• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I think I can. I think I can. Maybe?

Lucky Bug

Can you hear Cri-Kee chirp?
I absolutely suck at keeping a secret from my wife. We have been together many years now and I have only managed to keep a secret from her once. I am trying to do it again, but this one is going to be so tough.

We are headed down to Disney soon and during our stay, we had actually discussed booking her some time at the spa, but she balked because of the price, but that was more than 6 months ago. I had just about talked myself into booking her at SSR's spa. I decided against it today, due to the fact that it would stink for her to spend all day getting relaxed just to turn around and stay out in a park until 2am. So I decided the best thing to do was to wait until the day after we come home from WDW. There is a really nice resort that is fairly close by called Chateau Elan. They have not just the resort, but a winery, several nice restaurants, and a very nice spa. The pricing is similar to what Disney charges, but the amenities are far superior. I have heard personal reports about this spa and they have all been positively glowing. I have also dined there with my coworkers at the holidays once and the food is amazing too.

My wife has only had professional massages a few times since we have been together, but she really loves them. She also likes getting a mani/pedi on occasion. She won't admit to liking a professionally done facial, but she does. ;) So, I booked her for an 80 minute massage, a facial, a mani & pedi both including a paraffin dip, and lunch. This will take about 6 hours to complete from the time she walks in, until the time that she is done. I think she is going to love having this as a surprise gift after walking around Disney for a week.

I am going to take her to breakfast and the cell phone store, her request because she wants the new Droid X, that morning and then drop her off at the resort's spa. She is going to be speechless because this is not anywhere close to her radar. Because of her demanding work schedule, I had to confirm with her that she would be clear all day to do something, so she knows that something is up. She asked me for a hint, I told her that alcohol was involved. :rotfl2: She liked that answer. :woohoo:

I have got all of the details worked out with a very sweet young lady who works at the spa. While this will be far from cheap, I think that my wife is going to appreciate it more than any "thing" that I could buy her in an attempt to spoil the woman that has everything.

I am torn. Should I tell her on our anniversary, while we are at WDW that this will be her gift, or should I just wait until the day of? I am not sure what would be the better way to do it. If I did tell her at Disney, it would most likely be during our dinner at Le Cellier on our anniversary night. If I don't tell her that night, she isn't really expecting anything this year, long story, but really we both understand the situation, so I could technically wait until the day of. Decisions, Decisions.....

So what day would you do it and do you think that I can hold out given my track record? :rotfl:

I absolutely suck at keeping a secret from my wife. We have been together many years now and I have only managed to keep a secret from her once. I am trying to do it again, but this one is going to be so tough.

We are headed down to Disney soon and during our stay, we had actually discussed booking her some time at the spa, but she balked because of the price, but that was more than 6 months ago. I had just about talked myself into booking her at SSR's spa. I decided against it today, due to the fact that it would stink for her to spend all day getting relaxed just to turn around and stay out in a park until 2am. So I decided the best thing to do was to wait until the day after we come home from WDW. There is a really nice resort that is fairly close by called Chateau Elan. They have not just the resort, but a winery, several nice restaurants, and a very nice spa. The pricing is similar to what Disney charges, but the amenities are far superior. I have heard personal reports about this spa and they have all been positively glowing. I have also dined there with my coworkers at the holidays once and the food is amazing too.

My wife has only had professional massages a few times since we have been together, but she really loves them. She also likes getting a mani/pedi on occasion. She won't admit to liking a professionally done facial, but she does. ;) So, I booked her for an 80 minute massage, a facial, a mani & pedi both including a paraffin dip, and lunch. This will take about 6 hours to complete from the time she walks in, until the time that she is done. I think she is going to love having this as a surprise gift after walking around Disney for a week.

I am going to take her to breakfast and the cell phone store, her request because she wants the new Droid X, that morning and then drop her off at the resort's spa. She is going to be speechless because this is not anywhere close to her radar. Because of her demanding work schedule, I had to confirm with her that she would be clear all day to do something, so she knows that something is up. She asked me for a hint, I told her that alcohol was involved. :rotfl2: She liked that answer. :woohoo:

I have got all of the details worked out with a very sweet young lady who works at the spa. While this will be far from cheap, I think that my wife is going to appreciate it more than any "thing" that I could buy her in an attempt to spoil the woman that has everything.

I am torn. Should I tell her on our anniversary, while we are at WDW that this will be her gift, or should I just wait until the day of? I am not sure what would be the better way to do it. If I did tell her at Disney, it would most likely be during our dinner at Le Cellier on our anniversary night. If I don't tell her that night, she isn't really expecting anything this year, long story, but really we both understand the situation, so I could technically wait until the day of. Decisions, Decisions.....

So what day would you do it and do you think that I can hold out given my track record? :rotfl:

What a wonderful treat! For myself I would like to know before hand only because I would want to um :rolleyes1 hmmm, how do I say this?? Shave really well....I also have special undergarments and outfits I wear to a spa.

Good luck keeping the surprise!

I wouldn't tell until the day you drop her off.

That would be such a great surprise and people that work at spas have no doubt "seen it all" so she should be fine as far as the shaving thing goes! :rotfl:

tell her ahead of time. no one wants to go to a spa with unshaved legs :thumbsup2

Not to mention, she may want to wear specific clothes (or bring them with her) and even a book for btw treatments

It is an awesome gift and will not be diminished by knowing about it a few days in advance

Nice job!:yay:

Holy Cow! You are about to win husband of the year award!:thumbsup2
I would tell her the day before so she sould shave some things. Women are weird like that.
Great job on her gift.:cool1:

How about something from the spa, their business card, list of their offerings? - You could print out an itinerary of her special spa day - starting with breakfast and the cell phone store - then go on from there. You could wrap this up and give to her at your Anniversary dinner - which would make the Anniversary extra special knowing she's in a great place now - and will continue the special treatment when she gets home!

I'd love to give you my DH's cell number so you could call and make a few suggestions on how to treat one's wife!

She will LOVE all you've done! Great job!

Wow how can I get my husband to do this for me? As for telling I would love to have this given on my anniversary. I would be so excited and would love to look forward to it as well as well....I do like to make sure I have shaved. I would love something like this.
tigercat

I am starting to lean towards telling her at the resort before our anniversary dinner at Epcot. But I know that if I do, she is going to tell me to cancel it because it costs too much and that sort of thing. I have been saving for something for her for our anniversary, so the money is already there. Until yesterday, I wasn't a 100% positive of what I was using it for, but I will have no problem paying cash for this. However, the last thing that I want to do is to create drama on our anniversary.

If I wait until the last minute, I was planning on packing a little bag for her with a one of her Patricia Cornwell books that she hasn't gotten to yet, her MP3 player, and some comfortable/PJ-like attire to wear under her robe, if she so wishes. For all of you with shaving/hair concerns, let me just tell you that my wife is a bit hair phobic and is always well groomed, so I have no doubt that she will be ready for this on the day of, just because of how she is everyday.

I have told the girls here at work of my plans and they all think that I am either nuts for spending that much cash or else, like many of you, they want me to teach their husbands how to behave. :lmao: However, everyone who has gone to Chateau Elan's spa has said that it is a wonderful experience and that she should love this gift.

I hate being indecisive.

I think you should keep it a secret Lucky Bug. Since you know she'll be "prepared" on a personal level for spa treatments, then making it a true surprise is best.

I would be like your DW and insist that it's too expensive if told up front, but would LOVE it and gladly participate if I found out that same day!

I just checked out their website and it looks like an amazing place. You should have plenty to keep yourself busy while she's getting pampered. You've made an excellent choice for your anniversary gift!

You are a very smart man and your wife is a very lucky woman. :) :) I would wait and surprise her, do as you said and pack her a bag with a book, some comfy clothes (I love my yoga pants and a comfy tank top) and her mp3 player, I think that's a GREAT idea. Whatever you do don't cancel, even if she tells you to just don't, she will love it and she will appreciate it very much. :)

Tell her the night before. It will make coming home from Disney less painful and you can tell her that if you cancel within 24 hours you can't get your money back. Takes that argument right out the window.

This is my idea of the perfect gift :)

For all of you with shaving/hair concerns, let me just tell you that my wife is a bit hair phobic and is always well groomed, so I have no doubt that she will be ready for this on the day of, just because of how she is everyday.

If she is hair phobic though and isn't as groomed as she'd like to be, she'll feel self conscious the whole time.

I am the type of wife who won't let DH buy anything for me. If he does, I make him return it. I'm a SAHM and don't like to feel accountable for a financial burden. I like what a pp said about telling her the day before so she cannot cancel it. Or tell her you got a bargain. That would make me feel better :lmao: Or I would argue the point until I had DH remove at least one service. I'd feel like it was a compromise. :confused3

I am starting to lean towards telling her at the resort before our anniversary dinner at Epcot. But I know that if I do, she is going to tell me to cancel it because it costs too much and that sort of thing. I have been saving for something for her for our anniversary, so the money is already there. Until yesterday, I wasn't a 100% positive of what I was using it for, but I will have no problem paying cash for this. However, the last thing that I want to do is to create drama on our anniversary.

If I wait until the last minute, I was planning on packing a little bag for her with a one of her Patricia Cornwell books that she hasn't gotten to yet, her MP3 player, and some comfortable/PJ-like attire to wear under her robe, if she so wishes. For all of you with shaving/hair concerns, let me just tell you that my wife is a bit hair phobic and is always well groomed, so I have no doubt that she will be ready for this on the day of, just because of how she is everyday.

I have told the girls here at work of my plans and they all think that I am either nuts for spending that much cash or else, like many of you, they want me to teach their husbands how to behave. :lmao: However, everyone who has gone to Chateau Elan's spa has said that it is a wonderful experience and that she should love this gift.

I hate being indecisive.

How awesome -- what a gift! Tell her it's paid for and non refundable -- if she doesn't go, you will! :rotfl:

Then give her the goodie bag the day of as a surprise.

I am back now to trying to hold out until the day of, due to popular demand. :thumbsup2

I am putting together a pretty itinerary for her and I think I have about nailed down the perfect background. I was able to snag their spa logo off of the website. I am going to use a pretty frilly script for the writing and I was thinking of saying something like....

Your next stop will be at (insert logo here)

Below that it would say....

After we get you checked into the spa, you will have five occasions to be spoiled.

You will start of your steal away day at XX:XX where you will be given a Chateau Antioxidant Winery Facial.

Afterwards, at XX:XX, you will be given an 80 minute Chateau Ultimate Spa Massage.

At XX:XX, you will break for lunch, you can pick whatever you wish to eat and drink, alcohol included.

After you enjoy a wonderful meal, at XX:XX, you will receive a Cabernet Hot Stone Manicure with a Paraffin Dip.

Your awesome Manicure will be followed at XX:XX by a Cabernet Hot Stone Pedicure with a Paraffin Dip.

Afternoon tea is served in the dining room between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm.

If you wish, you are welcome to use the whirlpool jaccuzi, the sauna - steam room, and/or the indoor resistance pool.

I will pick you up whenever you are done. Please take your time and relax. I can be there to get you in about 45 minutes.

Happy "Steal Away" Anniversary!​

I haven't made a point to tell her that it's our "Steel" Anniversary yet, but the only way that I could think of giving the woman steel was to cheat a little and make it into the "Steal Away" Anniversary. ;)

Do you think this will be good?

I am back now to trying to hold out until the day of, due to popular demand. :thumbsup2

I am putting together a pretty itinerary for her and I think I have about nailed down the perfect background. I was able to snag their spa logo off of the website. I am going to use a pretty frilly script for the writing and I was thinking of saying something like....

Your next stop will be at (insert logo here)

Below that it would say....

After we get you checked into the spa, you will have five occasions to be spoiled.

You will start of your steal away day at XX:XX where you will be given a Chateau Antioxidant Winery Facial.

Afterwards, at XX:XX, you will be given an 80 minute Chateau Ultimate Spa Massage.

At XX:XX, you will break for lunch, you can pick whatever you wish to eat and drink, alcohol included.

After you enjoy a wonderful meal, at XX:XX, you will receive a Cabernet Hot Stone Manicure with a Paraffin Dip.

Your awesome Manicure will be followed at XX:XX by a Cabernet Hot Stone Pedicure with a Paraffin Dip.

Afternoon tea is served in the dining room between 4:00 pm and 5:30 pm.

If you wish, you are welcome to use the whirlpool jaccuzi, the sauna - steam room, and/or the indoor resistance pool.

I will pick you up whenever you are done. Please take your time and relax. I can be there to get you in about 45 minutes.

Happy "Steal Away" Anniversary!​

I haven't made a point to tell her that it's our "Steel" Anniversary yet, but the only way that I could think of giving the woman steel was to cheat a little and make it into the "Steal Away" Anniversary. ;)

Do you think this will be good?

Love this! I now agree, since you have made it clear that your wife is always well groomed, and you plan to pack her some comfy clothes, you should DEFINITELY try to hold out!! Very exciting!

Definitely keep it a secret!!! :goodvibes If she is like me- she would make you cancel it ahead of time if she knew the price. And even when you get there, you can tell her you guys are just going to the brunch they serve. Don't tell her until you get to the spa literally! (I live near there too! That was when she sees the general area you are driving to- like the huge houses, golf courses and big, massive gates- you can still pull it off as a huge surprise!! :cool1:)

Let's just hope that I can. :rolleyes1 Um, she already asked me last night if we are going to Chateau Elan for a wine tasting. :scared1:

Due to a little Disney germ that made my wife miserable for a couple of days at the end of our trip, I decided that I had best go ahead and tell her about the surprise Saturday night. I took the advice about personal hair hygene that was given here into account and decided that since she was out of it for a couple of days, that it would be wise to give her a heads up and a little something to look forward to also. She was thrilled by the news. We arrived home really late last night/this morning. We were up early and on our way to Verizon & Breakfast and then on up the road to the spa.

She was pretty nervous because she has never gone to a real formal facility before and had no idea what to expect, but while this spa is high end, thankfully, the people that work there are very welcoming and down to earth. She enjoyed every part of her "steal away" day. She is still just beaming and keeps thanking me for this gift. I don't care that it cost me a small fortune, it was worth every penny just to see that big happy smile when she came up stairs to the lobby. She looked several years younger and smelled amazing.

To any of you ladies that would love to have this done for you. Just tell your spouse/partner/hubby to read this thread, because anyone out there who really cares about the happiness and well being of the one that they love would do this in a heartbeat, if they had the money because the reward is worth it. I can't tell you how nice it is to see all of the stress of the past few months wiped completely away from her soul. I swear, this one 7 hour stay at the spa melted away so many years of stress for her.

While I busted myself a couple of days earlier than expected, I am very pleased with the overall effort to keep the surprise and so was she. I will be doing this for her again, I just need to start saving now. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter