I think we are done with Ohana

Neesy228

DIS Veteran
We've been long time fans of Ohana, but after the third horrible dinner experience there (since this past March), I think we're done traveling there. We enjoyed it so much that we kept giving it another chance, but our dinner experience last night has sealed the deal.

We had a 6:45 ADR, were seating around 7:00. before we all sat down, someone had walked by, threw the salad on the table and disappeared without a word. Our server showed up, holding a tray of dirty dishes, to take our drink order. When she returned, she had gotten three of five drinks wrong. Two more platters of food were dropped on our table in the meantime, again without saying anything. Then our server and the woman who was throwing food at us came around and put meats on our plates without even asking if wanted any. Our table was cleared, dessert was brought - along with our check. We were out of there in less than 40 minutes from the time we sat down -- and that includes the time it took her to get her machine to work with my MB.

The food was lackluster at best. Very Rare steak, dry chicken, tough pork, bland veggies and wings. The service was horrific. It wasn't just our table that was rushed out the door either, so they must be on a very restrictive schedule to get the next group of people in the door. Definitely not worth the $163 bill we received with our dessert!

We had similar experiences in September and March as well - although there was less food throwing on those occasions ;)

So, sadly, we are moving on. We will be heading to Boma instead.

I hate to hear this. We have it booked for our trip in a few weeks. The last time we were there, about 2 years ago, it was very good. Did you complain to anyone while you were there?

I hate to hear this. We have it booked for our trip in a few weeks. The last time we were there, about 2 years ago, it was very good. Did you complain to anyone while you were there?

It's a serious disappointment for us too. It used to be so awesome!

We talked about complaining, but in all honesty, we just wanted to leave. It was all very unpleasant and there wasn't anything that could have been remedied. The food was just poorly prepared and the service was rushed. It seems as though it's standard protocol there these days. I'm guessing that some bean counter figured out that if they could speed everyone up by X minutes, then they could get a whole other seating in there each night.

As long as it's booked solid each night from open to close, they don't much care. Very sad.

The first time it was kind of that way for us, but it was very good on our last trip. I'm going to give it a shot because my husband loves it. I hope all goes well.

I was there when Ohana FIRST opened...much different than today. I have given it many chances over the years, but is generally just OK at it's best.

It's really sad--CR has CA Grill, WL has Artist's Point, GF has V&A (and Citrico's, and Narcoossee's). Poly has Ohana??

I wish they would rethink dining.

Scott

Thanks for the review. We are going in February and trying Ohana for the first time. I had it last trip and cancelled it - I am debating the same now this trip.

I'm not sure if you have a car or not but if you do then I would go to Texas De Brazil on International Drive. Same type of concept but the food is excellent and the staff professional. We had heard rumors about the service and food at O'hana and decided to try something else. Made the correct decision.

Thanks for the review. We are going in February and trying Ohana for the first time. I had it last trip and cancelled it - I am debating the same now this trip.

We've been to Ohana twice and each time was just OK....never anything seriously wrong....just OK. That being said, I wouldn't cancel. There are a ton of people who LOVE Ohana and go back every trip. I find that with Disney dining you just have to try it out for yourself. You will find that every restaurant has it's lovers and it's haters. :thumbsup2

Please speak to a manager when this happens!! Servers hate it too and complain but it WILL change if guests do!!!

I believe rife problem goes beyond Ohana and extends to many TS restaurants because of DDP Disney has turned them in to cruise ship mass production meals with little thought to the culinary experience beyond the illusion of the setting.

We've dropped TS DDP and now will drop CS and switch to cash and TIW for a few select meals at WDW and VB. Even CS lack depth to what they portray at desert -/fudge brownie?? Really. ...is that what it is......

It's really sad--CR has CA Grill, WL has Artist's Point, GF has V&A (and Citrico's, and Narcoossee's). Poly has Ohana??

I wish they would rethink dining.

Scott

This fact is precisely why the Polynesian is vastly overpriced for the service it provides: ONE bar for a hotel this size that is swamped when its ONE deluxe dining destination opens. The second most expensive hotel in WDW offers only two restaurants? Really?

Our experience there last year was very disappointing as well. On the plus side, it frees up space there for those who like it and frees us up to try new places or go back to the ones we dig (like BOMA!!).

We've been to Ohana twice and each time was just OK....never anything seriously wrong....just OK. That being said, I wouldn't cancel. There are a ton of people who LOVE Ohana and go back every trip. I find that with Disney dining you just have to try it out for yourself. You will find that every restaurant has it's lovers and it's haters. :thumbsup2

Thanks! We debated it and are keeping it. After all, we really enjoy the CP and do it every trip but that seems to have a lot of displeased people too. Probably depends on your server, time of day, etc. I am hoping that since we have a 5:05pm ADR, it won't be too bad. At least we can say we tried it and if nothing else, I will just gorge on the bread pudding and pot stickers and more bread pudding!

I've been to Ohana twice and both times we liked it but I felt like it was just OK.

Next year I'm going to do Cali Grill instead. It's my SO first trip and I wanted to take him to Ohana but it's so hit or miss.

Next year I'm going to do Cali Grill instead. It's my SO first trip and I wanted to take him to Ohana but it's so hit or miss.

This is exactly my plan! I know my partner would love the wings and the beef, but as a server she would be so frustrated by the service that I and others have received. It is never incredibly awful, but it is often a little cold and almost too efficient - in the robotic sense of the word.

Our Ratings of Ohana: (*rev 4/15/2013*)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: B (Breakfast)

NOTE1: Used to be highly rated. However, the food has severely deteriorated over the
past year. The service is very spotty. Food is often cold. For quality/service, we select
another restaurant. As a side, unless you knew food was to be Polynesian, you wouldn't
have guessed. The kids might have fun at the eatery, but it certainly is not on our list
of eateries. It's too loud, it's too lax in service, it's too low in quality. That's too bad.

NOTE2: Ohana has a character breakfast with Lilo/Stitch, and with a photo-op for Mickey
and Pluto. It's about $25 per adult and about $15 per child, so not unreasonable at WDW
for scrambled eggs, potatoes, pastries, sausage links, bacon, waffles, and fruit. All-in-
all, not a bad deal or choice for breakfast.

It's a serious disappointment for us too. It used to be so awesome!

We talked about complaining, but in all honesty, we just wanted to leave. It was all very unpleasant and there wasn't anything that could have been remedied. The food was just poorly prepared and the service was rushed. It seems as though it's standard protocol there these days. I'm guessing that some bean counter figured out that if they could speed everyone up by X minutes, then they could get a whole other seating in there each night.

As long as it's booked solid each night from open to close, they don't much care. Very sad.

This has become food at Disney, and one of the reasons our Disney trips are only four or five days now. We only have signature dinners, unless there is something we really want to try (we might try Sanaa on one of the next trips). But even signature dining really isn't worth what we pay for it.

I was pretty shocked at how blah the food had become between our visits. We still had decent (if forgettable) service, but the magic faded for us

Weird how that can happen. No reason for it

We ate on Halloween night 6:45 ADR. We arrived early about 6:30 and we were seated a few minutes before 6:45. We felt rushed as well. Our server was friendly. He just spoke too fast and sometimes forgot things we asked for. We told him not to worry about vegetables and they were still brought. We asked for a refill for our daughter and had to remind him. I think they were understaffed. It seemed the servers were doing too much. I also thought that there were other people who brought the meat to the tables. My Husband loves Ohana. I enjoy it. Dessert is always great. I would say it was so-so. The lady, who goes around singing and playing with the kids got a little pushy and I didn't like that too much. We also ate breakfast at Ohana. I must say that I was very disappointed with that. I would do dinner over breakfast there any day!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Hearing more and more bad experiences lately. This is the one meal I am really looking forward to next week when we are there. I have only done Ohana for breakfast and loved it, so we decided to do dinner this trip. My sister and her husband had dinner there on Monday night and they loved it. They said the only bad thing about the meal was that it was way too much food, so I took that as a very good thing. I hope we have a positive experience next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter