I think I paid for a preferred view but got a standard view

BWVDenise

I believe in something, I just don't know what it
Can someone tell me if rooms 2020 and 2018 (BWV) are PV or SV? I was charged the points for a preferred view, but have a suspicion that I was given a SV last week. What would I do about it now? TIA:o

2 weeks ago I was in room 4008 at BWV and requested standard, but it had a view of Swan and Dolphin and canal, so I do not know if it was S or Preferred view. I may have been upgraded and did not know it. BTW, the front desk said 97% occupancy and that there were NO upgrades, I asked before I checked in.. FYI...
Deerh

we checked in on 6/22 with preferred view points...room 2056. Our view was a tree directly in front of us, blocking any view of anything but the tree. I called and informed the front desk that this was not what I considered to be a preferred view, & they were extremely helpful. Moved to 5056...great view of pool, swan, and canal.

Originally posted by BWVDenise
Can someone tell me if rooms 2020 and 2018 (BWV) are PV or SV? I was charged the points for a preferred view, but have a suspicion that I was given a SV last week. What would I do about it now? TIA:o

I'm not familar enough with all of the BWV room numbers to be certain that 2018/2020 are a particular view. What was the view outside your window?

Standard views have views of the main entrance to the BWV/BWI, the driveway leading up to the entrance, the bus stop area, a small pond or the tennis courts. As you drive up to the resort entrance, these rooms would be on your left. Those are the only standard view rooms. Every other room is considered a preferred view as far as point cost goes.

Some people think that the views of the Swan/Dolphin and canal are standard views. They are actually preferred views. These are the rooms in the section of the resort that are adjacent to the Luna Park area and overlook a maintenance building (that looks somewhat similar to Community Hall). Some of them are across the hall from rooms that have a view of the Boardwalk. If you think of the canal side of BWV in thirds, the first third is the area I'm talking about. The second third is the Luna Park area and the last third is the Community Hall/quiet pool area.

My understanding is that many guests with standard view reservations have been placed in the "1st third" area while the standard view rooms are out of service. Esentially, they have been upgraded. That is perhaps why some are confused about these rooms and think they are standard views. Again, they are not. (I am not suggesting that you are confused, as I do not know exactly where 2018 and 2020 are located).

If you are convinced that you stayed in a standard view while your reservation was for preferred view, I would suggest that you send an email to MS - mark it to the attention of Jackie Leuders, Member Satisfaction Manager.

Good luck and hope someone can either set your mind at ease or that some of your points get refunded.

I'm not all that familiar with the room numbers, but were your rooms on the second floor overlooking the sales center, with the roof of the sales center pretty much blocking any view at all?
If so, when the resort was built, these rooms overlooked the canal, Swan and Dolphin, and were categorized as preferred view. Then, when they closed the sales center at OKW and built a new one at BWV, the new sales center pretty much blocked any view from these rooms. But the category was not changed.
I've always feared getting these rooms when paying pv points. Actually, I did get this section once, but on the 5th floor, so the view was ok.

Originally posted by dvc_john
I'm not all that familiar with the room numbers, but were your rooms on the second floor overlooking the sales center, with the roof of the sales center pretty much blocking any view at all?
If so, when the resort was built, these rooms overlooked the canal, Swan and Dolphin, and were categorized as preferred view. Then, when they closed the sales center at OKW and built a new one at BWV, the new sales center pretty much blocked any view from these rooms. But the category was not changed.

I guess the good news to that is the view should come back when they change the sales center to SS

I can't find your trip report. So, I've got the same question.....what did you see out your window? If you saw the quiet pool, pool or Boardwalk it was Preferred View.

Based on what Pam said, now I do think it was PV. It was an obstructed, partial view of Luna Park. I was confused by another post about which side of the hall the sv was and which side of the hall the pv was on. Thanks for getting me un-confused!;)

The standard views are all in the right hallway after you exit the elevators. Within that hallway, those on the left are standard. If you go to the left hallway as you exit the elevator, those are all preferred, both sides.

We were in rooms 4010 adn 4008 in late May and assumed we had been upgraded from Standard to Preferred due to construction. Our view was the Swan/Dolphin. However, we had one last night where we moved from a 2 bedroom standard to a studio preferred. In order to not have to move, DH and I asked the front desk if we could simply move into the other half of our unit (4008), since we had apparently been upgraded to preferred anyway. The desk person told us we had NOT been upgraded and were in a standard view room. They had to call and arrange it through MS to have us switch and forfeit the three points difference, then they could move us.

If the room had been designated preferred in the computer and at MS, that would not have been necessary. So, bottom line is, at least when we were there, room 4008 was designated standard view. I don't know if it's possible for them to temporarily change the designation in the computer or what, but we wouldn't have had to jump through the hoops to move if it was preferred.

Not to cause an argument, but the whole week we were there we thought it was preferred, but when both the front desk and MS told us it was standard, what are we supposed to think?

We will be staying at BWV, 2 bedroom with a standard view. Does anyone know if this is possible with a ground floor room. We have 2 young children who are GREAT climbers and avoid balconies. Should we change to preferred view?

Yes, there are standard view units on the ground floor. All of those facing the entrance drive are standard view. I even had a ground floor standard view once. This is the area currently being rehabbed tho, and apparently isn't being used right now. Some other thread indicates the rehab should be done by August at the latest.

now I'm confused again. Since we didn't use the elevator (2nd floor), we just made an immediate right at the DVC store. Then we turned left at that area that is like a "court", then another left a ways down. Our room was on the left in that hallway. I had a ressie for my parents for 1 nite for a standard studio, but they were given a one bdrm on the same side of the hallway on the 3rd floor. So I don't know if they were upgraded to a PV, or we were downgraded to a SV. :confused:

If you turned right from the store, then it was preferred view. Unless they changed it, all the standard views are along the front driveway and pond which would be a left turn from the store. If you had a partial luna park view, then it was definitely preferred. With most of the standard views currently closed for renovations, they are moving people around to other parks of the resort, causing some confusion.

According to this map, if you were in those rooms you would be in the brownish section that points towards the river. If you were on the left of the hallway as you walk down the hallway, as you state, then you should have had a Luna Pool view which is preferred.

http://www.mcdanieldesk.com/dvc/bwvmap.jpg

So, you still haven't said, what did you see from your balcony?

Oh, sorry - I must have skipped over where you said obstructed view of pool!!!!

sorry, sorry.....

Why not call the resort, play stupid, and ask what view these rooms are???

Those are definately preferred view. Our standard view rooms that overlooked the entry were 1111 and 1113 (a lock off 2 bedroom) which is pretty much across the hall from where you were. Preferred view makes it sound like you will have the best view anywhere when in reality it is "everything but rooms overlooking the entry." I actually prefer standard to preferred views. You can see the fireworks from that side. To me, that makes them a better view than most preferred rooms. I think they should get rid of the "standard" and "preferred" designation and call the "preferred" views "standard" (since that is what most of the rooms are, you'd think that "standard" would be what the majority of the rooms are) and the current "standard" views "parking lot" views. This way no one can complain that their view is not "standard" enough (though people do sometimes wonder what's so preferred about a view of a pool), and I doubt if you can't see the parking lot very well that you will complain that your "parking lot view" doesn't actually have a great view of the parking lot. It would save a lot of confusion!

Lisa

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter