I want to walk on a glacier.

DlandAP

Earning My Ears
We are picking out our port adventures for Alaska later this year. The fam wants to walk on a glacier. Which would be the adventure/s] that actually lets you walk on the ice, without the cost of a helicopter or seaplane ?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure there is one.... getting to a glacier is something that requires flying out to it mostly. Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau would be the closest you can "walk" up to without a helicopter that I know of but you still can't get on it. It sounds like cost is an issue, but if you can find a way to swing it, our helicopter out to a glacier was amazing. The ice was amazing and the water is this crazy color blue that even pictures don't due justice to. You can check out our day on the glacier here if that helps you decide. http://frequentlyaskeddisneyblog.com/disney-cruise-alaska-part-24/

I'm from Juneau and lived about a mile from the Mendenhall Glacier. There are hiking trails from the visitor's center but they don't go to the glacier. Not least because of bears.

I booked a private tour and walked on a glacier for 90 minutes in Juneau.

Costal copters. It was beyond brilliant. We landed in the ice by ourselves.

You probably don't see a lot of "walking on glacier" options because it's dangerous. Since you will be there in the summer, the glaciers are melting so you would be walking on melting ice. To get an idea of the amount of melting, just look at the "base" of the glacier where they meet the water and you will see thousands of gallons of water a minute flowing from the ice - not to mention the ice "avalanches" as big sections break off. I did a hike up a mountain adjacent to Exit Glacier, and that provided some amazing views of the glacier - see below. As someone posted above, it is obviously an option through some companies. We walked up through plenty of snow and ice on the way - that was enough for us.

On the park service literature concerning bears, it says to "play dead" if a bear attacks you. Then, it states "if a bear begins feasting on you, fight back vigorously." It just doesn't get any better than that - I still have the pamphlet to this day :-)

Exit glacier.jpg

We did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari excursion a few years ago. We took a boat to Glacier Point, hiked a bit and then took some canoes out to the base of the glacier. They give you boots and gear because you walking on top of the ice, just brush away the dirt and you can see the ice beneath you.

1025870_10151556505294125_1947592737_o.jpg 1014764_10151556504419125_1150886923_o.jpg

If there is anyway that you can swing the helicopter ride to a glacier, do it! We did a helicopter flight in Skagway and it was AMAZING...a once in a lifetime excursion!

The views of the ships when you take off were great. We flew over waterway and then up and over the mountains, along another waterway which then turned into the glacier. We landed and walked on it for about a half hour before taking the helicopter up and over another set of mountains, and over an endless ice field. Then over mountains back to the waterway where the ships were docked. The colors of the ice and water were spectacular up there! It was amazing to see just how small we were compared to the surroundings.

I was surprised at how smooth the ride was. DH was terrified to go and we almost canceled because of it but he is thankful we went and given the chance, he would do it again.

We hiked up to Laughton Glacier when we stopped in Skagway on our trip in July 2016. Not gonna lie, it was a hard climb up and even harder coming down as the little rocks are slippery so it is tough on the ankles. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It was so peaceful. We even got to see the the glacier calving while we were there. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I would definitely recommend it if you are able to climb and it is something that you are want to do.

We hiked up to Laughton Glacier when we stopped in Skagway on our trip in July 2016. Not gonna lie, it was a hard climb up and even harder coming down as the little rocks are slippery so it is tough on the ankles. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It was so peaceful. We even got to see the the glacier calving while we were there. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I would definitely recommend it if you are able to climb and it is something that you are want to do.

I was just going to suggest this! I live in Skagway and this is one of our favorite hikes. We do it several times a summer. The views are amazing. It’s not exactly a walk in the park, but I don’t consider it a strenuous hike, and you can walk on a glacier. I usually walk in flip flops for the first couple miles to the viewpoint, and then put hiking shoes on once we get to the morraine and start climbing. It’s cost effective, compared to a helicopter. And a great opportunity to spend the day with your family doing something fun and different.

You have to take the train to the trailhead, and you need to book the all day option. The half-day is great if you just want to go to the lookout, but not actually all the way to the glacier.

You can book the train at Wpyr.com. Go to excursions and then pick Laughton. I think you’ll really enjoy it. If you have any questions, I’m
Happy to help.

I once walked in a glacier. In Switzerland they carved out a gallery into a glacier that includes sculptures. Just had to fly to Switzerland, take a train into the Alps and hike up a mountain to the glacier. It cost less than a Disney Alaskan cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter