• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want to wrap my arms around a jumbo roll of paper towels!

Ladygoldenhair

DIS Veteran
I dislike the price increases, but I really àm offended when a product shrinks. First my pound of coffe became 12 oz, the TP was 2/3 the size of my roller. I just want to hug a fat ol' roll of paper towels again!

I have been buying SAMs Member Mark for these products lately. But, gee the weekly chore of emptying bathroom waste baskets has about 10 empty rolls in it and I think they are the thickest I can find doing a very good job.

I can easily use up the paper towel roll in a few days. It feels like I am holding a half gone roll before I start! Oh, I did not find any thrill with my towel size being dotted into thirds either. I would use a napkin if I wanted one.

Refusing to buy the $40 Kurig cups, I have refill containers with my reliable Maxwell big canister. Oh, and the big container of French vanilla latte.

Did I miss any other resizing pet peeves?

The whole down size in products really messes me up for cooking and backing, most of my older recipes are written for pre-(cheapness) down sizing.

Either I have to do fraction math or buy two of every thing ugh.

I agree with you about the paper towels. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the smaller sized bars of soap. I am constantly opening new bars of soap. I would rather they charge me more and keep it the same size.

I agree with you about the paper towels. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the smaller sized bars of soap. I am constantly opening new bars of soap. I would rather they charge me more and keep it the same size.

OMG that's it too! I thought as I got older they looked smaller, lol.

I haven't baked much, passing the torch to the kids now, but I did see my bag of choc morsels is smaller, I need two instead of one bag.

Did I miss any other resizing pet peeves?

Yes, my very worst resizing pet peeve- CAKE MIXES
From 18.25 to 16.5 ounces for the mixes.

I mean, really????

Cake PAN sizes have not changed.
Duncan Hines thinks I won't notice when the cake only takes up 2/3 the space it used to and no longer fills up the pan? :furious:

They "reformulated" and the new formulation is "so much 'better' using less volume of ingredients".

Um, nope, it's not. :sad2:

Now the cakes have tunnels, different taste and texture (and not in a good way) and Duncan Hines used to be Wilton approved (the cake decorating tool company that teaches home bakers how to decorate cakes with professional techniques).

Typical fashion to most companies that pull this cr@p on consumers, they have come out with a new tier of higher end products for a lot more money. :mad:

They will never see another penny from me. :)

But on the up side I found a really scrumptious, really easy recipe for making my own chocolate cake mixes with better quality ingredients for less money:
www.kingarthurflours.com/recipes/favorite-fudge-birthday-cake-recipe

So I now make my own mixes that taste better and cost less.

Duncan Hines can kiss my SPATULA :lmao:

I have several recipes that my mom used to make. One of the holiday favorites is fudge. It used to be one can was 14oz but now it is 12.50 oz. So I have to buy multiple cans and measure it out.

Same recipe calls for chocolate bars. A couple of years ago a Cadbury bar was 9oz and now is only 7.5oz. Again I have to buy extra.

Instead of paper towels, I switch to cloth towels a few years ago. I got a package of face cloth sized towels and use them to wipe up most messes. Then I put them in the wash and they are as good as new. I still use paper towels for some things but I cut way back on how many paper towels I buy.

:thumbsup2

Toilet paper is what's driving me nuts! I buy the good kind and the amount and quality is :/

But oh we'll we need it- lol!

So manny thing being cut except for the price

I bought a block of cheddar last week and went to cut into it and was wondering why it seemed skinnier, it was 7oz instead of 8oz. HOnestly, how many recipes call for 8oz of shredded cheese, this is just silly.

The orange juice being 56oz instead of 64oz (that's been a while, but still annoying), along with the ice cream containers that shrunk a couple of years ago. Just plain annoying.

Just raise the prices a little, we're not stupid, we do notice we are getting less:confused3

Bacon is the worst I have found so far. A "pound" of bacon is now 12 oz. ridiculous and the price has not decreased by 1/3!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh boy, I hadn't bought cake mixes to notice. What flour do you use for cake baking? Dd wanted to máke a vanilla cake but but ended up with near bread texture.

That's what is different, the bacon and OJ is smaller, ugh! I want a lb of bacon! What's next three sticks of butter, 10 eggs in a dozen! They can call it the value weight...........:faint::faint:

Today I flipped out at Cherrios! 8 oz box? Seriously? And strangely honey nut box was 10.5 oz for same price.

And don't get me started on ice cream. It supposed to be half gallon! And some of it is now ice milk so you have to really read the labels. Bryers got me on vanilla!

We had to buy a new roll of aluminum foil recently. I got what I thought was the same roll we always purchase. When I got it home, I noticed that the roll had shrunk from 200 sq ft to 180 sq ft, and stupid WalMart had put New Size! on the packaging, like I'm supposed to be excited about getting 20 less sq ft of foil? Decrease the amount of product, fine. Everyone's doing it. But don't pretend this is some exciting improvement to the product! This has got to stop.

Bacon is the worst I have found so far. A "pound" of bacon is now 12 oz. ridiculous and the price has not decreased by 1/3!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Hormel bacon is still 1 lb. if you have that brand in your area.

Also, those packs of small candy bars used to have 10 in a pack for $1, then they went to 8 in a pack, then they shrunk them down so small, they are barely worth opening!

We make buckeyes at Christmas time. The Large Hershey bars have changed so much over the years, it is unreal. You would think we would all get skinnier!

Check any prepackaged deli meat you may buy. Lots of it went from 16 oz down to 14 in about the past year or so. And I'm sure the price is the same.

I'm with you guys. I am always slightly offended when whatever the product may be is marketed as "more efficient sizing" or "less packaging". Ummm.. there's less product and it costs the same or more.. stop with the clever marketing. I'll still buy it if I like it, but acting like I'm too dumb to notice isn't helping matters.:rolleyes2

I think it would be smart if companies would survey consumers to see if they would rather pay more for the same amount, or have the products packaged in smaller amounts so they can pay less. Pretending we won't notice the difference is insulting!

This is kind of an odd one, but in the past year or so I've broken every tape dispenser I've purchased (like Scotch tape). Its like the brute force I exert by pulling off a piece of tape is just too much. I've never had this problem in the past, and now its a constant thing. They must have lowered the quality.

Oh boy, I hadn't bought cake mixes to notice. What flour do you use for cake baking? Dd wanted to máke a vanilla cake but but ended up with near bread texture.
:

I always use the kind of flour the recipe calls for- usually All Purpose-
but I have learned to always, always sift my flour before measuring-
mostly because I was sick and tired of getting inconsistent results from the same recipe.
Sifting works. :thumbsup2

The recipe I use for a golden Vanilla cake is from Gesine Bullock-Prado and can probably be found at this site: http://www.gesine.com/

Her site has changed and I cannot access it from where I am now but here is the recipe that I have saved in my microsoft word recipe file:

"VANILLA CAKE
Ingredients:

8 ounces softened butter
2 cups sugar
5 room temperature eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup non-fat buttermilk

Equipment:

Three 8" cake rounds
Non-stick cooking spray
Parchment paper
Rubber spatula
Stand mixer with whisk attachment

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325.

Spray the cake rounds with non-stick spray. Tear or cut parchment into rounds to cover the bottom of each pan. Spray the top of the parchment round once it's in place.

Sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside in a bowl or onto a sheet of parchment paper.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. At least 5 minutes on high speed. I mean it. It if takes longer, it takes longer. Scrape sides of bowl every few minutes using the whisk attachment or a rubber spatula. This is crucial. Otherwise you're going to be left with errant chunks of butter in your finished batter. You'll get little pockets of butter and sugar in the finished cake, crunchy divots in an otherwise beautifully moist cake. Patience!

Add eggs one at a time. Making sure each egg is perfectly incorporated before you add another. Scrape down sides of bowl after every few eggs. Add vanilla extract and/ or vanilla seeds.

Add flour and buttermilk in alternative pours, about 2 cups of flour and 1 cup of buttermilk each go. Mix on slow speed and scrape the bowl during the process. I know, it's a pain in the butt. It's worth it.

Once everything is well incorporated, use a plastic
spatula to fold the batter a few more times to make
perfectly sure you've got everything will mixed.

Divide the batter between your cake pans. Bake in preheated oven for twenty to forty minutes. Check for doneness by pressing gently on the cake. If you leave an indent, not done. If it bounces back gently without leaving a mark, done. If the cake doesn't budge when you poke it, over done. Start over. Waste of expensive ingredients. So be Johnny or Joannie on the spot.

Let your cake cool completely before filling."

I will say that I make this in two 9 inch round pans with no problem.
In fact, I made this for my husband's birthday last week- substituting coconut extract for part of the vanilla, and coconut milk for the buttermilk- but I also added some buttermilk powder along with the flour.

I frosted it with a 7 minute frosting and thawed frozen coconut (similar to fresh grated coconut) and it was DIVINE. :cloud9:

And if you love Vanilla like I do- I buy Vanilla Bean Crush from King Arthur flour. Best Vanilla Ever- with tons of flecks of vanilla bean in it- and they do not down size their products!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter