I was followed at the mall yesterday....

krcit

DIS Veteran
I will preface this with saying I am not a paranoid person...usually:lmao: No, seriously but I was at the mall with the whole family and we all split up and I was putting my reciept and credit card away after paying in Pacsun and I just had the feeling of being watched. So I see this guy watching me. He walks out and turns right as do I but I then turned left b/c he creeped me out a bit. Then I crossed over to the other side(I was on the 2cnd floor of the mall)and I see him turn around and backtrack to where I am. I walked into the nearest store and so did he and he went to every section I was in. I then quickly left that store and went into the next store and called DH and he came and met me. I just had a gut feeling that he was going to rob me-I think he saw me put my wristlet into my unzippered bag and figured I was an easy target. I said to my dd that maybe he just thought I was pretty and she said 'nah, he was gonna rb you.":rotfl2:

I will preface this with saying I am not a paranoid person...usually:lmao: No, seriously but I was at the mall with the whole family and we all split up and I was putting my reciept and credit card away after paying in Pacsun and I just had the feeling of being watched. So I see this guy watching me. He walks out and turns right as do I but I then turned left b/c he creeped me out a bit. Then I crossed over to the other side(I was on the 2cnd floor of the mall)and I see him turn around and backtrack to where I am. I walked into the nearest store and so did he and he went to every section I was in. I then quickly left that store and went into the next store and called DH and he came and met me. I just had a gut feeling that he was going to rob me-I think he saw me put my wristlet into my unzippered bag and figured I was an easy target. I said to my dd that maybe he just thought I was pretty and she said 'nah, he was gonna rb you.":rotfl2:

I would have went immediatley to security.

That is scary. Having had stalkers before I can sure relate to the feeling of being violated. One was when I was a teenager on vacation with my friends. I was sitting out on the boardwalk at the hotel waiting on my friends to go into town and he jogged by and smailled. I smiled back and he took that as an invitation. He was much older than me but tried to ask me out!! I turned him down and went back to my room. Followed me the rest of the week even though I never talked to him again. Finally one night I when I had not seen him all day I went out to sit on the boardwalk again and he found me. We were all alone and I thought well this is it. He is going to rape me and kill me. But as luck would have this this even older gentleman and his dog came up and we got to talking. Turns out the gentleman was my roommates father's boss!!! What luck. When he took his leave I said well Mr. Reggie I will just walk back with you. When we got away I told him what had been going on and for about 20 years after that everytime he saw me he reminded me of how he saved me. This was 30 years ago and I still remember the fear I felt.

I am glad your husband was at the mall too. If he hadn't been I would have gotten a security guard to walk you out.

you should have just told the register person in a store to call security. They would have kept you right there until security showed up.

Good for you for listening to your instincts. So many women convince themselves that they're being silly and wind up hurt or much worse. You did the right thing by surrounding yourself with other people and calling your DH.

After years of being teased for being paranoid I'm alive today because I trusted my instincts. I ended up hurt and in the hospital but if I hadn't gotten myself out the door and into the open I have no doubt things would have been much, much worse.

Never think your feelings are silly ladies. If something doesn't feel right it isn't.

edited to add: while calling security might occur to someone not there or after the fact my first thought would be to call my DH too.

I think I would have turned around suddenly and taken his picture with my camera phone. Then made a report to security. Sounds really creepy to me.

I was watching a street artist in Paris a couple of years ago and there was a guy I was certain was trying to pickpocket me. I tried to move away from him slightly and he kept getting closer. I finally left the crowd and he walked away. Freaked me out.

Honestly, it didn't even occur to me to call security probably in part because DH was in the mall and he's a cop:thumbsup2 Plus, he didn't actually DO anything, you know? I just got a creepy feeling and my gut has never failed me! I read a great book a few years ago called "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker. He talks about how women need to listen to their gut feelings and not be afraid to be impolite. So many victims say afterwards that something just felt 'wrong' but they didn't want to offend.

My very first thought while reading your post was maybe he WAS Mall Security. But I wasn't there to see what he looked like or exactly how it went down, so obviously I'm probably wrong.

No, that's funny, Silent1CB - because I was thinking the same thing!

I understand that the OP feels that the man saw her put her wristlet in her bag, and may have intended to rob her - but unless she flashed a lot of cash in his presence, his perserverance in following her seems extreme. Thieves like easy targets that involve little work. Given the time he put into following her, it's more likely robbery was not his intent.

My very first thought while reading your post was maybe he WAS Mall Security. But I wasn't there to see what he looked like or exactly how it went down, so obviously I'm probably wrong.

Who knows??:confused3 He could've been-he was nicely dressed, mid thirties. I just had a weird creepy feeling so I acted on it. I wasn't afraid for my safety at all-it was a crowded mall but I don't know...my spidey senses were tingling. Maybe his were too:rotfl2:

Like a small clutch bag, with a wrist strap. Bigger than a wallet and without all the compartments, but smaller than a purse. The wrist strap frees up your hands (well, when you're not already stowing the wristlet in a larger bag ;)) because you can just slip the strap over your hand onto your wrist.

happygirl said:
What is a wristlet?

Who knows??:confused3 He could've been-he was nicely dressed, mid thirties. I just had a weird creepy feeling so I acted on it. I wasn't afraid for my safety at all-it was a crowded mall but I don't know...my spidey senses were tingling. Maybe his were too:rotfl2:
Good. Since your spidey-senses were on alert (as in this isn't going to frighten you) he could have actually been following somebody who was following - as in scoping out - you but who you didn't notice.

Like a small clutch bag, with a wrist strap. Bigger than a wallet and without all the compartments, but smaller than a purse. The wrist strap frees up your hands (well, when you're not already stowing the wristlet in a larger bag ;)) because you can just slip the strap over your hand onto your wrist.

Thanks:) I had never heard of them beforre. I learn something every day:goodvibes

That is scary. Having had stalkers before I can sure relate to the feeling of being violated. One was when I was a teenager on vacation with my friends. I was sitting out on the boardwalk at the hotel waiting on my friends to go into town and he jogged by and smailled. I smiled back and he took that as an invitation. He was much older than me but tried to ask me out!! I turned him down and went back to my room. Followed me the rest of the week even though I never talked to him again. Finally one night I when I had not seen him all day I went out to sit on the boardwalk again and he found me. We were all alone and I thought well this is it. He is going to rape me and kill me. But as luck would have this this even older gentleman and his dog came up and we got to talking. Turns out the gentleman was my roommates father's boss!!! What luck. When he took his leave I said well Mr. Reggie I will just walk back with you. When we got away I told him what had been going on and for about 20 years after that everytime he saw me he reminded me of how he saved me. This was 30 years ago and I still remember the fear I felt.

I am glad your husband was at the mall too. If he hadn't been I would have gotten a security guard to walk you out.

That was scary!

Thank god you are ok.

I had something like that happen to me in a Walmart 6 years ago. Everywhere I went in the store he followed and he kept saying "hi" to me. Then when I didn't say it back he said "I"m talking to you.!!" yelling at me.I ran to the 1st cashier I could find and told her and this man standing in the next line heard me and he and his wife walked me to my car.It is so scary.

I am totally paranoid and I think it is a good thing. Not only am I paranoid for myself but for other people I know as well.

For instance, we were out shopping yesterday and my friend was driving. So she parked the car and we went in the mall. I immediately had the feeling that we needed to go back out to the car. She thought I was crazy and whined the whole time walking about but we went back and the doors were all unlocked. Apparently her electronic key is losing batteries and didn't lock the car. She had most of her Christmas shopping locked up in her trunk. YIKES!

So it may not make you popular but being paranoid can be a good thing. :confused3

I probably would have held tight to my purse, and asked the guy if he was (or why he was) following me, just to let him know I was on to him. I always keep my purse held tightly to me when I shop in a crowded place--you never know--pick pockets are good at what they do, and can take something without you even knowing. I'm not a good target for those people.

I love the book "The Gift of Fear". I think it should be required reading in every high school in the country...for both boys and girls.

OP, congratulations for listening to your gut. It may have saved you...or at least your cute little wristlet!

I remember at DTD once (yes, DTD) my friend and I were shopping. DH had stayed back at the hotel. Anyhow, we were on the outside of the buildings (the parking lot side), heading toward the bus stops when we both kind of noticed this unsavory looking man who seemed to be behind us. Both of us thought the same thing at the same time...he's looking to rob us. We went and knocked on the door of Team Mickey (Thank God they have a "back" door that faces the parking lot!!). The CM came to the door and said "we're closed". We both said "There's a man following us"...she immediately opened the door and started talking to us while she let us walk through the store to the lake side of DTD and told us to follow the crowd to the busses, which we did. She called Security as well, but the man had hurried off when he saw us talknig to her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter