I there a dress code for the water parks? Should there be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think OP is calling for an unusually covered dress code, either. And in fact, WDW DOES have a dress code, and thongs are listed as not allowed, which it sounds like is SOMETIMES enforced at the water parks. We haven't done the water parks yet, though we intend to in May. I certainly wouldn't say anything to someone wearing a skimpier than average bikini (though I wouldn't do it myself, got WAY too much to fit into it, and not willing to expose that, plus VERY fair skinned so need the sun protection, LOL). IF I saw folks literally exposing themselves, then yes, I would comment. I understand that many other cultures do not mind nudity, and if I was in UK or France, etc. I am sure I would not say a word, but let's face it, we AREN'T. We are in the US, and the US does say public nudity is illegal. I don't think it has anything to do with limiting anyone, but if you(general) are coming to this country, expect to follow the laws, etc in place. And when/if I am in those other countries, I will give the same amount of respect to the laws/cultures there.

You also won't find much nudity in London, but the only point I was making was that from my experience of the States, it had never occured to me that Americans felt different about swimwear to how we feel over here. And that from the nudity (violence wasn't mentioned or inferred) we see on popular American shows it never comes across to us that it's something that is an issue in the States.

I also said that I have bought more covering swimwear for Disney holidays.

So please don't think I'm trying to be disrespectful. Wherever we go we make sure to act in a culturally respectable way.

I'm giving you my honest opinion.

I did not say that you may be disrespectful, I was talking in general.

As for violence, you mentioned True Blood and this is a pretty violent show, besides all the sex.

I can also add that getting idea of what people might be based on tv shows will only lead to stereotypes, nothing else. You know, always dancing and singing India, always shooting Russia and always "in bed" France.

... but it's disconcerting to see how many people are getting up in arms because someone may happen to favor modesty.

The problem is not that you wish to dress "modestly" -- you are quite welcome to do so. The problem is that you want to enforce your personal ideals of "Modesty" on others, regardless of how they themselves feel. Yet, somehow, I think you would not be willing to give away your freedom to choose how you dress if someone were to come along and insist you wear a "burkini" in order to be modest (see here for an example)

Or for that matter, there are plenty of good Christian people who don't think any swimsuit is modest in mixed company, so maybe we should segregate the water parks by gender? Or women only on Mon, Wed, Fri and men only on Tue, Thur, Sat and no-one, of course, on Sun? (Actual rules at a public pool where I lived as a child -- I never got to go to the pool because girls weren't allowed on Sat.)

Face it, you don't have a monopoly on modesty. I happen to feel modesty resides more in how you act than how you dress and your holier-than-thou efforts to impose your personal standards on people who come from around the world to Disney does not strike me as modest at all!

I did not say that you may be disrespectful, I was talking in general.

As for violence, you mentioned True Blood and this is a pretty violent show, besides all the sex.

I can also add that getting idea of what people might be based on tv shows will only lead to stereotypes, nothing else. You know, always dancing and singing India, always shooting Russia and always "in bed" France.
I merely meant that if people are happy to watch tv shows with nudity in it's suprising that swimwear choice can cause such a big debate.

Not that you're all sex addicts and vampires.

I merely meant that if people are happy to watch tv shows with nudity in it's suprising that swimwear choice can cause such a big debate.

Not that you're all sex addicts and vampires.

But they do not show nudity on TV, regular tv at least. If scene is somehow essential they simlpy blur naked parts. If scene is not that imortant, they simply cut it. This blur thing is sometimes simply ridiculous. If you saw "Heartbreakers" you remember naked statue, right? They show it on tv with a digital leaf over his private part, crazy.
Also do not forget that many movies had 2 versions, europian and US. Yours is more juicy but we never saw it.

Actually the more I think about it I would be ok with a strict dress code. See I am abnormally good looking. Like a Greek god. So whenever I go to a water park I typically give 5-6 people heart attacks from just how amazing I am. Last time I was at Blizzard Beach a lady stopped me in line and “just had to sketch me.” It just gets old.

For the men it is even worse. They look like little babies next to me. It kills their confidence and they literally hand their wives over. I’m only one man and sometimes I just want to relax.

So funny what a simple booty-cheek can do to Americans.

For some, a dress code is a slippery slope toward fascist repression. For others, the sight of a thong will lead to their precious babies being exposed to kinky public sex in a few years.

Let's take a poll of our closest friends and people who agree with us!!!
:grouphug:

So funny what a simple booty-cheek can do to Americans.

For some, a dress code is a slippery slope toward fascist repression. For others, the sight of a thong will lead to their precious babies being exposed to kinky public sex in a few years.

Let's take a poll of our closest friends and people who agree with us!!!
:grouphug:

Yup, those crazy Americans are going nuts about butt-cheeks in this thread...:sad2:

I just hope all the pro-thongers realize not everyone wearing them looks like the stereotypical Brazilian/European I bet so many of you are picturing. Some could look like an average American, I think some people would be changing their tune then :lmao:

I just hope all the pro-thongers realize not everyone wearing them looks like the stereotypical Brazilian/European I bet so many of you are picturing. Some could look like an average American, I think some people would be changing their tune then :lmao:
I don't think anyone labeled themselves "pro thong" but rather we were labeling ourselves as persons who don't judge others and their standards of dress when it doesn't conform to our own standard as long as the other person's swim attire it is within the stated rules of the establishment and the local laws then everyone else should butt out and quit telling other people how to dress.

I don't think anyone labeled themselves "pro thong" but rather we were labeling ourselves as persons who don't judge others and their standards of dress when it doesn't conform to our own standard as long as the other person's swim attire it is within the stated rules of the establishment and the local laws then everyone else should butt out and quit telling other people how to dress.

It's not against the 'rules of the establishment' to make out with one's boyfriend or girlfriend with their tongues down eachother's throat either, but who wants to see that? Maybe you. Not me. Point being, let other people have an opinion that is different from yours. OP didn't say she was going to raise hell over it - she just doesn't like it. Jeez.

As strange as it may seen, many of us who don't really care about thongs, don't have to picture anyone in them. We've actually seen average Americans in thongs. Gasp! And while it's not necessarily attractive, it's no big deal, either.

We aren't pro-thong (what a stupid phrase). We just don't get all freaked out if we or our kids see someone rear end.

It's not against the 'rules of the establishment' to make out with one's boyfriend or girlfriend with their tongues down eachother's throat either, but who wants to see that? Maybe you. Not me. Point being, let other people have an opinion that is different from yours. OP didn't say she was going to raise hell over it - she just doesn't like it. Jeez.

Using logic with irrational people is like trying to put out a fire with gasoline: you waste your time, the fire gets bigger, and most likely you will get burned.

I just got a new bathing suit for our upcoming trip that is more useful for swimming and having fun at the water parks. This got me wondering if Disney has dress code for the water parks.

DH and I went there in September and I was suprised at what some were wearing. I'm not a big swimmer and only have bathing suits for sunning and the 2 piece that I wore on that trip was not suitable for some of the rides but it had a lot more fabric than many suits I saw. Please dont' think of me as prudish and I'm sure he's probable seen it all anyway, but I'm a little uncomfortable taking my DS13 with us to the water parks. He doesn't need to be in line behind a lady in a thong suit, which I saw many of on our last trip.

This may be a controversial topic, but would there be anyway for Disney to enforce a dress code if they had one?

Disney World Guest Appearance Guidelines

Disney World reserves the right to exclude visitors to their gated attractions who wear clothing that could create a distraction. This policy is in effect at the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney MGM Studios, Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island and Disney Quest.

Examples of unacceptable attire includes:

* Clothing displaying offensive messages/language
* Adult costumes or clothing that can be viewed as a costume (children under age 10 are excluded)
* Clothing made with offensive material, (ie transparent)
* Clothing that is excessively torn
* Clothing which exposes inappropriate portions of the body such as string bikini tops, G-strings, bikini bottoms, etc.
* Guests wearing wedding attire are discouraged from entering the Theme Parks.

All Disney Theme Park guests are required to wear shirts and shoes at all times. Swimsuit tops are allowed when worn with other appropriate clothing.

Disney's Pleasure Island, Disney Quest, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon have other criteria in place which may vary from the general appearance guidelines. Depending on the venue and event, variations may be acceptable.

Sorry I guess I didn't finish reading all the way through to where it said that the water parks may differ.

This is actually from the Blizzard Beach site:

What to Wear

* Proper dress is required at Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park.
* Swim attire with rivets, buckles or exposed metal is not permitted on the water attractions.
* Wetsuits are not permitted on body slides.
* One-piece swimsuits are recommended on the more thrilling waterslides, like the Summit Plummet attraction.
* Wearing water shoes is a good idea when visiting Disney Water Parks; the ground can get hot and so will your feet!
* Wearing sunscreen is strongly advised.
* Sunscreen, swimwear, beachwear, towels, gifts and other sundries are available for purchase at these locations:
o Beach Haus, to the left of the Park entrance
o Snowless Joe's, to the right of the Park entrance
o Sunglasses Hut, near the Cooling Hut snack stand

OP - Your question of is there a dress code - yes. As for if they can enforce it - yes.

You've already seen what it is like at a Disney WaterPark and if you don't want to take your child there, that is your choice. I personally don't go to gawk at other people, but rather we go to enjoy the park and our family time. No visual of any human body has impacted our enjoyment, our togetherness, or our fun at a water park. It's just a non-issue for our family but maybe it is different in yours and you can not go or prepare your son any way you see fit.

As strange as it may seen, many of us who don't really care about thongs, don't have to picture anyone in them. We've actually seen average Americans in thongs. Gasp! And while it's not necessarily attractive, it's no big deal, either.

We aren't pro-thong (what a stupid phrase). We just don't get all freaked out if we or our kids see someone rear end.

Silly me, I assumed all these non-judgmental non uptight people could take a joke! Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter