• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want your single best Disney/travel tip!

Don't get into a line just because it's a line, especially at bag check, park entrances, and counter service locations. I'm always amazed at the number of people who line up at a packed turnstyle/Mickey reader/cash register, when there are several ones available with no lines, particularly on the left.

They do give you free ice water which is awesome but my kids got tired of water (especially since Florida tap water has a slight weird taste to it) so I carried individual flavor packets and put them in the free ice water and suddenly it was lemonade or fruit punch and they were happy!

No need for jackets/hoodies. September is still very much summer time in Central Fla. The only exception to this would be for anyone who is sensitive to air conditioning in restaurants. However in September you'll likely be grateful for the air conditioning that almost dried out your shirt before you head back out:earsboy:

I would say be flexible to what your plans are. If you know that you all might have different hopes & wdw styles, trying to make everybody fit into the same mold will be very frustrating. Along with the "pick the thing that most interests you", I would say schedule or decide to do one major thing a day (aka start at MK and do frontier land, character dinner at Crystal Palace, Fantasmic, etc..) all together and be fluid with the rest, cuz you know not everybody will want to do all of the same things...

Agree! And I would also say that it is good for everyone in the group to agree ahead of time that the group doesn't have to stay together every second of the day. If you are staying at a resort hotel it is easy for everyone to have a different schedule. If you're staying offsite I guess that would be a different story. When my family goes now (just three of us btw) we all know that my son and I are going to try to make rope drop every morning and dad is going to sleep in and call us when he's ready to leave the hotel. My husband is not grumpy because he's feeling rushed and I'm not grumpy because I feel like my time is being wasted waiting around. It seems like this is one of the main conflicts people have when they travel together.

Fastpass, fastpass, fastpass.

Rope drop, nap, stay til you're kicked out.

Don't overplan.
You have a really large group and that can be really stressful. Especially at Disney!! One meltdown can affect the whole crew.

Within this group you'll have overplanners and people who want to fly by the seat of their pants. Find the happy medium.

I think split up for some stuff. Most of all--have fun!

Lot's of good tips (some I've stolen, btw, so thank you PPs!), but the biggest tip I think is: Be Flexible! Have a great trip!!!

Seriously. Be the decision maker in the group. I've been with large groups before where everyone stands around looking at each other trying to figure out what to do. There is a potential for a huge amount of wasted time. Someone needs to be in charge.

We're headed to WDW in September (for 9 days) and although my kids and I have been many times, my parents, 2 nieces and my great-nephew are also coming this trip. :banana:
In talking to them, I've realized that I need to cover ALL the basics with them and make sure they are as prepared as they can possibly be. My mom is the only one of the 5 who has flown recently and none of them have been to Disney for years. So what I'm trying to get done over the next few weeks is just get some preparation basics down on paper for them. Such as:

What they can/can't bring on the plane
Suggestions for entertainment on the plane
Sunscreen
Bring a jacket/hoodie
Bring at least 2 pair of comfortable shoes
How much spending money/money for tips
Free ice water in the parks

Etc.

What tip(s) can you give me/them that you wish someone would have told you before you went or something that you make sure not to forget to take or do??

Single best tip: LET GO!!!!! Even if you don't do everything on your "agenda", you'll still have a good time. :)

Kids on a plane...wiki stixx, the waxed string you can make things out of? It's great to stick on trays, windows, and comes right off. Make characters, play games etc.

Triangle crayons!

Definitely the stroller if any kids fit.....saved us from a cranky kid and was SO nice not to have to carry all of our junk around. Actually the only thing I ever had to lug was a small wallet thing that fit my phone, money and tickets and fit in pocket, looped the little strap around belt loop and hooked it. I felt it was secure and I was hands free. Oh small camera in other pocket...everything else was not valuable and all went in stroller.

Make time for kids of any age to have some down time. Leaving the park didn't work for us, but we let the kids run and play, go on playgrounds, be free! Helped keep them happy and ok with lines and other boring waits.

Bringing glow sticks or light up toys from home saves $ at nighttime parades and fireworks...but don't leave them in your hotel room and end up buying an $8 toy like I did lol. Of course nobody has to buy these things at all but it was fun.

Single best tip: LET GO!!!!! Even if you don't do everything on your "agenda", you'll still have a good time. :)

This. I was at Disney last year and after an hour of rushing I realized I'll never see it all in this visit. I have a list of things I didn't get to do that we will get to next time we go.

Don't get into a line just because it's a line, especially at bag check, park entrances, and counter service locations. I'm always amazed at the number of people who line up at a packed turnstyle/Mickey reader/cash register, when there are several ones available with no lines, particularly on the left.

This is so true it is amazing! When ever you come to a point where a line is forming always look around. Sometimes the group should get in line while one person walks ahead to check out the situation. I cannot remember how many times I've found an open spot while a long line is nearby. Sometimes there are even CM's asking for people to move where there is no line and many are STILL oblivious.

Now MY one is this:

Stop and enjoy others joy. People watching can be so much fun at Disney. Watching people full of joy, or children having that first greeting, or getting to watch a proposal or some other fun thing, is almost as fun as doing it yourself. Enjoy these moments and share them with the group. Get the group to watch for them.

My first suggestion is be at the parks before they open. No one like to get up early on vacation, but it's worth it. My second suggestion is since you are going to be there nine days, I would take at least one day of not going to the parks and just resting up and hanging out at the resort.

Suck it up and be at the parks when they open!! You can always have a few cocktails and a nap by the pool in the afternoon!

....wheelbarrow full o' cash...

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Epsom salts for soaking your feet in the evening. We are "all day" park goers and by the end of my first trip my feet hurt so bad that I couldn't hardly take it. It made the last couple of days almost a chore. A cast member mentioned to me (at the end of the trip) that I should try soaking my feet every night in Epsom salts. Would help the swelling and healing process and hopefully wouldn't hurt so bad at the end of a long trip.

I made a note of it for our next trip in January!

I need to try this!

Stop and enjoy others joy. People watching can be so much fun at Disney. Watching people full of joy, or children having that first greeting, or getting to watch a proposal or some other fun thing, is almost as fun as doing it yourself. Enjoy these moments and share them with the group. Get the group to watch for them.

Love this!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter