I Shut Down Space Mountain (Omega) on Friday's MNSSHP

Artuero

Mouseketeer
I love Space Mountain and had a great time at MNSSHP, particularly with the light's out treatment of the ride. But I have a story about it too. I put my hands in the air as one does on a roller coaster and whop! My hand smashed into something. Ow that hurt! Well the ride goes on...and I am getting out at the end when I notice there is a fair amount of blood dripping down my arm to my clothes and the vehicle.

I mention to the operators that they might not want to put anyone else in my car because I had bled on it, even during a Halloween celebration. At some point they asked if I was okay, and I asked for some bandages since I was just standing there dripping blood. They did keep cycling the ride just leaving my car empty and told me that help was on the way. They didn't' have any bandages themselves but the cast member kindly got me some paper towels. I had a succession of people ask me for contact information and what happened, and eventually they shut down the Omega side altogether (I think this was after I told them that it just happened in the middle of the ride).

Well I was surprised that Disney did not have a better medical response. They told me to wait for the paramedics, but my kids went back out, through lines, back on the ride and got done before anyone came. I eventually gave up waiting and walked out. Now I think everything's going to heal up fine, but there was no one at the ride qualified to make a determination that I was not in need of more immediate treatment and certainly it would have been nice to have some first aid available on the spot. In the end I (no expert) felt that I just needed some antiseptic to clean the wound and some bandaids to patch it up, which I did get when I ran into the paramedics on the way out (probably a half hour later).

Anyway it was a great fun night overall and the first time I ever shut down a side of a ride. I hope they figured it out and got it back up running quickly-- and I hope they can also figure out how to get a bit more rapid and organized of a response.

I hope you got a tetanus booster- esp since you don’t know if what you cut yourself on was rusty.

Just curious, was this your first time riding Space Mountain? I feel like I'm going to be decapitated on this ride with how close the structure looks/feels to the ride vehicle...

At some time quickly they would have had to turn on the lights and run troubleshooting CMs through to see if some scenery or infrastructure had fallen into reach that should not have hung that low.

I hope you got a tetanus booster- esp since you don’t know if what you cut yourself on was rusty.
Ah good call. I'll check it out.

Just curious, was this your first time riding Space Mountain? I feel like I'm going to be decapitated on this ride with how close the structure looks/feels to the ride vehicle...
No in fact it was I think the fourth time in two days. But this one was in the dark so that could have contributed.

At some time quickly they would have had to turn on the lights and run troubleshooting CMs through to see if some scenery or infrastructure had fallen into reach that should not have hung that low.
I hope they did that. They really seemed to not know what to do. Maybe it was a different team or something than usual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter