I think the luggage tags are going to be an issue.

Buddy Bear

Tigger's Best Friend
For those who have read my prior posts you know that I am trying to pull off a fairly substantial surprise. My family thinks we have a cat 6, but I managed the "Roy" suite - cat 1. I have many of the details covered so they don't know, but I think I am stuck on the luggage tags. If I remember correctly don't the luggage tags have the stateroom number? I was hoping to keep this a surprise until after having lunch at Parrot Cay.

Jeff

Oh, man, what a surprise!! Good for you. I think you're right, though I could be mistaken. Any way to get luggage tags ahead of time and put them on as the CM is taking them and having family wait inside the terminal?

You also get a different colored Key Card with your cabin number prior to boarding. And at boarding you will get to go in the fast line for check in and for boarding.

My personal opinion, I would put the tags on as normal. Act as casual as possible. See how long it took for anyone to notice the different cabin number. I wouldn't be able to stop grinning ear to ear waiting for my hubby to see it and figure it out. If they do, then you'll enjoy their anticipation and excitement for the whole trip there. If they don't, then it will be a fun time for you wondering when they will figure it out. Print out some pics from here and other web sites to show them what they have in store.

Either way, you are more relaxed about the whole thing and they get just that much more excited for that much longer.

I have stayed in both suites and the anticipation of staying there adds that much to the excitement. They are huge. You will have more room than you could ever need. We didn't discover the board games stashed away in the Roy suite until the night we packed to go home. I spent many days lounging on our verandah reading, sleeping, looking for flying fish. Never had to fight for a lounger upstairs.

Take some favorite CD's. You'll have a stereo system. Or they will have some you can check out.

Just my input. Ok--I'm getting too into this. LOL!! Our cruise is in 103 days and I just got that excitement in the pit of my stomach. HEEHEE

DG

You have said that your DW & DD aren't into DCL like you. Do you really think that they will notice the room number or if they do, that it is a category one? If they ask, just say that you were upgraded to a 3. They will be happy...and you will still be able to surprise them. That will explain the boarding order & gold card. Hmmm...you may need to pass a note to the CM checking you in to please not make a big deal about the room because it is a surprise?

I would act "dumb". If they question the room number, pretend to be surprised. Say, "must be a mistake" or some such thing. Or even, "Sometimes they have to change staterooms." If you really want to surprise them after lunch, board a little later than the crowd. Go to any check in desk and make eye contact with the CM. If you make the right facial expressions they will pick up on what you're trying to do.

Have a wonderful trip!

lbgraves said:
You have said that your DW & DD aren't into DCL like you. Do you really think that they will notice the room number or if they do, that it is a category one?

They love DCL, but don't worry about the details of planning the trip, they leave that all to me. They will notice the room number change and will be curious, but I don't no how curious. Since we are driving down this time I will hold onto the luggage tags as long as possible

Skuba2 said:
You also get a different colored Key Card with your cabin number prior to boarding. And at boarding you will get to go in the fast line for check in and for boarding.

DG
The card is a different color, but then card designs change all the time so that shouldn't give it away. I am just happy that DCL doesn't put the stateroom number on the card. If my family still thinks we are in a cat 6 by the time we get to the terminal I will pass on the concierge boarding to keep the secret going.

Is there anyway for you convince them that DCL has gone to using E-Docs. I know for our cruise to the Med this spring, NCL sent us E-Docs and we will not get luggage tags until we arrive at the Pier in Barcelona.

I am thinking since DCL has the online check-in now, you could convince them that DCL now emails the Docs and you pick up your luggage tags at the port. Maybe you could hold back the tags until you get to the port.

We drove down and actually didn't put the tags on until we dropped off the luggage. I took the car around to park, so I actually could have gone without seeing them at all. You can check in for your whole family while they watch the cartoons or look around. I think you can pull it off.

kaseyC said:
Is there anyway for you convince them that DCL has gone to using E-Docs. I know for our cruise to the Med this spring, NCL sent us E-Docs and we will not get luggage tags until we arrive at the Pier in Barcelona.

I am thinking since DCL has the online check-in now, you could convince them that DCL now emails the Docs and you pick up your luggage tags at the port. Maybe you could hold back the tags until you get to the port.

That is a great idea. I will be filling out the documents online so I could easily make up some story about the luggage tags so they are not an issue. Thanks.

Jeff

Put them on and if they notice just say " oh it must be a mistake. I'll call DCl when i get a chance." Then later tell them thet they have modified it in their system and they told you to leave the luggage tags as is and they have made the correction internally and they will ensure they are in the correct cabin when you board". This way you should still be able to keep it a suprise.

What a great surprise!!!

You'll love the Roy suite. I would just put them on the last minute and tell them something when you board with the concierge guests. At that point they will know something is up, so not sure if you can keep it quiet til after lunch or not. They might not realize the color of the card means anything. I guess you could wait and arrive a little later, so boarding wouldn't give it away, and then they would not know until you tell them.

Good luck!!
Have a great time. The suite adds so much to the experience.

DisneyDmbNut said:
Won't they know when you check in at the Concierge desk??

No, because I don't plan on using the concierge desk. We usually book a cat 5 or 6 so I want to keep things as normal as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter