I wanna ditch the kids and have a romantical dinner...

Canadian Harmony

DIS Veteran
at least one of the nights we're there, anyway.

We're going the first week of October.
I'm thinking of the Wednesday, unless it's a MHP, in which case we'll do it the Monday (but that's DD10's birthday, so I'd prefer not to).

I was thinking we could put the kids in Pinocchio's Workshop and then DH and I could eat at Steakhouse 55 (that's what's in the GCH, right?).

Is that a good place for dinner?
Should I make reservations?
And reserve for PW too?
Should I feed the kids before hand, or can they eat there? If they do eat there, does the food get delivered? And is there a higher charge for this? Or can they just order off a menu and eat there?

Does anyone have reviews of PW? I've read some babysitting-in-the-room reviews, but I know the girls would love PW.

TIA

at least one of the nights we're there, anyway.

We're going the first week of October.
I'm thinking of the Wednesday, unless it's a MHP, in which case we'll do it the Monday (but that's DD10's birthday, so I'd prefer not to).

I was thinking we could put the kids in Pinocchio's Workshop and then DH and I could eat at Steakhouse 55 (that's what's in the GCH, right?).

Is that a good place for dinner?
Should I make reservations?
And reserve for PW too?
Should I feed the kids before hand, or can they eat there? If they do eat there, does the food get delivered? And is there a higher charge for this? Or can they just order off a menu and eat there?

Does anyone have reviews of PW? I've read some babysitting-in-the-room reviews, but I know the girls would love PW.

TIA
I found this info (ages 5-12):

Reservations
Open 7 days a week from 5:00 PM to midnight, Pinocchio’s Workshop is available to Guests of the Disneyland Resort hotels. Although subject to change, the charge is $13.00 per hour. To reserve a spot for your child, please visit Pinocchio’s Workshop at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa or the Guest Services desk in the hotel lobby, or call (714) 635-2300. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent of guardian permission to call.

A snack is served, while dinner can be arranged for an additional fee.

Know Before You Go

To enroll your child at Pinocchio’s Workshop, your child must:

• Be toilet-trained; children in diapers or pull-ups are not admitted
  • Play well with others
  • Be able to feed himself or herself
  • Not require individual supervision or one-on-one attention
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/recreation/grand-californian-hotel/pinocchios-workshop/

we just got back from celebrating our 10th anniversary at DLR and had our big anniversary dinner at the Napa Rose Chef's Counter.

my wife is a foodie and we've had some pretty amazing dining experiences, but this was hands down the best meal that either of us have ever had. and it was very intimate and romantic too.

it's pricey at $100/person plus an additional $50ish if you want to do the wine pairing with it (we didn't). but it was very much worth every penny and we came away with some special memories.

When you said "romantic dinner," my suggestion was going to be Steakhouse 55. My husband and I dined here for our one-year anniversary. This restaurant is actually located in The Disneyland Hotel, not Grand Californian. I would definitely make reservations and let them know if you're celebrating anything special. I don't know anything about PW.

Napa Rose is in the GCH. Steakhouse 55 is in the DLH. Both are nice and the service at both is very good. Look at the menus online to see which restaurant would suit your romantical needs best. Have a wonderful dinner!

Nope. No such thing as romantic anything man when you have tots. All that goes out the window. Never to be the way it had been before the babies.

:scared:

Lol

:faint:

We sent DS to Pinnochio's Workshop while DH, SIL and I went to the chef's counter at Napa Rose. I cannot recommend it enough and will happily shell out the $$$ to do it again next time we stay onsite!

You can arrange for the kids to eat dinner there at an additional charge, the options were things like burgers, chicken fingers and such.

DS had an amazing time there, lots of things to do!

The girls will be 11 and 8 (day before she turns 9!), so they fall within the PW guidelines.

It'll be a belated anniversary dinner for us (by 2 weeks) and we're used to shelling out $$$$ for our anniversary meals. It's the only time we do.

I'll check the menus out and see what DH would like more. I have a feeling it'll be Steakhouse simply because he's a 'steak' type of guy.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Steakhouse 55 is fine, but Napa Rose Chef's counter will give you a better chance of an evening free of other people's children...SH55 is regular seating, so your dinner for two may be interrupted by a family who has little interest in supervising their children in a restaurant. NRs CC has far less of a chance of this occurring, but due to he busy nature of the kitchen it isn't as "romantic". It's far more of an experience, especially if you get Chef Sutton!

We've done the Chef's counter twice and had an amazing time. PW is awesome, our 7 year old didn't want to leave when we came to pick him up.

Mike

Be aware that Napa Rose is the restaurant feet away from Pinocchio's Workshop at GCH but Steakhouse 55 is at least a 12-15 minute walk away at the DLH.

So if you're at all worried about the kids you might not want to be that far away. But their ages seem like they would be fine. You could also go eat at Morton's Steakhouse or Ruth's Chris which are both famous in Southern California and just as far away.

You do need to feed the kids ahead of time. Ideally we have room service brought to the room for the kids as we are getting ready and they eat then we walk them to PW (Full disclosure my DD was not been to PW but my cousin and a travel friend have take their kids)

I'd choose Napa Rose over Steakhouse 55 for romantic and proximity to the kids if you'll be worried about them.

Whichever restaurant you choose, remember to note that this will be a romantic dinner when you make your reservation. Celebrating something at DLR doesn't always have to be a birthday or an anniversary. We've requested a quiet table for a romantic dinner at NR, S55, and CCR without any problems (it does help to book for a not-full-peak time). That way you shouldn't have to worry about being right next to a non-romantical party. The CM on the Dine Line will note your request, and be sure to repeat the request when you check in with the host or hostess.

We took our DS7 to PW last November so we could have some adult time in the parks. It was great, so convenient, and DS enjoyed it. They do offer a kids dinner and from what I remember it was pretty reasonably priced, like only an extra $5 or something like that. They will also take the kids to the deck to watch fireworks. Plus they have story time, video games, and cots if the kids are tired and want to sleep (yeah, right). I thought it was a great deal and would definitely use them again.
One tip: the paperwork you have to fill out is pretty extensive, so either give yourselves some extra time at drop off or pick the forms up in advance to fill out and have ready when you get there.
Have a wonderful trip!

I'd go for steakhouse 55. It's one of my favs! As an above poster stated, it is regular restaurant seating, but I've never been in there when there were little kids, much less noisy. There are a couple out of the way tables that you could probably request.

I would go to Steakhouse 55, at the Disneyland Hotel. I loved it!! Napa Rose is good, too, though. But if you're looking for a good steak, that's the place to go, IMO. Oh, and definitely make reservations.

Thanks everyone! We're arriving the Sunday that Gay Days ends, so we're planning the dinner on the Wednesday after. We're staying on site at PPH. I'm waiting to see what date the MHP is the week we're there before making dinner reservations.

I appreciate all the tips and tricks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter