• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want the DDP but don't want a schedule!!

Things have changed. If you spend the money on a dining plan, it is wise to have a plan.

If you do not want a schedule, then I would skip the DDP. There is lots of variety at the CS places, it is not just burgers and fries.

You can also call Disney Dining that day or the day before to see what is available. If you are flexible and willing to go the 'less traveled' path, there are often TS places to eat.

If there is a MUST do for you, then yes, I would plan around that meal. Disney planning is not for the faint of heart!!

Unfortunately, even if you are going OOP, if you want to sit down and eat you have to have ADRs. ADRs are just more important with DDP because you have pre-paid for those meals.

Unfortunately, even if you are going OOP, if you want to sit down and eat you have to have ADRs. ADRs are just more important with DDP because you have pre-paid for those meals.

Well, that's what I was thinking too. We'd need ADRs anyway, right? There are only so many burgers/hot dogs/wraps I can eat!! Besides, in pricing some sample meals using strictly CS/TS per day, we'll save $ on DDP.

If we eat at one good place per day we'll save on the rest :-)

That is only for table service that you need a reservation, correct? The last two trips we took...granted a REALLY long time ago we didn't go to a sit down resraurant the whole trip, so I can't make ADR's for those, can I? I think we ate a Pecos Bill's, some food court at Epcot, the food court at our hotel and Pizza Planet. Those are the only places I've ever eaten.

Christine

Well, that's what I was thinking too. We'd need ADRs anyway, right?
True, but without the Plan it's no big deal to change your itinerary on the fly. For example, if your Fantasmic night rains out, you might prefer to cancel a dinner you have scheduled elsewhere, instead grabbing a CS meal in Studios. If you are on the plan, it's hard to make that change unless you can get an ADR in Studios on short notice.

We never (and I mean *never*) manage to stick to our plan for the week---and cash is just more flexible for this than pre-paid credits.

I dont think its a big deal to make ADRs. We eat around 6pm every night. So we make our ADRs around that time. Its no harder to do a 6pm ADR than to catch the 3pm parade.

All of you.....great tips! I'll suck it up and make ADR's for dinner and I think the sit down time will be welcomed and a nice time to talk about the day.

Mickeystoontown: How do you like going that time of the year? How is the crowd and weather?

I've gone in early May twice-had high 80's low 90's both trips with little to no rain. The crowds were manageable. I took my DD to WDW for her 7th bday 5/19 to 5/23 and it was 100+:scared1: on 5/23 and the parks were more crowded BUT...that was 2006 when FL schools got out earlier than they do now.

Things have changed. If you spend the money on a dining plan, it is wise to have a plan.

If you do not want a schedule, then I would skip the DDP. There is lots of variety at the CS places, it is not just burgers and fries.

You can also call Disney Dining that day or the day before to see what is available. If you are flexible and willing to go the 'less traveled' path, there are often TS places to eat.

If there is a MUST do for you, then yes, I would plan around that meal. Disney planning is not for the faint of heart!!

I totally agree with this. If you are totally against a schedule, then the DDP isn't the best choice for you. You could chance it w/o an ADR, but what if you can't get in anywhere that day for a TS? It would be pretty frustrating! And the last thing I want to be at Disney is frustrated...so I plan out where we're eating 180 days out...

My suggestion if you really want the DDP is to make ADRs for each day & if when the day comes & you don't want to eat at that restaurant you can cancel the ADR (assuming it's one that doesn't have a penalty for cancelling) or call that morning if there is another restaurant you'd rather eat at & see if there are any openings. Try making ADRs for one park each day & then you'll know what park to hit that day.

Good luck & have fun!!

the "question" really shouldn't be "I want the DDP but I don't want a schedule" the question you really have to ask yourself is do you want to eat at a TS while you are at Disney? If you answer yes you need to make ADRs, otherwise when you get there you will have no chance. Think about it, Disney takes ADRs 180 days out for a reason. Can you get into a popular restaurant at home if you just show up or even if you call that day for a reservation? not so much.
If you are going to make ADRs then you'd be a fool not to use the dining plan. But if you are just going to do CS you probably won't save any money.

It is a Dining "PLAN", so a "schedule" or some sort of planning tool (ADRs) must go along with it, otherwise you may not have anywhere to use your dining plan if you do decide to purchase it. You could make the TS ADRs, and at least you would have somewhere to eat if you do choose the plan.

All of you.....great tips! I'll suck it up and make ADR's for dinner and I think the sit down time will be welcomed and a nice time to talk about the day.

Mickeystoontown: How do you like going that time of the year? How is the crowd and weather?

I think you'll be ready for a nice sit down meal by dinner time. Make sure you look at the night time entertainment schedule. Most table service dinners take approximately an hour or a little more. It just depends on your server and the restaurant. Factor that in when and if you plan on seeing the night time entertainment.

We love going to WDW during May/June. Some of the schools are not out yet so the crowds aren't unmanageable. You will see some significant wait times at the most popular attractions. Hit those first thing in the morning or at least by early afternoon. Also, don't forget to utilize the Fastpass system.

The temperatures are normally in the high 80's/low 90's. We are used to the high temperatures so those don't bother us a bit. It will probably rain every day. Not long and not too hard. It certainly doesn't keep us from touring the parks. Just take along a poncho and keep on hitting the attractions. Some of the other guests will take shelter in the stores and restaurants but we have found that the lines for the attractions will thin out a bit during the rain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter