I talk way too much Wonder Trip Report 5/7-5/10/09 *FOOD PICS ADDED!!*

spoilmygurl

Mouseketeer
Well we are back from our first cruise ever.
"We" include myself, DD8, and my companion (known from now on as DBF)

We had a GTY 12 booked in December on the kids sail free promo. Paid it off on the last possible day...got an upgrade to a 10 about 35 days before sailing.

THURSDAY
I had FL tours provide a limo for transportation from MCO to the port. I had the driver holding a sign with DD’s name on it but alas-didn’t take a picture :sad1:
i3yki9.jpg

We were in line at the port before they started checking in, and it started around 10:30? (maybe, that's pretty much a guess) We were next in line waiting to be called to the counter because they were all full. A CM went down the row of everyone at the counter and passed them all out #2 boarding passes. We check-in, the CM tells us to see the lady handing out boarding passes to people who were just now getting in line to get our pass. She hands it to us, and it's a #4. As an Aries, I have no poker face at all. The term "written all over your face" applies to me perfectly. So I guess she could tell by my face that I was not the happiest camper with #4. The CM crossed it out and put a "2" and initialed it. We got to board with the two's. (yay me)

We had embarkation lunch at Parrot Cay. The strawberry soup was my favorite thing. Tasted like a smoothie. I don't really remember what else we ate

We hung out until the room was ready, checked it out and approved at that moment. NOTE: We were in room 2039. It was right below Wavebands/Route 66 (never could cement the name in my head) The noise was horrible! I could hear the music and the thumping was like people jumping up and down. (which they may have been I guess). I will NEVER book another cruise without taking into consideration the cabin location. I would be sleeping, and the noise would actually wake me up. Terrible for those couple of hours. We also did the muster drill. *note: all events in the report are not totally sequential. I will try though.*
w6xro5.jpg

My DD8 tried to instantly take advantage of all the Disney programming on the TV. Uh-uh honey. We didn't pay for you to watch television. Once the kids club opened, we dropped her off there. But before that I tried to change the dining rotation. The story of how this went deserves a paragraph all it's own.

So....I go to Wavebands to change our late PTA to late APT. Our KTTW card says table #8. I'm told the ship is full so there are no guarantees-they will call the room by 5 and let me know. At around 3 I get a voicemail saying "lucky duck-you get to have the early seating you wanted". Whoa!?! I didn't want early because we had excursions planned. I just wanted Tritons last so our final breakfast would be late as possible because our plane didn't leave until 1:47p, we were using DCL transfers to MCO, and I wanted to minimize the airport wait time as much as possible. I call the number to speak to someone regarding dining times-no answer. So we go to guest services. CM says we misunderstood, thought you wanted a different time, not rotation. He says he'll pass it to the restaurant manager of Animators. 5pm, haven't heard anything. So I go to Animators. Restaurant manager still doesn't grasp my request. Keeps saying he called me and told me we have early, we just can't have PTA. After much discussion, I just tell him, we will keep the rotation as long as we can have late dining. He says okay. So we go to Parrot Cay for our first dinner. Restaurant manager says "oh no, you have early seating. table #8. you missed it" So I kindly explain again that we never wanted early seating just a different rotation. He finds another table, assigning us to table 29. Servers are Joel and Tricia. (great people BTW) We are seated at a table for 8- nobody is at the table with us. They tell us the table we originally had (#8) was empty for the early seating. Nobody showed.
So here's the breakdown (all dinners unless otherwise specified)
parrot cay-table for 8, just us 3 at the table
tritons-table for 8, just us 3 at the table
animators-table for 8, DD didn't want to come, it was just us two at the table and surprisingly some table mates. A couple-no kids. I said "we've been missing you all week" to which they responded "oh no, we had early dining. We requested late and just now got it this last evening." So they weren't even the table mates we were missing.
Debarkation brekkie @ Animators- our same table for 8. Us 3, and now a totally different family. An older couple and what appeared to be their two grandchildren. The couple from the night before- no where in sight. CONFUSING!!! LOL.

Back to the report

We also did the jewelry buying presentation. I wanted to get the free charm bracelet for DD from diamonds international. Chad (the presenter) wasn’t too fond of knockoff purses. I say-point me in their direction. He didn’t. They did a raffle and DBF won the color changing nail polish from DelSol. Can you believe he tried to act as if he wasn't excited? Who wouldn't go gaga for glittery silver polish that turns red? Can't fool me buster!

FRIDAY
Drop DD off at the kids club b/c we have a sea lion encounter in Nassau scheduled. She wanted no parts of it. It was fun. The water was cold. The sea lions were HUGE. You pet them, hug, kiss, and learn a lot of facts about them. It was worth the money I think.
We got back around 2, changed, picked DD up and had lunch. Then we headed off to shop in Nassau and take DD around to sightsee and get pictures and such.
disney002.jpg
disney003.jpg

2v7ut10.jpg

23sssr9.jpg

We went to the Pirate party. DD was all the way down by the stage. I stayed on deck 10 and watched her. I didn’t actually look at the buffet. I did have DBF go take a peek. He brought me back some slices of ham and one of these:
14mdycg.jpg

I didn’t like it *cowers from the turkey leg stans* lol

SATURDAY
Castaway Cay.
mwtdvk.jpg

We got in the line to see Donald Duck. The photog tells DD "come on up". Before the "up" is out of his mouth, the rude lady behind us says "STEP UP!" I told her to zip it. (not in those words but the effect of what I actually said is lost in text. And though I didn't cuss her, she understood very clearly that I did not appreciate her rudeness) If your children are so miserable standing in the heat of the line, maybe you should be a better parent and not make them. *Steps off the soap box*
3495enb.jpg

DD doesn't know how to swim and screamed and cried like a maniac every lesson. So we have decided to hold off for a while. But she did wade into the water up to her belly button. (yay her). She loved the beach. I loved being able to give her that experience. It was my first time ever seeing the ocean myself.
21rk1g.jpg

1431cms.jpg

2r5zwnn.jpg

We parasailed while she went to Scuttles Cove. That was the best! The guys driving the boat were really nice. First they told me and DBF to go tandem. Remember what I said earlier about my lack of a poker face? They let us go separate. It was great fun. They dipped me too which I really hoped they would do.
11975lz.jpg

21lv59z.jpg

We ate at Cookies. Nothing was overly spectacular but the apple spice cake. It was super yummy. I had a stingray simply because I wanted the coconut cup and DBF said they were buy1get1 free. I only have an alcoholic beverage maybe once or twice a year. I’m 120lbs and cannot handle the liquor. Plus, I don’t like the taste of alcohol. I only like the fruity drinks, but I dislike most of the flavors. I hate passionfruit, papaya, mango, guava, basically all the fruity liquor flavors. The stingray was pineapple and cranberry.
aemeeh.jpg

The soft serve was good. I asked DBF to bring both- half in each cup. He brings one cup. He says “you didn’t want them mixed?” No goof. I don’t want my chocolate chip cookie dough mixed with my strawberry frozen yogurt. Maybe after I try them independently. Lol.
We all swam, and made a sad attempt at constructing sand castles. It's one of those things that is harder than it looks
2ag5fs0.jpg

13z9828.jpg

10e4y0i.jpg

Then we headed back to the ship and hung out. DBF and I saw EARTH in the theater that evening. DD paged us after she got sleepy in the club. DBF went and got her (he wasn’t too into the movie) and she joined us for the second half. We sat in the back row on the end just in case we didn’t like the movie, we could leave early and not disturb anyone. There was a lady who sat with her two children in the area reserved for those with wheelchairs. The little girl who was maybe four was talking soooo much. The mother was talking just as much. She only spoke Spanish so I don’t even know if she was explaining to the little girl that it is not polite to talk in the movies. I doubt that was the subject of the conversation though. They were just talking away like they were at the Mickey pool or something. I think someone must have complained because I noticed a CM hovering. Then after many many dirty looks from other folks in the theater, she collected her children and left.
Although I had intentions of doing Dreams and Toy Story, once the time rolled around, I just didn't feel like it. DD wanted to live in the kids club, and I had really planned it for her. Since she wasn't around, I just wanted to relax.

Next installment….some food pictures!!!

Great trip report - love your writing style!

DH and I are planning to parasail next month, but I'm sweaty hands and feet nervous. Why didn't you want to ride tandem with DBF? Looking forward to reading more about the trip.

P.S. Your pictures are great, and your daughter is beautiful! Glad you got to see the ocean for the first time.

DBF is a super mush. If we would've rode tandem, he would've been mumbling I love you's in my ear the whole time. :scared:

Plus I wasn't scared, I was excited to do it. I wouldn't have felt like I got my money's worth if we did tandem. If you do tandem, one person should be able to pay half price I think. If you skydive tandem, they don't charge you the same as they would when you jump alone. But if you're nervous, I'm think tandem would be the way to go.

And :grouphug: to you for all the sweet things you said!

I'm loving the TR! Can't wait to read more.

That apple spice cake at Cookies BBQ was phenomenal!!! Oh and the chunks of cookie dough in the soft serve...I was very impressed with that! :thumbsup2

Oh this is going to be a good one!
Also an Aries here and have switched over to using a poker face :rotfl2:
Looking forward to reading more. Your daughter has a beautiful smile, she looks as sweet on the inside as she is beautiful on the outside.

What a beautiful family you have. Love the trip report and your pictures are beautiful. What a treasure that one is with your daughter on the hammock with sand lightly sprinkled on her face. love it!

My daughter was also on this cruise. Maybe you saw them,lol. Mom, dad, and two beautiful little girls, 2 and 5. The older one had her whole head braided on the ship (she wanted the whole head done, :rotfl: then was kinda sorry when she realized how much time it took).

Waiting for more...it's our turn to go (on the 4 day) a wk. Sunday. YAY!!! :cool1:

Can't wait for more. You're doing a great job! :thumbsup2

What a beautiful family you have. Love the trip report and your pictures are beautiful. What a treasure that one is with your daughter on the hammock with sand lightly sprinkled on her face. love it!

My daughter was also on this cruise. Maybe you saw them,lol. Mom, dad, and two beautiful little girls, 2 and 5. The older one had her whole head braided on the ship (she wanted the whole head done, :rotfl: then was kinda sorry when she realized how much time it took).

Waiting for more...it's our turn to go (on the 4 day) a wk. Sunday. YAY!!! :cool1:

Did she have cornrows across the top and single braids in the back? Blondish hair? I saw a little girl with it like that and I had to ask her mom how long it took. She said an hour and a half. Now as an african american woman, I've had my fair share of experience with braids. That is a very short amount of time for those types of braids. I wished I woul'dve gotten DD's hair braided on the ship instead of home when she told me that.

*Photos taken with a Polaroid i1035. There's a "food" setting on the camera. All of the really good food pics- taken when the camera was set to "food"*

I completely forgot to take food pictures until Day 2. I said “ACK!!! The disboard!!” I know how we stalk food pics like crazies. I didn’t take any buffet food pics or Cookies food pics. Sorry.But here’s everything I have.

*Disclaimer: DBF and I are very simple people. We tried a lot of new things because we are adventurous. Very rarely do we actually like the new things though. We both grew up on comfort foods. So please take our opinions on the food with a grain of salt and just try to enjoy the pictures:goodvibes*

Casual Dining:
Cinnamon Panini from Goofys’. The middle is some type of cinnamony buttery spread with walnuts. It was really good. After I bit it, I thought to myself “Self, you must open it to see what is the source of this Panini’s goodness”.
16hj51e.jpg

28wcoer.jpg

Cajun Chicken Sandwich and Fries from Plutos: This is DBF’s. I had one the day before and I guess it looked good enough to him to make him want one too. The chicken was flavored really well. Not spicy-just flavorful. I don’t really eat hot foods so anything remotely close to spicy is hot to me. I.E. pepperonis. I don’t know what happened to his bun. Counting carbs maybe? Lol.
1kthl.jpg

Spicy Beef Wrap from Goofy’s: I thought it would be warm because there was steam in the display case. It was a cold wrap. Still good. The beef was tender. But I hate onions and there were red onions. This wasn’t spicy either.
350jedu.jpg

Dinners:
Tritons
Appys
1. Escargot….It was very garlicky. There seemed to be a thin layer of melted cheese on top. DD ate one snail-deemed it unacceptable. Then proceeded to scrape off the top layer of each one and eat that. The snails themselves were chewier than I expected. It wasn’t really nasty but I had much more of a mental block than I anticipated and was only able to down one.
mrcl76.jpg

2. Jumbo shrimp…I guess my palate is just not that sophisticated. I didn’t like any of the seafood. Not the crab claws, the peel and eat shrimp, or these. They were so fresh. Not fishy tasting. Just really really fresh. I live in Indiana. Unless you pay big bucks for seafood here- you’re not getting the catch of the day (get me?) I’m so used to a muted seafood taste that I just could never get into any of it. The sauce next to it- horseradish would describe it best I guess.
2pyz78w.jpg

3. French Onion Soup….I already told you guys that I don’t like onions. Both DD and DBF ordered this. She thought it was okay. He ate all of his, then finished hers. Said it was the best thing ever
2mpgygo.jpg

Main Courses
1. Lobster Mac & Cheese…If you look in the center, you can see the only two pieces of lobster in the whole dish. I thought the sauce would be creamy but it was dry. Like it had sat out and thickened too much. I didn’t really care that there were only 2 pieces of lobster (I didn’t like it anyway) but those of you looking forward to it~ be aware. The other pieces on the plate were baby shrimp.
PICT0096.jpg

2. Farm Raised Chicken Breast…DBF doesn’t eat red meat so he chose this. He said it was good. I don’t even think he tried the couscous. It was his first time eating asparagus, and according to him- the last. Lol.
PICT0097.jpg

3. Chicken Strips from the kids meal for DD….pretty self-explanatory
PICT0095.jpg

Desserts
1. Trio with chocolate mousse, crème brulee, and some cream filled thingamabob. Mousse was the best. Our palates prefer simple.
PICT0103.jpg

2. Something our server Joel had us try. Give me a name, I’ll edit it in. It pretty much looked just like that after we tasted it. The center was too much like warm milk. I don’t like milk either.
PICT0104.jpg

3. Mickey Bar for DD….she about had a panic attack once Joel put the chocolate syrup face on. She thought she had died and gone to heaven. Lol
PICT0099.jpg

Animators
Appys:
1. Tuna tartare and Caviar…lol for me even ordering this. I guess I was feeling like this guy :snooty: If you look very closely, you can see the tiny itty bitty corner I tried and hated. It was a cold dish. Very seafoody, very fresh, very not me.
PICT0205.jpg

2. Flatbread…DBF’s. He said it was too sweet and he didn’t like it. I’m not sure how many bites in he made that decision. You can see how much he had already eaten when I remembered to take the picture.
PICT0206.jpg

3. Chilled Gazpacho soup w/ fresh veggies….I thought this was very tasty. I like tomato soup. That’s what it tasted like to me. I didn’t add the veggies or taste the bread. I was suspicious that onions might have been mixed amongst the vegetables so I nixed them.
PICT0207.jpg

4. Confetti Tomato Salad…DBF’s. He didn’t like it. I was so into my gazpacho- I didn’t catch the reason why.
PICT0208.jpg

Main Courses:
1. Lemon Herb Chicken breast over mashed potatoes…I thought the mashed potatoes were delicious. I’m not a big fan of chicken on a bone. Too many “slobbery” parts as DD puts it. I think the potatoes were sour cream flavored.
PICT0209.jpg

2. Five Spice Fish…DBF’s. He didn’t like it. He wouldn’t even touch the rice. He didn’t trust it because it was rolled into a ball. He’s such a noob. Even I know that it was sticky rice, used for sushi and such. That’s why it’s rollable.
PICT0210.jpg

Desserts
1. Apple Crumble….Finally comfort food! Just like apple cobbler/crisp made by mom. Except my mom just used regular vanilla ice cream. Not the fancy schmanzy kind with vanilla beans. Lol. It got two thumbs up from me and jealous looks from DBF.
PICT0211.jpg

2. Trio…DBF’s. See why he was jealous? Lol. Cranberry orange cheesecake, chocolate cake, and a passion fruit tart. The chocolate cake had the consistency of fudge which was unexpected. But since I like fudge, it was tasty.
PICT0212.jpg

Room Service

1. BLT…DD ordered this. She ate half of it and the fries. There was a lot of bacon on it which surprised me.
PICT0218.jpg

2.Turkey & Cheese…DBF’s. He ate the whole thing. He thought the turkey was really good. But was bummed he couldn't get provolone instead of american cheese.
PICT0220.jpg

3. All Hands on Deck…my cheese platter. The crackers were savory and crisp. DD loves those Baby Bell cheeses. She ate that and the strawberry.
PICT0217.jpg

4. Oatmeal Raisin Cookies….DBF is the only one who tried them. I don’t know if they were soft or crisp. He’s not here at the moment for me to ask him :sad1:
PICT0221.jpg

Debarkation Breakfast
Animators

1. Belgium Waffles w/ Bacon…DD and I had the same thing. Delicious. I wanted her bacon but she wouldn’t give it to me. Grrr.
PICT0225.jpg

2. Omelet….DBF’s. I think it’s like salsa and vegetables or something. There might be chicken in it as well. He loved it though. He got on my nerves trying to eat it slow and savor it.
PICT0226.jpg

Well that’s all folks. I appreciate you tuning in. Have fun on all your future jaunts to all places Disney!

Thanks so much for posting these great pictures. Loved reading the description that went with each pic too! :thumbsup2

I was so looking forward to the lobster mac and cheese - not anymore. Looks like it should be a side dish not a main dish. The food in the room service pics look very tasty. I am so hungry right now ... :rotfl:

Thanks for posting the photos and the descriptions. I believe I will be trying some of those items in 2 weeks. Yummy.

Thanks

Oh those food pictures make me long to be back. I don't know about anyone else, but everything I ate I loved. That onion soup was SOOOOO good. Your food camera setting rocks!

We were on a week or two before you. I want to go back :)

Thanks for the pics. Your truthful comments crack me up! I would have been all over the Tuna tartar and caviar! Hopefully the cruise was better than the food. To tell you the truth, although this will be our 3rd DCL cruise in a row coming up next week, the food is not our Main attraction. The food quality has been great but the taste not so hot. Other cruise lines have better food like Celebrity but DCL has the whole package which caters to the "family" experience.

Thanks again for the posts!

I love your honest comments about the food, also. I think you and I have very similar tastes, so this will help me a lot when I go next month.

I really enjoyed reading your trip report. I'm a little surprised about this trip being your first trip to the ocean. You poor thing!

Wonderful pictures. I'm sure I'll be back to "virtually" enjoy the food. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter