• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I think FW may be losing me

While I see lots of responses like "The Fort wins hands down..." or "I'll go because it feels like home..", everyone on this board has a point at which it is too much. There was a thread a few months back that was based on the question of How much is too much and most folks were in the $100 range. It's hard to put a specific $$ value on it because you have to see what the other options are and then make the choice. I would say a 10% premium to stay at FtW is my limit. However, in the spirit of full disclosure I live in Orlando so I either camp at FtW or stay at home.

Waking up in the morning, sitting outside sipping a cup of coffee listening to the birds chirp, waving to the people going by walking their dogs. Later in the day when we're done with the parks the kids can take off on their bikes or meet up with other kids playing on the loop much like when we were kids playing in our neighborhoods. You can't buy that at the other resorts.

This is why I stay at the fort!!!:lovestruc

Though we've yet to stay (until next week!) at the Fort, our math comes up the similarly. We have 4 kids (2 boys, 2 girls) so we'd either need two rooms, a suite (essentially 2 hotel rooms price-wise), or a superduperexpialidocious villa at $1000/night because Disney doesn't seem to believe a family would ever be more that 4 people (look at their standard 'specials'). We love the Resorts but also love camping so we're hoping this trip will prove to be more than the sum-of-its-parts and still economical.

... except that pulling a TT 1000mi south with a V10 gasser will net ~7mi/gal = $1050@(2100mi@$3.50/gal, I'm hoping I'm wrong :confused: ) However, it looks like we'll spend about $1500 for a week (including transportation) on a Premium site and can cook (mostly) for ourselves so it may still be economical.

Agreed, larger family price comparisons can come out quite different. For the moment we're still a family of 4 so we can go anywhere within WDW resorts with great flexibility.

That whole gas-math thing you did is exactly what led us to fly to MCO (I did have one free flight with miles) with all our tent gear for a stay at FW when gas was up really high the last time. I shipped down and back our window A/C and some extra gear and we still made out ahead of driving and paying for hotels along the way.

When you consider everything that the Fort has to offer, it really is hard to beat it (during off season) During their SEASON however, the prices really are kinda hard to choke down.
My problem is, the Fort really does fill like home to me. A few weeks ago we spent a week off property , it was okay andFthe price we paid was good,,then we went to the Fort for a week, it felt like we finally came home, the whole feel was just perfect and all was ell again. (but the price stunk)

But in my long winded conclusion, yes, I do feel Disney has out priced themselves.

I guess I'll just havta eat the price if I want that awesome feeling.

Frank is right. FW is home for me when camping. I may not go as often, but when I go it has to be FW to feel right. We are going to Orlando in March for a trade show. I was going to stay at FW, but we decided to stay at Turkey Lake as it is closer to the expo center and the 5 nights there equal 1 at FW. It won't be the same, but most of our days will not be doing a Disney thing although nights we will (AP). Still it is sad that we won't be there. On a happy note we will be going back in May for vacation. The prices have gotten really high so for us we will take less trips, but still go when we can. FW will always feel like home and not just a place to park the RV.

I do agree that paying $100+ per night for a campsite is high. But there is no end to paying campers, it is harder than ever to get a site at Disney. As long as people are willing to decide to pay $100+ hundreds of days in advance, Disney will keep raising the prices. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney starts converting campsites to DVC.

Where is the fort love?:lovestruc

Every year when the new prices come up, I say HOLY COW! But then we go to another campground and know why we are willing to pay those prices. There is just no other place that compares, those of you who are fort regulars understand, those of you new to the fort will understand soon enough. It's like a disease!:goodvibes

We have our 3rd ever FW Trip booked for 3/11-3/20 next month- out of curiosity I checked on the room rates for the same time period. It looks like with the current FL resident specials I could save a little bit by going to a value or spend a little bit and get a moderate- but to be honest I don't really want to. Over the years we've stayed at pretty much every value, every moderate, and most of the delux resorts- and while they are realy great and we had fun times at them all- eh- it's not like the Fort. Out first fort trip was a cabin and it was okay- second fort trip was camping and it was awesome- the kids never raved about anything like that ever- and all of us can't wait to get back there.

Not to mention- this is our longest stay at Disney ever- I don't think we could even do 9 nights in a hotel with two young kids without loosing it at some point. :rolleyes1

For reference:

Value = $82 + Tax/Fees
Moderate = $149 + Tax/Fees
Premium Site I have booked = $127 Including Tax/Fees

I understand the frustration with the rising prices at The Fort. However, one big advantage of staying at The Fort, because it's just great, is that you never have to eat out. That can really add up. So if you add the cost of eating out everyday onto the cost of the room, I would bet that The Fort is still a better deal. Since we aren't paying for maid service, linens, etc. it would be nice to get free internet service.

I understand the frustration with the rising prices at The Fort. However, one big advantage of staying at The Fort, because it's just great, is that you never have to eat out. That can really add up. So if you add the cost of eating out everyday onto the cost of the room, I would bet that The Fort is still a better deal. Since we aren't paying for maid service, linens, etc. it would be nice to get free internet service.

Free and Disney are 2 words that can't be used in th same sentence...lol.

The real factor with us is just the fact we can cook onsite and ride our bikes... I don't think we could park our 5 bikes and bike trailer outside our hotel room door. We have 6 people now in our family since my oldest moved out, and the most people you can have in a room is 5 at Port Orleans Riverside, which still won't work for us since we have 6 people! If we had 4 peeps in our family it might be different but we have made the Fort our Disney home, as the kids put it. I just always fear each trip will be our last... but I look at it we have been lucky to spend over a month of our lives at the Fort in the last 6 years.

MB in NC

For my family it is all about the Fort, we do not go for the parks or the food, we go for the atmosphere at FW. We are not renewing our APs this year but we will still be at the Fort, just being there is.....like home but so much better.

For me, no matter what the price difference the Values just don't appeal to me. Plus I'd have to factor in the added cost of food. This time we're making it a more "budget" trip and we're staying in a partial hookup site because I couldn't justify the cost of full-hookup, etc.... - plus I got the AAA discount on the partial. We aren't "off-site people" so hotel or campground offsite doesn't appeal to either. Everybody camps at FW for different reasons - ambiance, amenities, woodsy feel, nice neighbors, ability to cook own meals, sleep in your own bed, bring your pets..... For our family it's still cost effective even during the highest priced season - I couldn't stay 10 nights in a value including the cost of food for the price I pay at FW - plus my DH loves the golf cart looping :thumbsup2

Partial sites are not that expensive, off season is in the $40s range per night. I've seen Class As in them before but it may have been an overflow type thing.

I know popups and popouts (hybrids-depending on length) are allowed there along with class Bs, camper vans, teardrops, t@bs, tents, truck campers, etc.

I'm in the "feels like home" club. I would rather stay there than anywhere else and would rather limit my trips to a few times a years than go more often and stay somewhere else.

To be fair though, I never felt that strongly about it until we rented the golf cart. To us, it made all the difference in the world.

Sure, I don't like paying a lot of money to stay anywhere, but when I go to Disney I want to go all in. We have discovered camping (and camping at FW in particular) and love it. If I'm going to pay to go to Disney, I want to have the best time possible, and right now that is staying at the Fort. Personally I don't want to go to Disney and not get the experience I want, regardless of price. After all, it's Disney!

Partial sites are not that expensive, off season is in the $40s range per night. I've seen Class As in them before but it may have been an overflow type thing.

I know popups and popouts (hybrids-depending on length) are allowed there along with class Bs, camper vans, teardrops, t@bs, tents, truck campers, etc.

I'm in the "feels like home" club. I would rather stay there than anywhere else and would rather limit my trips to a few times a years than go more often and stay somewhere else.

To be fair though, I never felt that strongly about it until we rented the golf cart. To us, it made all the difference in the world.

BTW, totally agree about the cart. Made a HUGE difference to us.

I don't think FW is losing me, Disney is. I love FW. I will not do Disney without staying at FW. I find no value in sleeping in a bed that someone else did, value resort or not. Hopefully I do not offend anyone with this statement.

With that said, we use to do annual trips to FW and Disney. Our last trip was March 2009 and we will be back in Nov 2011. However, after this trip I don't see us going again for at least 4 years. Now that we are paying $100+/night I am looking at my other options. I looked into one trip and I think it was $120 for a premium site. I may be wrong about this, but I thought that was it.

March 2009 was the 1st time we left without a reservation on the books. We usually split our time with the parks 50/50, but only because of the kids. I like FW but it is getting harder to justify.

When you consider everything that the Fort has to offer, it really is hard to beat it (during off season) During their SEASON however, the prices really are kinda hard to choke down.
My problem is, the Fort really does fill like home to me. A few weeks ago we spent a week off property , it was okay andFthe price we paid was good,,then we went to the Fort for a week, it felt like we finally came home, the whole feel was just perfect and all was ell again. (but the price stunk)

But in my long winded conclusion, yes, I do feel Disney has out priced themselves.

I guess I'll just havta eat the price if I want that awesome feeling.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
Can't wait to go "home" in June.

We have been to DW twice with one time camping at FW. Would love to go back but wife and I are both teachers so can only go at the more expensive times of the year. When we camped there last time we spent 4 nights in FW and 4 in a campground offsite. Kind of gave us the best of both worlds in that we saved money by staying offsite but still got the FW experience. We added extra days to the tickets when we made reservations and had a great experience. If money is no object FW is hands down the best campground I've ever been to and would love to have an extended stay. However, for us it makes sense to spend a few nights at FW for the experience and convenience and a few nights offsite so we can extend the length of stay.

The Fort hasn't lost us yet. We will be there in November for a week. If my granddaughter in South Carolina wasn't graduating in May we would be at the Fort then too.

For us it is the atmosphere and being able to bring the chihuahuas with us. They love it. We also don't spend much time in the parks, we do play a mean game of miniature golf though.

Cherie

Sadly, The Fort has lost us. After many years/trips we have had our last camping trip at WDW. This is not to say that we will no longer visit WDW, but those visits will be as DVC members. We brought our fifth wheel and golf cart home in November after storing it in FL for several years, and plan to sell it in the spring.

The Fort will always hold special memories for us, but after watching the decline of Disney standards for many years now, we are just choosing to spend our money elsewhere. The Fort is no longer the value it once was ...... at least for our family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter