• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I think I blew it!!

zacem'smom

Mouseketeer
I have been planning our surprise Christmas trip since January. Now with a month to go i think i blew it!! We received all our paperwork in the mail the other day. I knew it would be here soon so I kept checking the mail before the bus came so they wouldn't get it. I got it and then made the big mistake!! I left it lay on the top of the computer desk!! Of course my DS decides to put his hat and mittens right on top of it. So as I'm doing the dishes he says why is there Disney information on the desk? I told him it was last years info and I found it behind the desk. But he gave me that look like yeah right, and asked why it had Dec of 08 on it. Just my luck!! So i just changed the subject! Let's hope it works!!

Ah man! I'm so sorry! Hopefully he won't bring it up anymore and let it go.

I'm planning on surprising mine too, but we don't go until August! That is a loooong time to keep a secret!

Quick make up a lie!! Maybe sit him down and say that you WERE planning a trip but with fuel prices, economy etc. you had to cancel?? :confused3

Were surprising our kids at Christmas, as well, but our trip isn't until Feb. so Jan is going to be a long month. How are you going to tell your kids?

Oh, that stinks! Hopefully he bought it.. but I think it's amazing you've been able to keep the secret this long! I could never do that :)

Believe me it has been the hardeset secret iv'e ever had to keep. I think I covered my tracks pretty good. Its probably in the back of his head that maybe we are going but he's not sure. We are not going to tell them till we get them up to go to the airport. We have to leave the house by 5:30 so it should be an interesting morning!

if the subject comes up again, you could always mention a lame excuse like an outstanding bill, or since you went last year, they are trying to promote going again. ?:confused3

I don't think he will say anything else. I told him that when we planned our first trip last year that we couldn't make up our mind as to what year we wanted to go. That at first we had chosen this year Dec. instead of last year Oct. And that we just couldn't wait so we chose last year instead of waiting. So the papers he found were old papers. I think it worked. Boy what you won't do to put a smile on your childrens faces!!

Believe me it has been the hardeset secret iv'e ever had to keep. I think I covered my tracks pretty good. Its probably in the back of his head that maybe we are going but he's not sure. We are not going to tell them till we get them up to go to the airport. We have to leave the house by 5:30 so it should be an interesting morning!

We just did the same thing last week. It's amazing how they can go from grumpy and grouchy to ecstatic in less than 2 minutes flat. Woke them up at 6AM on 11/4 (Tuesday) and by 6:02 (I have pictures to prove it) they were all smiles getting ready to go. Just shrug the mail thing off as if it was nothing....

Quick make up a lie!! Maybe sit him down and say that you WERE planning a trip but with fuel prices, economy etc. you had to cancel?? :confused3

I don't think a month of disappointment that the kids would feel would make up for the surprise factor.

The beginning of this year we planned a trip and then tax time came around. We didn't have the money we thought we would have. We put off the trip until we could come up with the money. It wasn't until my sons' saw the tickets that they could get excited about the trip.

Personally I don't think it's worth it unless you are some sort cruel person.pirate: :)

If they found out would it make the trip be any less special?

We are going in July of 2009, but have told the kids we are skipping this year, and that we are going to go deep woods camping for two weeks instead.

(We went deep woods camping last year for a week, and then disney for a week, this year we are doing Disney for 2 weeks, and camping for two week).

We arn't even going to tell them until we arrive there (driving).

We are going to drive down to South Carolina and check into a hotel for a "business trip". Then the next morning, i will "get a call" saying the meeting has been cancled, so we will head back "home".

This will cover the LONG drive and the kids won't be paying much attention to their surroundings and won't notice that we are still heading south..

The only problem is getting across the border, letting the guard know we aer going to disney, and that its a surprise for the kids and not spilling the beans..

If he asks again, just tell him Disney sent you some papers because they are trying to get you to come back.

Our trip is a surprise too, we leave on Wednesday, and we've kept it a secret for over a year!

I love the fact you keep it a secret. What a special surprise! I am sure you didn't blow it. How old is your son?

I trip to Disney is fun whether it is a suprise or not. If you don't mention it again, he will be wondering the whole time if it really was last years papers or not. So when you finally go or decide to tell him, he will be happy and suprised still.

I feel tiyr last pain! Last year I planned a surprise December trip, as I picked up my daughter from daycare.Ohers were talking about the incoming snow storm, my daughter was upset about it and the teacher blurted out that she will miss the storm because she would be in Florida! My daughter's face lit up as she asked me," mommy is tomorrow the day we go to disney world?" I planned the trip for 8 months! I managed to keep under wraps, but 6 shy of leaving the plan was blown!

I know no matter if they knew or not it is going to be a fun vacation. I just want to see the shock on their faces!! Last time we went he said how neat it would be to wake up in the morning and just go to Disney. So actually he gave me the idea of the surprise for the two of them. And with only three weeks to go I would have hated to ruin it. Does anyone have any surprise trip stories?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter