to them. I have two children one 13 and 9 and the other family also has two children. So when I found out we decided to cancel and when I called to cancel and I also mentioned to the woman on the phone that this was never told to me her answer was "we do not have to give information like this out." But they could have atleast mentioned they have a convention of 2000 people and the activities and dinners are catered to them. So I canceled and they did not even care or apologize for the mistake. :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

We have sailed on disney twice, and we loved it. But like everyone else the prices on disney are out of control!!!! We decided to try carnival glory on 11/4 this year. I was very nervous about doing this, but it was either carnival or no cruise this year. Thank you so much for that great review I feel better now. I would love to see pictures of the carnival glory inside if anyone can post some it would be great to see!!!!:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Done! I put up a couple pics in a seperate thread, but I'll add some more later...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter