I think this is a valid reason to pull a gun

His past experiences are irrelevant. He was in his home safe and sound. He wasn't in any immediate danger. The proper response would have been to stay inside his safe home and call the police. His response wasn't rationale. He chose to go outside and confront the guys. Had they truly been evil people, they may have both been armed and likely could have killed him.

Oh great. You have a self appointed head of neighbourhood watch. His last name isn't Zimmerman is it?

Past experiences are NOT irrelevant. Our past experiences are what make us who we are today and we respond based on our experiences. Your past experiences told you "they are painters and they are safe".

Have you ever seen someone who is military jump/cower when a car backfires? Their previous experience has told them that may be gunfire and they need to take cover. Past experience is very much a part of everyone's life.

Again you are only getting the story from the painters and since you were not there only getting one side of the story. Maybe a nice plate of "welcome to the neighborhood" cookies and a get to know the neighbor talk may show you a whole other side to the gentleman.

Our society is way to quick to judge people based on one snippet of time. I can't tell you how many times in my life I have had someone tell me "Man you are nothing like I thought you would be when I first saw/met you".

Judge on a snippet of time? I'm not judging him based on a comment he said, the clothes he wears, or the way he combs his hair. He left his perfectly safe home with a gun to confront two guys that were painting. To quote the painter, "He scared the living **** out of me!" He had no valid reason to leave his home, period. He was inside and safe. We live in a maintenance-free community. There will be people pressure washing his home, cutting his grass, pulling his weeds, painting his home and other parts of the community. If he is that quick to confront two guys clearly painting a wall that butts up to the community sidewalk, that says a great deal about him already. Hell will freeze over before I take someone like that a plate of cookies.

If there is a band of rogue painters, please direct them to my family room. We've been putting off that chore for years!

But seriously, there is no logical reason for that neighbor to come out with a gun, when he could have called the police with his concerns.

Wow. Just wow. I can't imagine someone waving a gun around because their are workman on their sidewalk. Absolutely no excuse for that. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

We have had roofers in our subdivision all summer as the homes are at the age that all the roofs need replaced. The subdivision was all built at the same time.

We have also had yard men in the neighborhood all summer as the homeowners association is re-landscaping front yards.

We have also had 6 robberies ( 2 at gun point) by men dressed as roofers/yardmen since May 1st this year.

You don't know what his previous experience has been and you are only getting one side of the story from the painters.

You had 2 robberies at gun point in your neighbourhood in one summer? And these were people living in the neighbourhood or working in a business? If it's at a private residence I would be getting out of that neighbourhood pretty darn fast! Sounds like a HORRIBLE place to live.

Yes. That's exactly what I said. :sad2:

You asked if his last name was Zimmerman? Not if he was THE George Zimmerman. It's a family name, so yes I take offense of lumping all Zimmermans in with one news making wacko! Every Zimmerman I know wishes he was in jail and I know alot of Zimmermans since they are family!

You had 2 robberies at gun point in your neighbourhood in one summer? And these were people living in the neighbourhood or working in a business? If it's at a private residence I would be getting out of that neighbourhood pretty darn fast! Sounds like a HORRIBLE place to live.
Just a minor correction. She said they had SIX robberies in one summer, but only two were at gunpoint!

1st let me say he was a overreactive but that said check the laws of your area. Is he allowed to carry if he doesn't leave his property. You said he asked about the wall, was he on his own land?

Agreed, police should be called. Regardless of the guy being right or wrong, once the gun is pointed at someone the police need to be involved. Pretty much a good rule for anytime a gun is involved.

This has happened in our area too, a few times unfortunately.

The Op said gun was by his side, so no one pointed a gun at anyone. I am sure there are others with weapons I. His area, they aren't all homicidal maniacs, I'm sure.

Judge on a snippet of time? I'm not judging him based on a comment he said, the clothes he wears, or the way he combs his hair. He left his perfectly safe home with a gun to confront two guys that were painting. To quote the painter, "He scared the living **** out of me!" He had no valid reason to leave his home, period. He was inside and safe. We live in a maintenance-free community. There will be people pressure washing his home, cutting his grass, pulling his weeds, painting his home and other parts of the community. If he is that quick to confront two guys clearly painting a wall that butts up to the community sidewalk, that says a great deal about him already. Hell will freeze over before I take someone like that a plate of cookies.

The only part of this I would call out - since when do I need a rvalid eason to leave my house? I might have asked & verified without the gun. The OP does not know this man, maybe there ha e been incidents in the area before got there. Call the police & have a conversation, maybe ask the neighbor.

1st let me say he was a overreactive but that said check the laws of your area. Is he allowed to carry if he doesn't leave his property. You said he asked about the wall, was he on his own land?

The Op said gun was by his side, so no one pointed a gun at anyone. I am sure there are others with weapons I. His area, they aren't all homicidal maniacs, I'm sure.

The only part of this I would call out - since when do I need a rvalid eason to leave my house? I might have asked & verified without the gun. The OP does not know this man, maybe there ha e been incidents in the area before got there. Call the police & have a conversation, maybe ask the neighbor.

He came out with the gun pointed at the painters. I said he lowered it to his side while the construction supervisor was being called, according to the painter.

There haven't been any incidences in the past in this area. It was cow pasture until the first group (including the guy in question) moved in four weeks ago.

You don't need a valid reason to leave your house, but if you come out with a gun pointed at people who are painting at the end of your property when there were clearly better options, you should expect your neighbors to judge you and think you are bat **** crazy.

It is really a pretty nice place to be just poor choice on homeowners association part on their choice of workers this summer.

but if you come out with a gun pointed at people who are painting at the end of your property when there were clearly better options, you should expect your neighbors to judge you and think you are bat **** crazy.

The judging part does not worry me. What worries me is what will happen one night when a few neighborhood kids walk across his property.

The police will handle it. They manage homeowners who inappropriately present firearms all the time. Despite what you hear in the news, it is usually referred to family court and a non punitive investigative organization to determine if the homeowner is safe to keep a gun in the home. This kinda stuff happens all the time, and there is a safe, established way to address it. The concern for benign passersby is exactly why no one but the police should handle it, and the homeowner himself is at high risk of being injured or killed if he thinks he is surrounded by some sort of threat and picks up his gun out of habit. It's a situation in need of a real safety plan involving not only the police, but his doctor, any family he may have, family court, etc.

I don't know the laws in your state, OP, so all I can talk about is generalities. A responsible firearms owner has had it drilled into his or her head that you NEVER point a gun at anything you're not ready to destroy. Period. In concealed carry classes, it is hammered into the students' heads that you AVOID confrontations whenever possible. You don't provoke them, because that gives a lawyer the opportunity to say that you made the first aggressive move with the intent of shooting.

While I strongly believe in the adage that when seconds count, the police are minutes away, there was no immediate danger here. He should have called the HOA, and if there wasn't any response or satisfactory answer, then call the police. Something about the appearance of these painters triggered your neighbor's suspicions. You said yourself that he doesn't react to all the construction workers, and from your description it sounds like the man was unclear on exactly who owned that wall. It sounds like it's in an easement, and a PP said -- very correctly -- that ownership of things in an easement can be a bit blurry. Still, if he was worried, he could have gotten his gun ready and just stayed inside until the police arrived, assuming that the HOA didn't answer his question.

On whether or not your neighbor was within his rights, I can't say because -- as I said -- I don't know the laws in your state. I know the laws in Texas, but I still wouldn't have gone to confront the painters with a gun pointed at them. That just makes for trouble. Consider: What if they ARE casing the neighborhood, but one or more is armed? The odds are very good that THEY would have gotten in the first shot. Bad news all around, with the potential for collateral casualties.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter