• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I think I bought too many points......

cuzinvin

Earning My Ears
I finally took my family to WDW last Oct. I have 3 kids, 12, 7, 6. We stayed at the Port Orleans, because it was the only one that could accomodate the 5th person. Anyway we did the tour of Sarasota Springs, and because of the the ammenities we bought 275 points, thinking we needed to use the 3 bedroom suites. Anyway, the reason for this thread is that I am considering renting some points, are there any adavantages or disadvantages.
Please advise, thank you, this site is sooooo helpful.......... :grouphug:

You can also transfer current UY points to other DVC members...from what I've heard this is generally less time consuming and safer. Renting is a great option as well...I just complete a rental with some one with my extra points. I drew up a contract and signed off and they did as well. Price per point and payment schedule would be determined by you. The down side to renting is that you have to do the leg work..checking availabilty, booking, mailing confirmations. Also you are open to some one not paying. But always remember you are always in cotrol of your points in a rental situation.
If there current UY points try a transfer...
Brownie

Basic fact of DVC life: There is NO SUCH THING as too many points!

If you doubt that, do a search for "addonitis."

you are all correct. You can never have enough points. I have 340 at BWV and I want more! Someday,someway.

Had 220 at OKW then added on another 150 at BCV and the 150 at SSR- also thought the original 220 might be too many - we have stayed in GV twice and have taken multiple trips per year other years- rented out points to pay for a cruise and DL passes and part of my maintenance fees this past year and now have finally reached a point where for the trips in Sept and Dec this year I will have to borrow from 2007 to get the 11 month option. Have never borrowed that far ahead before and it is making me nervous - what if SW has a really good sale and I want a short trip in between now and then? Oh that's right the third contract is still intact with all 150 points coming April 1 for 2006. Nope can't have too many points. To your original question renting points can be very easy or somewhat of a pain - Stick to rentals that are at least a couple of months out so that you can cancel without penalty if the renter doesn't pay on your time schedule. I have always said I will make the reservation , send the written confirmation to them and give them a date when payment in full is expected, usually within 2-4 weeks of them getting the confirmation. This has worked well for me but I know that some people will spread out the payments over several months - I just like to get the transaction done and then I don't think about it again- I do state what I will do if they have to make a change such as try to change dates or if they find someone else to take the reservation I will call and make the name changes but once the deal is done I consider it final. If you spell these things out it should make everyone fell more secure in renting or being a renter. I have never had more than e-mails back and forth or phone conversations, never any written and signed contract but some people do use them. I have also rented points to people at work which is even better than dealing with someone you don't know. I don't expect to be renting out any more for a while - will just be using them at WDW myself with family. Good luck and may your family have many great vacations using those points.

We bought last September and only got 160 at SSR. We live close by so we have made and plan to make several trips. We have managed so far but I think we need more points. So far we have gone:

2 nights 9/05
3 nights 12/05
5 nights 1 & 2/06

We have 4 small children so we have only reserved 1 bedroom suites so far. As the kids grow I imagine we will need to get teh larger rooms.
I need more points.

Just bought & already I agree w/ "there is no such thing as too many points"! If you start looking through the point charts for all areas, you'll find that many locations require a bit more points. Besides, you are now open to a 3 br for a shorter period, or many little trips--the possibilities are endless. You of course could always transfer or rent...

We bought 200 & are already looking into picking up another resale!

You could also just rent to friends and family.

We too would like more points eventually. When we bought our 150 BCV pts it was only the 2 of us and we could travel during Adventure Season and stay in studio. Now with our DS2 we've moved up to 1BRs and probably couldn't go back to a studio. :rotfl:

Well, when we have more kids and our DS2 is older we will have to travel according to his school calendar. YIKES! Those are some BIG points!!

Guess we'll be shopping around when our BCV is paid off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter