I think the Rent/Trade board should consider a new category.

DisneyKidds

<font color=green>The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mo
I understand (and applaud) the DIS rules regarding the Rent/Trade board when it comes to existing DVC reservations. We don't want people snapping up reservations at the most popular times of year with the intention of profiting off of them by renting them for $$$$ or trading them for hard to get reservations elsewhere. In most cases the 30 day rule regarding existing DVC reservations makes a lot of good sense. But there are circumstances when I think it doesn't.

For instance:

I have an existing reservation made with borrowed points that expire at the end of that trip. Unfortunately, we have to change the dates of our trip, so we won't be able to use the reservation. So, with the points stranded in a use year with not much time left, and no ability to use them before they expire, I have to find a way to get rid of them, or forfeit them. Once again, I see why the 30 day rule should exist and prevent me from renting that reservation, or trading it for another desireable reservation elsewhere before the 30 day mark. I shouldn't be able to benefit from this reservation. But here is where I think there is room for another category on the board.

What I would like to do is simply trade that reservation for a transfer of points equal to the number of points the reservation used. All I'd be doing is giving the reservation to someone else, and getting the points back into a use year that would have some value to me. Seems to me that that wouldn't violate the spirit of DVC and the Rent/Trade board. As the rules and categories stand now, I can do what I want, but not until within 30 days of checkin. Not sure I'd be comfortable leaving that little time to find a willing trade partner. At that point, I'd just assume rent the reservation at a premium if I could find someone who want to go during that time, which seems counter productive to the general goals around here to prevent profiteering. Another alternative is cancelling now and renting the points, but I'd really rather have the points available for trips we plan to take in 2010.

So, does anyone else think there would there be any room for and benefit from an Even Points for Reservation Trade category with less restrictions? It's not like people are going to start snapping up all the best reservations just so they can turn around and rade them for the same number of points they used, and such a category could provide some outlet/relief for members who find themselves in a sticky situation with borrowed points.

I understand (and applaud) the DIS rules regarding the Rent/Trade board when it comes to existing DVC reservations. We don't want people snapping up reservations at the most popular times of year with the intention of profiting off of them by renting them for $$$$ or trading them for hard to get reservations elsewhere. In most cases the 30 day rule regarding existing DVC reservations makes a lot of good sense. But there are circumstances when I think it doesn't.

For instance:

I have an existing reservation made with borrowed points that expire at the end of that trip. Unfortunately, we have to change the dates of our trip, so we won't be able to use the reservation. So, with the points stranded in a use year with not much time left, and no ability to use them before they expire, I have to find a way to get rid of them, or forfeit them. Once again, I see why the 30 day rule should exist and prevent me from renting that reservation, or trading it for another desireable reservation elsewhere before the 30 day mark. I shouldn't be able to benefit from this reservation. But here is where I think there is room for another category on the board.

What I would like to do is simply trade that reservation for a transfer of points equal to the number of points the reservation used. All I'd be doing is giving the reservation to someone else, and getting the points back into a use year that would have some value to me. Seems to me that that wouldn't violate the spirit of DVC and the Rent/Trade board. As the rules and categories stand now, I can do what I want, but not until within 30 days of checkin. Not sure I'd be comfortable leaving that little time to find a willing trade partner. At that point, I'd just assume rent the reservation at a premium if I could find someone who want to go during that time, which seems counter productive to the general goals around here to prevent profiteering. Another alternative is cancelling now and renting the points, but I'd really rather have the points available for trips we plan to take in 2010.

So, does anyone else think there would there be any room for and benefit from an Even Points for Reservation Trade category with less restrictions?

There is already a category which allows such a trade. You can use "Trade Wanted" but will still be governed by the 30-day rule.

In this case, why not just cancel the reservation and bank those points for use in your next Use Year or offer to make a reservation for someone else by renting those same points - you might find someone wanting a reservation in the next few months when there is still availability.

Good luck! :)

Right, but the whole point is that the 30 day rule, to me at least, seems overly restrictive when all someone is looking for is an even points trade. And you seem to have missed the point about the reservation being made with borrowed points. Those points can't be banked. So, rock, meet hard place. Yeah, I guess I'll have to cancel and try to rent, but as I said I'd much rather have those points available for future use.

Right, but the whole point is that the 30 day rule, to me at least, seems overly restrictive when all someone is looking for is an even points trade. And you seem to have missed the point about the reservation being made with borrowed points. Those points can't be banked. So, rock, meet hard place. Yeah, I guess I'll have to cancel and try to rent, but as I said I'd much rather have those points available for future use.

I did miss the part about borrowed points. Your options are to take your chances within 30 days or go ahead and try to rent to someone else. I would advise waiting to cancel until you have a renter lined up. I'd be very cautious about making sure you receive payment since these points are somewhat distressed.

Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter