I took my own sheets and boy did I sleep well

Mississippian

DIS Veteran
Like many people I'm a little grossed out by hotel blankets and comforters. Yet I have to have them to sleep. I frequently travel with a down comforter in the back of my truck so that I can strip the beds at motels and just use my comforter.

On our most recent trip to BWV I packed a set of king size sheets. On arrival I stripped the bed and made it with my sheets from home. I then put the blanket on the bed. I then put one of the hotel sheets on top of the blanket, except that I laid it so that the top of the sheet was about a 18 inches higher than the top of the blanket.

Then I put the bedspread on the bed, followed by another sheet. Then I folded the extra foot of the first hotel sheet down over the top sheet.

I can't describe how clean and crisp the bed felt -- better than my bed back home. I never once had to touch the blanket or comforter except while making the bed. Just thought I would pass this on. I doubt I will go without my own sheets again.

Like many people I'm a little grossed out by hotel blankets and comforters. Yet I have to have them to sleep. I frequently travel with a down comforter in the back of my truck so that I can strip the beds at motels and just use my comforter.

On our most recent trip to BWV I packed a set of king size sheets. On arrival I stripped the bed and made it with my sheets from home. I then put the blanket on the bed. I then put one of the hotel sheets on top of the blanket, except that I laid it so that the top of the sheet was about a 18 inches higher than the top of the blanket.

Then I put the bedspread on the bed, followed by another sheet. Then I folded the extra foot of the first hotel sheet down over the top sheet.

I can't describe how clean and crisp the bed felt -- better than my bed back home. I never once had to touch the blanket or comforter except while making the bed. Just thought I would pass this on. I doubt I will go without my own sheets again.

You sound like a candidate for the looney bin.

No, No. Wait a minute, that's not right.

Wrong bin! :)

You sound like a candidate for the "Owner's Locker" that they have been saying so much about. You can easily bring down your own linens, pillows, and other incidentals, use them here, launder them before you leave, store them in the owner's locker, have it picked up when you check out, and your favorite sheets and things will be waiting for you the next time you go.

You really might want to look into that . . .

Wow! Why didn't I think of that? I hate how hotel sheets come untucked all the time, not to mention how gross the blanket and comforter are! Bringing my own sounds fantastic! Thanks!

And now an owner's locker is making some sense too. I also would love to have my body pillow and all my own pillows. Man, am I going to sleep well next time!

You sound like a candidate for the "Owner's Locker" that they have been saying so much about. You can easily bring down your own linens, pillows, and other incidentals, use them here, launder them before you leave, store them in the owner's locker, have it picked up when you check out, and your favorite sheets and things will be waiting for you the next time you go.

It's really easier to just bring an extra suitcase or two. Usually I only need one suitcase per person. Since we are allowed two, I packed an extra one with beach towels (didn't use), groceries (used), and the sheets. With the Magical Express, I never even had to touch the bags other than to pack and unpack.

Do you have OCD in any other areas? :)

You sound like a candidate for the "Owner's Locker" that they have been saying so much about. You can easily bring down your own linens said:
That was my first thought.:) We used our owner's locker for the first time on our last trip and loved it. I did leave my own feather pillow in it, along with a bunch of other things. DH and I dislike lugging our luggage around, so we much prefer this to an extra suitcase. Because we usually fly airlines that don't participate in the Magical Express luggage pick up, it makes a difference. The only thing our Owner's Locker needs is wheels.

Do you have OCD in any other areas? :)

I know you are partly kidding and partly serious. But I want you to study how you sleep on a hotel bed next time you stay. If you are like me the bedspread and blanket will be up under your armpits part of the time, and up against your face part of the time.

Now remember that all the other guests sleep the same way. And they don't wash the blanket and bedspread!

Are you sure you won't be packing your own sheets next time?

I know you are partly kidding and partly serious. But I want you to study how you sleep on a hotel bed next time you stay. If you are like me the bedspread and blanket will be up under your armpits part of the time, and up against your face part of the time.

Now remember that all the other guests sleep the same way. And they don't wash the blanket and bedspread!

This has been discussed for years on this board. All you really have to do is call housekeeping when you get to your room, and ask for a freshly laundered blanket and comforter.

I love it! :) You are just like my DH! But he takes it one step farther -- he INSISTS on bringing his own pillow, his own blankets and his own towels everywhere we go. It used to drive me crazy when we were first married -- but after many years of marriage, I'm used to it.

He says that he's just more comfortable using his own things. He has his pillow "broken in" just the way he likes it, etc. I don't think he worries so much about germs, bacteria and other substances on hotel items -- it's just the comfort factor for him.

This has been discussed for years on this board. All you really have to do is call housekeeping when you get to your room, and ask for a freshly laundered blanket and comforter.

I have never thought of that! It seems so simple! THanks for the idea!

I know you can do this. But the sheets are laundered with hot water and bleach. I'm just not sure how well the blanket and bedspread and laundered.

It's just this ONE THING that I'm picky about. Also, having the extra sheets just "felt" better, don't know how to describe it.

First thing I do when I get settled in my villa is take the bedspread off the bed and put it in the closet. I never touch it again (one too many Prime Time specials for me). I also keep my king fitted sheet & a pillow in my Owner's Locker. It definitely makes me sleep much better, as one touch of bare skin to mattress makes me all kinds of neurotic :scared1: I think I will add a top sheet too, though. I have stayed at a few hotels where the blanket is completely encased within sheets, and it feels very luxurious. Thanks for the idea, Mississippian :)

Note to self: Next trip pack Top Sheet for Home-in-a-Box.

I know you can do this. But the sheets are laundered with hot water and bleach. I'm just not sure how well the blanket and bedspread and laundered.

It's just this ONE THING that I'm picky about. Also, having the extra sheets just "felt" better, don't know how to describe it.

Hot water and non-chlorine bleach, FYI.

Disney uses very similar laundering procedures used in most hospitals. If they bring you "freshly laundered" stuff (and that's the key) it's not quite, but very close to, sterile clinical "quality".

We bring our own sheets because NOT having the fitted sheet on the bottom, but a flat sheet that constantly comes untucked, annoys the heck out of us. My wife and I both sleep lousy that way. We bring both a fitted and flat because she wants the sheets to match....

:)

Honestly, 99% kidding. I believe the blanket does get laundered every time though, but not the spread. I take the bedspread off and it goes in the corner or the closet.

Frankly, I'm more concerned with grabbing onto a shopping cart handle. I know I'm getting a cart that some snotty, nose picking, slobbering, sick with the a cold, toddler was teething on earlier in the day. :sick:

DH and I took a tour of the WDW laundry and it was something to see. We were told that each comforter and blanket are washed when a guest checks out. This was always my concern after too many of those 60 minutes/20-20 etc shows too.

I had started a thread about the sheets absolutely NOT fitting the beds...they don't even come down low enough to tuck them in. I sent an email when I arrived home and I got an actual phone call from WDW executive offices. It annoyed me that someone would buy these sheets, and that they actually expected someone else to sleep on them...so, at least my complaint was heard and passed along.

I am always bringing my own sheets along with me from now on. I always bring my own pillow or I wake up with a stiff neck.

OP's way of turning down the bed is great - this was done for me not long ago at a luxury hotel I stayed at. It was so nice and crisp and comfy.

Still can't fathom paying money for owner's locker. Sorry. Disney should purchase sheets that fit a bed for crying in a bucket. Just MO

I have stayed at a few hotels where the blanket is completely encased within sheets, and it feels very luxurious.

It's called triple sheeting and many/most deluxe hotels do it. The Polynesian used to do it in all rooms but currently just the concierge rooms have it. Same with the other WDW club level rooms we've stayed in.

I do love it as it is so crisp feeling and the extra layer does make it cozier too. But I'm holding out hope that it becomes standard again someday in WDW deluxe rooms and villas.:thumbsup2

After talking to a former maid, I am grossed out about sleeping in hotels. They are supposed to strip the beds after each guest leaves but don't always do it to save time. The blankets and comforters hardly get washed-EVER. They don't even change the towels if they look OK (untouched). I wouldn't feel too bad about staying in a DVC villa because we can easily wash whatever sheets we want. The sheets will probably have been changed because people stay more than 1 night, usually. In hotels, they may stay only a night and the maids will have many rooms to clean and beds to strip so they cut corners. I am not OCD but will be bringing a set of sheets and pillowcase for any hotels I stay in. DVC, I will just toss them in the washing machine. I will bring antiseptic wash though for the bathroom. She said they leave the bathroom/shower alone if it looks clean. They have a small amount of time to clean a lot of rooms and will cut corners to get done in time. YUK! I kind of wish she hadn't told me.
I don't think I want to know what goes on in restaurant kitchens either.....

We took as set of queen size sheets with us to Saratoga for the first time during our October trip.

I wasn't smart enough to think to use Disney's extra sheet on top of the blanket... but I agree with what the OP said... I never slept better at my WDW home.

Thank you OP for the trip sheet idea. I will definately use it during my December trip.

Disney should purchase sheets that fit a bed for crying in a bucket. Just MO

I think it is a matter of economics that Disney and all hotels use a flat sheet for both the top and bottom. Certainly you have tried to fold a fitted sheet.... I have never ended up with a happy result... just looks like a pile of mess. Plus they're buying 2X number of the same type of sheets and it is cheaper. I don't think this will ever change. They have automated equipment that can easily fold up a flat sheet, but a fitted sheet is near impossible by machine.

I expect Disney has more strict standards as far as the maids stripping the beds and refitting them... I don't expect that happens always at a standard hotel, but I do expect Disney to do that.

I am glad to see the post by bsusanmb.... I hope this is true and that everything is laundered after a visitor leaves. Disney is so big... why would they chance a problem by not laundering everything between guests.

We take additional pillows... because we love our home pillows and it helps us feel at home like in our own bed.

Bottom line for me... If I am staying at a standard hotel.... I am real leary about the linens... but, If I am staying at Disney... I believe they have a program/system to address all my concerns. This a great part of why I own Disney.

I have to disagree with the economics theory. I have been a nurse for 30 years and have put lots of flat sheets on a bed and it was tight! And DH is retired AF and he had quarters bounced off his linens...you can tuck a flat sheet in IF IT IS WIDE ENOUGH TO FIT THE BED!!! The sheets at SSR barely cover the top of the mattress. It is horrible. You wake up all night long on a bare mattress because you can't even tuck in the fitted mattress pad. So whoever is the purchaser of linens should be FIRED. For the money I have paid for my DVC and the annual dues, the sheets should fit. I have read that Disney is upgrading their linen to Wamsutta...just hope that whoever is purchasing knows something about linens and how they fit on a mattress.

I never touch the bedspreads ANYWHERE....even Disney...even after we toured the laundry and were told that the entire room is stripped when someone checks out of a room. Must be the nurse in me...fearing MRSA...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter