I Survived! a Dopey Marathon 2016 Report

Loved your half review since I think I already forget parts of it (how is that possible?). I started in F too and my finish time was just a few minutes slower than you (it was probably that loooong Peter Pan line.haha) but I'm guessing we crossed paths because I remember some of the people in your photos.

How awful about the food! :( Talk about terrible timing! Looking forward to the next update

Wow, great photos! :) Love the Skyway costume, that was one of my favorites as a kid. But I was glad when they finally built the Rapunzel rest area because the empty building next to Small World always seemed so sad and a reminder of what once was.

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning episode. It can be so difficult to stay on target nutrition-wise at Disney anyway, and then to eat something that is supposedly healthy and have it cause issues is horrible! I had an episode from California Grill once, and I'll never go back because of it. Looking forward to your marathon recap, especially since you're going in to it with a major setback.

So many great pictures in your half review! I love that picture you got at the end with the medal centered in the all-star star. Great idea! Oh no- that's terrible luck to get sick! However, I'm going to be optimistic and guess from your title that you made it through the marathon (even if it wasn't pretty.) Can't wait to hear!

Yet another great and unique costume idea. Just love it. You got some great photos as well. I'm so terribly sorry to hear you got sick. I can't imagine then having to get up and run a marathon. :(

Oh my! I'm so sorry you got sick. I hope you make it through the marathon!
Thanks for reading along. Yeah, who knew, it was like the last thing I thought would happen. I have never had food poisoning or whatever it was in my life.

Loved your half review since I think I already forget parts of it (how is that possible?). I started in F too and my finish time was just a few minutes slower than you (it was probably that loooong Peter Pan line.haha) but I'm guessing we crossed paths because I remember some of the people in your photos.

How awful about the food! :( Talk about terrible timing! Looking forward to the next update
But, that Peter Pan picture you got I'm sure was worth it! Thanks for reading along, I bet we crossed paths too.

Wow, great photos! :) Love the Skyway costume, that was one of my favorites as a kid. But I was glad when they finally built the Rapunzel rest area because the empty building next to Small World always seemed so sad and a reminder of what once was.

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning episode. It can be so difficult to stay on target nutrition-wise at Disney anyway, and then to eat something that is supposedly healthy and have it cause issues is horrible! I had an episode from California Grill once, and I'll never go back because of it. Looking forward to your marathon recap, especially since you're going in to it with a major setback.
I know I was glad they finally got rid of the dead skyway buildings too. Yeah, I really don't see myself ever going back to Pecos anytime soon for sure. I did complain there and told the manager everything else I had in the last 24 hours as well, he seemed to take me seriously so that was nice. We didn't even get snacks or desserts that sometimes can be too rich before the races, but things happen I guess.

So many great pictures in your half review! I love that picture you got at the end with the medal centered in the all-star star. Great idea! Oh no- that's terrible luck to get sick! However, I'm going to be optimistic and guess from your title that you made it through the marathon (even if it wasn't pretty.) Can't wait to hear!
Yeah, I have a picture obsession during races as I want to savor it all, but I did cull before posting at least. Oh yeah it's not pretty, but a humbling experience to say the least!

Yet another great and unique costume idea. Just love it. You got some great photos as well. I'm so terribly sorry to hear you got sick. I can't imagine then having to get up and run a marathon. :(
Thanks, I went with obscure as my brother did too, he went as a Beagle Boy, Davy Crockett, & a Medfield basketball player for the first three. I think I jinxed myself by doing the Dopey picture after the half, ooops! You would be surprised what you can do though, it sounds bad now but at the time I was so determined I think my mind went on some weird autoplay.

I really enjoyed the Half as it was my very first half marathon. It looks like yours was enjoyable as well until you got sick of course. I don't know how I would've been able to push through but I probably would have.

I watched the awards a bit too and couldn't believe the same guy who won the half also won the 5k and 10k an then Jeff Galloway's son came in second!

I really enjoyed the Half as it was my very first half marathon. It looks like yours was enjoyable as well until you got sick of course. I don't know how I would've been able to push through but I probably would have.

I watched the awards a bit too and couldn't believe the same guy who won the half also won the 5k and 10k an then Jeff Galloway's son came in second!
Yes the race was very enjoyable! I really like the half distance because it's not as daunting to train for as a full but still a amazing race to conquer. I know crazy to win 3 of the races. I just think those Donald trophies are too cool! I'm sure you could push through too, it's crazy what one can make themselves do.

Marathon Time....Just make it to the start....

Dear old Baymax said get up again at 2:45am. I really had no problem waking up even though I hadn't really slept much. I had stopped throwing up but still had south end issues, sorry I know it's gross. I just laid on my bed and watched the time on the TV Disney resort station get closer to 3:45 when we needed to leave. I really need to eat, but my stomach was saying no, but managed to eat a couple saltine crackers and drank some coke.

After the Half I felt good and thought "Hey, I think I'll make my full goal 5:00-5:15 or at least beating 2015's full time of 5:12, where I had the flu (Type A) and stopped for more characters. The thing is with that my stomach was fine. In the short term of things running with the flu was easier than running with food illness as I could at least eat/drink, but in the long term I recovered from the food illness in a matter of days where the flu was a month long ordeal. I think I'm jinxed with WDW marathons!

Here's our room , I thought it smelled like feet after the Half, hahaha!
full001.JPG

My older brother showed up a little early to our room, very hyper and excited, and I was just a mess. I almost walked out without my bib on, that would have sucked, but at least I got dressed and had on the right shoes. I got a bottle of coke to bring and we made it on a bus and somehow I was in my corral at 5:00am. I had brought a throw away hoodie but stuck it in the gear back right away as it was just too humid for it.

full002.JPG

Oh Coke, you got me through this marathon! Water and PowerAde just didn't sit well, but the coke did and at least it had calories and sugar! I got down a couple more saltine crackers too & visited the portopot more, like really not cool. I just sat there at the back of my corral F as I didn't know how I would be starting.
full003.JPG

The first corrals went off, the whole thing started about 5-7 minutes late actually today.
full004.JPG

Here goes nothing! By golly gee I was starting this thing even though my stomach said no, it was cramping and very empty of actual food and I felt weak. The Orlando Sentinel has a picture of me at the start clutching my coke even, it's quiet pathetic :0
full005.JPG

Oh boy Mile 1. I had started off with intervals of 1:00/:30, but that didn't last long as the running just made me start to almost throw up and I knew if I was going to finish I couldn't over do it after first being under fueled. I then turned to more of just a fast walk, staying all the way to the side. It was weird how it would start to get kind of quiet then another corral would pass me, and another, and another.

full007.JPG

Oh Magic Kingdom, I think I walked it all. At least I was getting my money's worth of course time today! I saw Sebastian & then Lumiere and so wanted to stop, but couldn't lose time as I was determined to get under 7 hours, the pace requirement.

full008.JPG

I really liked how went into New Fantasyland and down by Big Thunder to then loop out of the park in the Full this year. The Half didn't do these things.

After Magic Kingdom, look at all those cups. I would try to drink PowerAde and it cramped up my stomach and I would gag on it as well as the water. Luckily I think I got a little down. At some point I tried a Clif Gu and that was a waste as I only got a teeny bit down. My mouth got so dry between stops, so what I couldn't drink I at least swished around and then spit out. I also started dumping water on myself, like I never do this, hey maybe it would soak into my skin, I don't know. The humidity was crazy at 100% too.
full009.JPG

We passed these guys and I guess the waste management plant. It didn't really bother me this year, maybe I was so on auto pilot I didn't notice things. Sometimes a breeze would come through which was nice and I got a few shuffle run spurts in here and there.

full010.JPG

We entered Animal Kingdom in Harambe Market area this year which as new and gave us a little more AK time! It smelled like food and that made me almost loose it as my stomach coiled. But it was still cool to run through.
full011.JPG

We got to see the Tree this year at least!

full012.JPG

Some people were heading to Everest to ride it. Yeah, no I couldn't do that even if I felt good.
full013.JPG

Animal Kingdom was my slowest mile, like almost 19 minutes, but my others were all under 16 or right at it, so at the half I was 3:28, woohoo ahead of pace barely! I had my phone texting me our tracking so even though I was doing watch splits, I could look at that too know my actual overall pace without having to calculate in my head, that was a mess anyway.

My mom called on the way to Wide World, that was funny actually as I never would normally talk on the phone in a race, but I guess it helped keep me going. I cried a lot too.
Yeah, I was like in lane 0, hahaha, going around!
full014.JPG

I really wanted to stop for Goofy, but nope, I just kept going. I got in some more running here and there and overall didn't mind Wide World at all this year even though we're in there for 3 miles.
full015.JPG

We step out on the road for a little while, only to go back into Wide World. My upper back was really hurting at this point and my shins, I think from all the 'fast' walking I was attempting. So, I pulled off a couple times to apply Tiger Balm basically everywhere. Surprisingly my glute injury wasn't too bad.

full016.JPG

For some reason I like running or well walking around baseball fields, I like the soft dirt.

full018.JPG

Meanwhile, both my brothers had already finished. That was slightly depressing to know as my phone alerted me. My older brother left with his family as we had made an ADR for Garden Grill and while I wasn't going to it for sure, they might as well. My younger brother did wait around for me, poor guy, that as a long wait, so he did a lot of people watching as in below!

full019.JPG

Leaving Wide World, and yes I think that is the end of the race. Wow, it was a humbling experience to be farther back, as normally I'm a middle of the pack runner. By starting in F I knew I had a buffer over the sweepers, but I still wanted that under 7 hours or 16mm pace. So onward I went getting some runs in and 'fast' walking oh and crying as my stomach cramped up the whole time.
full020.JPG

full021.JPG

I only got pictures of a couple markers. I was pretty sure at this point my back was going to snap it hurt so bad and I was really dehydrated and just not normal feeling at all. Like it was other worldy I guess. I knew though if I made it to Studios it was all cool stuff ahead!

full022.JPG

Continued in next post....

Last edited:
Marathon Continued...

Oh Tower of Terror you never looked so beautiful! They handed out Dove chocolates entering Studios, but no way was I getting one down. Oh and they handed out sponges at Wide World, that was nice. I always pass on the bananas at the two stops they had and I didn't take any Gus on course. I had brought 3 of my own and wasted the one trying to eat it. Normally I would eat Gus multiple times on course and drink at every stop, which is the smart thing to do.

full023.JPG

I hadn't stopped for any character and was bummed so when I saw Boo with like barely a line I said, "why not, I've got the time I've luckily built up to still get under 7 hours" I was Eggplant from Kitchen Kabaret. My poor pink arm sleeves only stayed on for like 2 miles as the humidity was just too much for me to keep them on. The back of the shirt said "Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit". And I realized later I didn't sweat much at all , which is bad, the wet on my shirt is just from me dumping water on myself. Normally, my hair would be soaked from sweat, it was fairly dry when I finished, ooops.

full024.JPG

Way more crowded then when I came though here in 2015. We had also passed through the disco tunnel in the backlot area, it sort of made me woozy this year with the dark and flashing lights.

full025.JPG

full026.JPG

I love running, or walking as I think I was doing here, down Studios main street!

full027.JPG

full028.JPG

After leaving Studios, we pass through the Yacht and Beack club resorts. I love this with all the fans out cheering! I got some more shuffle running in and walked as fast I could. By golly it's so close!
full029.JPG

I started taking more pictures and video when we had hit Studios because I had slacked for the most part earlier.
full030.JPG

Yay! Epcot, finally! Ok, so the countries seemed to take me forever and I was really trying to shuffle run more.
full032.JPG

Wow, so the beer smell in Germany was not cool, my stomach almost lost it as I gagged my way past. I'm not a beer drinker at all, so I tried to get past here fast, well fast as I could muster.

full033.JPG

full034.JPG

Oh yes, Scrooge! I had to stop as I didn't see him during half, which I guess he was out sometimes, but not when I had passed. Both my brothers had stopped for him too earlier, we love our Ducks!
full035.JPG

Isn't the ball a beaut!
full036.JPG

So close, I hear the chorus!

full037.JPG

Mile 26 never looked so good!
full038.JPG

I think I cried some more here, I cried a log today :)
full039.JPG

I love his tank top in front of me here! "Didn't they say 2.6 mile?"
full040.JPG

And I ran it in! Then this medic guy kind of talked to me and before I knew it I had my medal and was in the medic tent. I don't remember, but watching the marathonfoto finish of me I guess I grabbed my back, seriously it killed, and kind of swayed. So, I guess I looked bad to the medic. In the medic tent they took my vitals and I explained my food illness and lack of food/hydration. I got a bottle of water down and after 20 minutes left. It was probably good I ended up in there as if I had just kept walking I probably wouldn't have drank anything. I had really chilled up so they had a blanket in there too and then I left wrapped in a mylar.

full041.JPG

I finally found my poor brother who had waited for me forever. My older brother and his family were returning to EPCOT for their ADR so we met them for a quick chat, but seriously I needed to get to a bathroom for that south end issue. Not cool still.
full042.JPG

full043.JPG

Made it back to Sports and basically just laid there, sort of showered and tried to eat a bit, but really just fell asleep I guess, it kind of all just blurred together into "I am just so glad I made it"

Marathon Time = 6:50. No PR by any means, but I made it under 7 and that's all that mattered to me today and I got my Goofy and Dopey medals :)

Continued in Next Post...

Last edited:
Marathon & end of trip continued....

While I didn't get to a park after the marathon, technically I did visit all 4 during the marathon!

Monday came and I got a little breakfast down and we headed to Animal Kingdom.
This was my first actually meal of real food at the new Harambe Market, I got the veggie stack, and the chickpea salad went down really well. My hydration was still a problem and finally later at Magic Kingdom I forced myself to drink a bottle of water and PowerAde. I won't go into details but my tip is don't let yourself get that dehydrated, it is not cool.
full050.JPG

That night we ate dinner at Riverside. I missed out Saturday night getting past there with everyone. This hit the spot!

full051.JPG

It's funny I kept waking up at 2:30-3:00 every morning after the races anyway. My back was still killing, but luckily it went back to normal after about a week.

Tuesday came and we headed to Epcot and this meal at Morocco was great, I couldn't stomach the nan bread but the rest was great. For the most part I was almost back to normal luckily.
full052.JPG

Then we hopped to Animal Kingdom and rode the safari one last time, I love how the lions were out and up on the rock! 2 females and 1 male were out.

full054.JPG

Wednesday came, boo our last day! We started off at Magic Kingdom and ate lunch at Pinocchio's, this was tasty. The night before we ate dinner at Cosmic Rays (we do 3 parks a lot in a day) and it didn't sit well, it was the salad and I think too tangy for my system maybe. Plus, it was kind of a zoo in there and smelled weird. So, Pinocchio's flat bread was much better for this lunch.
full053.JPG

We then hopped to EPCOT where my brother got pooped on by a bird and it was on his Dopey shirt. I laughed so hard, I know I shouldn't have, but it was funny, and it did come out so was fine in the end.

We then hopped to Studios to see the Star Wars fireworks again. I loved these, very well done!
full048.JPG

We also enjoyed the Launch Bay. We did Vader visit with Visa one day with no wait and then Chewbacca twice with little wait in the evening.
full047.JPG

So, that's a wrap. We then flew out Thursday morning to return to cold & snow!

A few last pics:

Loved the Osborne lights and glad we got to see them.
full056.JPG

All-Star Sports was great for what we use the resort for. Our view here!

full055.JPG

Oh and the Marathon medal of course

full044.JPG

And Goofy Challenge medal, I love this one as Goofy is my favorite after Dumbo!

full045.JPG

And the Dopey Challenge medal!
full046.JPG

After the first 3 races I thought I was 'golden' for the marathon, get character photos, have fun & meet a certain time goal! Crazy, how that changed so fast and my goal turned into getting to the start at least.

The whole Dopey Challenge was a blast! I will say that it should not be taken on without proper training. My injury derailed me, but I had build up a good base all year. This was my 3rd Full by the way. That 16 minute/mile pace is not a leisurely walk as some may say, I had to bust my butt maintaining that, so if you take on this challenge make sure you are training well under that 16, just in case injury or illness should creep up on you and you do have to go slower! Also, practice some walking, maybe it was luck I got injured and had to train the last month and half with walk intervals so I was more prepared for all the walking I did, who knows, but I guess it all worked out in the end!

One last thing the race Volunteers are amazing out there, so thanks to all of them!
Good Luck to anyone who takes on the Dopey Challenge or any Race for that matter.

I really want to be back for 2017 for at least the Full as I need redemption after this years food illness and 2015's flu, I really need a healthy full at WDW!

And Mickey was randomly out with other characters by America, so that made some great photos ops with the bling! Thanks for reading, hope it was too gross about my illness!
full057.JPG

Last edited:
Enjoyed your trip report! Sorry you didn't feel well but it was inspiring to see how you pushed on!

Congratulations on a great accomplishment! It really stinks when you're as prepared as you can be for a race, and then something goes wrong - like getting food poisoning! Way to keep a positive attitude and get it done.

Woohoo! Great job despite everything! You definitely earned those medals. I'm contemplating goofy for 2017 maybe but probably not dopey but definitely dopey in 2018. I at least want to do the half next year for the 20th anniversary and I really want to run the full. Congrats again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter