I want one

JeffPoth

Earning My Ears
I was just browsing the normal range lenses trying to decide which lens I plan to rent when I travel to the World with my family in October and I stumbled across this http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon-50mm-f1.0-l/for-canon
I was unaware that a 1.0 even existed. Does anyone have any experience with one? In the description it said it was soft. I was wondering if they meant the bokeh or the actual image.

The image was soft. The f/1.4 took better pictures at any f/stop above f/1.4. I always saw it as more of a marketing/bragging rights gimmick than a real lens. Unless you absolutely needed f/1 shots, it wasn't a very good lens. The 50mm f/1.2 that replaced it is a much better lens.

They also offer an 85mm f/1.2, which is the only one I know of from a major lens maker (Nikon's 85mm is f/1.4). It's supposed to be an awesome lens, although it has some CA (color fringing) problems. I just put in a rental order for one. At $1,850, it isn't cheap. I want to make sure that I can get useful f/1.2 shots with it before I commit to spending that kind of money. I'm concerned that my usual subjects (mostly kids) move too much for that little DOF. I might be better off with the $400 f/1.8 instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter