I think our family ate bad food.

FoxwithEars

Mouseketeer
Hey all, we are alll having our disney trip at AKL and all of a sudden we are all feeling very ill. Im prerrty sure it was something we ate, im guessing it was at sunshine seasons at Epcot. For lunch we ate at coral reef and then for dinner we all ate at sunshine seasons (everyone ordered the exact same thing, roterisserie chicken, mash potatoes, and fried rice. that was around 7:00 pm. Then we watched illuminations and when we came back to AKL everyone had a stomach problem, went to the bathroom, and had headaches out of nowhere. Do you think it was the food we ate or just bad luck?

i always heard bad things about coral reef. great ambiance but bad food.
As for the rest, chicken, potatoes AND rice, in 90+ heat??? sounds like a bad combination. there's a great movie called the Big Night, and in the very beginning, the one brother gets very upset over people eating 2 starches in one sitting. It's a great life-lesson. Hope you feel better.

Hey all, we are alll having our disney trip at AKL and all of a sudden we are all feeling very ill. Im prerrty sure it was something we ate, im guessing it was at sunshine seasons at Epcot. For lunch we ate at coral reef and then for dinner we all ate at sunshine seasons (everyone ordered the exact same thing, roterisserie chicken, mash potatoes, and fried rice. that was around 7:00 pm. Then we watched illuminations and when we came back to AKL everyone had a stomach problem, went to the bathroom, and had headaches out of nowhere. Do you think it was the food we ate or just bad luck?

Food and I would stop at your front desk and let them know

Not sure, but food poisoning can take a long time to kick in. Even just soap products or sanitizer can make you feel ill immediately too. I would let them know too, just in case it needs to be documented

So many possibilities, and no way to know. Food? Drink? Ice? In the elevator with someone sick? Overheated from a day at WDW? Multiple starches? :) The list can go on and on.

As a Food Safety Trainer in FL, I can tell you that Disney generally does a very good job with training their staff and minimizing risk. However, I can also tell you that most Americans will suffer minor food poisoning symptoms similar to what you describe several times a year. Almost all of which go unreported and could never be accurately traced back to a source if we even tried.

So, as long as you feel better, enjoy your trip!

What have you all eaten in common during the last couple of days? I'm no expert, but, onset of symptoms for Salmonella takes 6-48 hours, staph 1-8 hours, e coli 3-4 days, clostridium 8-24 hours, etc.. Hopefully you'll be ok after a good nights rest. Be sure to stay hydrated. If you're up and about tomorrow take breaks, wear hats and stay hydrated.

I would report it to your desk manager at AKL . make sure you write their name down in case you need that info later

since it is a whole group and not just one person I would suspect food poisoning..soap issues unless all the plates or hands had it would affect one or 2 people in a group

They symptoms you described are also some of the symptoms of dehydration. Headache, diarrhea, sometimes chills - could be the food or just a lack of water especially if you drank alot of caffeine throughout the day. Wouldn't hurt to let the desk know so if others ate the same food and got sick they can track it.

Ate at rainforest, cape may cafe, cosmic rays, ihop, coral reef and sunshine seasons. Well im feeling better perhaps it was dehydration? Thanks guyss!!

Generally food related illnesses take longer than the few hours you described to set in. It could be a change in the drinking water. I know this happens to my family all the time we can't drink the tap water anywhere but home because our tap water is ULTRA-filtered. As a restaurant manager I can confidently say that the food that you ate, wherever it was, has since been used, or disposed of. Your information would only really been useful if someone else has reported the same problem. Otherwise its a useless report to fill out.

Forgive me if I sound dismissive or insensitive...I don't mean to. but I've had to deal with people who take one bite of our food and immediately that it has made them sick :sad2:

... the food that you ate, wherever it was, has since been used, or disposed of. Your information would only really been useful if someone else has reported the same problem. Otherwise its a useless report to fill out.

Of course the food was disposed of by the end of the day. But I think it's good to report, just in case the restaurant CAN look into it and make changes.

The stuff about the report doesn't even make sense. It's only helpful if someone else reports? But if you say that to everyone, then no one is going to report.

The other week DH ate different things than we did at a restaurant, and by the next morning he was *violently* ill, like scary sick, like should I call 911 sick. I started looking around at the symptoms of various types of food poisonings, and just like has been reported her, there are WIDE spans of time for all sorts of "bugs" to make their presence known.

But it seems that managers just want to say that it can't be their food, just like the guy at a pizza place a few years ago who said that food poisoning would start ONE HOUR after eating, and since it took 4, it wasn't his fault, CLICK.

If I were a restaurant manager, I would appreciate the notice that someone felt ill after eating. could help me make sure everything was being done properly, and if I found problems that would help me out next time the inspectors came, and it might well keep a customer. I know darn well that DH isn't going to be going back to the restaurant we ate at a week or so ago, just like we NEVER went back to that pizza place that was so dismissive!

i get sick at Disney a lot, but I don't think it's any particular isolated meal or cause. Rather, it's my diet sabotage where I'm eating inordinate levels of artery-clogging food I wouldn't otherwise be eating back home, coupled with 90 degree weather, early morning, late nights, travel-related stress and alcohol... and it's a recipe for disaster!

But I have a great time. :thumbsup2

I was planning not to respond to this but sometimes things just grab me. First of all, bad food will not make everyone sick that quickly. There is an incubation period. Now it might have been something you ate, but it was ingested quite a bit earlier. OR maybe, since you are a group, you came in contact with a stomach virus someplace along the way.

Blanket condemnation of an eating establishment with no proof is unethical and, just plain bad form. Mean too!

Another thing that is sometimes thought of as a food issue because it has some of the same symptoms is sun poisoning. Heavy exposure to the sun when you are not used to it can cause you to feel quite ill.

The moral of the story is...if you are not sure where it came from (you said "I'm guessing) then please don't accuse, by name, an eating establishment that may be completely innocent. It's just not right.

Twice - our last two visits to Le Cellier I became very ill. 30 minutes after dinner was over and until a couple of hours after I was.....completely empty.

One of our Disney travel buddies is a physician and he said it was something at Le Cellier.

OMG I am soooooo sorry it happened to you. I did not want to ruin our evening at EPCOT - I was afraid I would not be able to make it back to our resort BOTH times. That has never happened anywhere else at WDW or DL for me.

If anyone needs to find the nearest ladies room....just ask the short lady in a knee brace on a decorated scooter. I know them ALL.

Gotta love these boards. Someone posts that they think they ate something that made them sick and they are called "mean" and "unethical". I'm actually surprised there are not more cases from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter