I think I know the answer to this...

somagical

Earning My Ears
but since we are leaving tomorrow, I thought I'd double check. We are on the Basic Dining Plan (1 TS, 1 CS, and 1 Snack per day). We EACH have to order a meal at TS place and cannot split one, correct? Either way is fine, I'm just not a huge eater and thought I'd check. Thanks for your help!:goodvibes

I'm sure we've shared a meal or two in the past without any problem. DH and I are not big eaters. Its been a couple of years since we used the dining plan so I'm not sure if anything has changed. I think your only problem is that you will have credits left.

You can share a TS meal if it is not a buffet. If you eat at a buffet, all people in your party over the age of 3 will be charged a TS credit. But if you are at a restaurant ordering off of the menu, you will only be charged credits for what you order.

You also can't share a 'refillable' meal, such as the skillet at WCC. Best suggestion? Ask your server.

You can always order fewer meals than people on your plan, you just can't order more. As noted, some restaurants are "admission" based (buffets, dinner shows, AYCE, etc.), and you always have to use a credit or pay.

At general "menu service" places, you can share meals (except for Beaches and Cream, apparently), or even have one or more diners order out-of-pocket.

So, if you didn't want a big meal, you could order an appetizer OOP, maybe take a few bites off your companion's plate, etc., and then save the extra TS credit for another meal.

My husband is the only one in my family who can eat WDW portions without difficulty. While on the dining plan, my daughters and I have shared meals at some restaurants, including:
-The Plaza
-Le Cellier
-Marrakesh
-Coral Reef
-Whispering Canyon (not the skillet)
-Tutto Italia
-Tony's

Often, waiters try to discourage sharing (I suspect, in part, due to the predicted smaller tip). We always tip generously regardless of whether or not we share. Last year, we had free dining in September and my daughter and I decided to share a meal at Tutto Italia (DD came down with either food poisoning or a stomach bug and was out of commission for several days). The manager at TI initially told us that we were not allowed to share meals on the dining plan. I was shocked, but he told me it was their policy during free dining. I'd never heard of that, but I did explain that our daughter had been very ill and wasn't up to eating that much food, yet. He did relent and allowed us to share a meal. At the end of the meal, I made a point of thanking him. This was the only time I have ever encountered such a policy.

We have split many meals at TS, both on and off the DDP. It's never been a problem and it allowed us to save TS credits to go to a few Signature Restaurants.:goodvibes

And of course you can share at CS as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter