• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

I really want to go on a cruise but...

Oglet

DIS Veteran
I really want to take my wife and Children on a Disney Cruise and after seeing the amazing prices that they have for CM's its something that is probably cheaper than many other alternatives but I have some concerns, well one major concern and its called Motion Sickness.

Experiences on boats in the past have not been kind to me, I once took a boat called the Spirit of Tasmania across Bass Straight and had to end up having the ships Dr visit and give me a shot, next thing I remember its the morning and we are pulling into Melbourne.

I can ride any roller coaster or ride without issue, flying and car sickness is not even a problem and never really as been, my only concern is if I could handle a 3 day cruise in the Caribbean.

I understand the DCL ships have very good stabilizers and are very good sized ships, combined with the normally calm waters around the Caribbean I am hoping that things would be okay.

Any experience, suggestions or input?

I would say go for it they have all kinds of things you can take for motion sickness like dramamine and several other things. I am sure some one else will tell you what they are called. I went last january and we had no problem at all, what a great cruise. Take them and enjoy your self

I am not motion sick, but, am afraid of water so I am going to take dramamine or something just to be sure....I am not taking any chances:)

I don't generally get motion sick on land, but have had a few issues-mainly uneasy feelings onboard. I use the scapalomine patch and have no issues at all (dr. prescription). They also have motion sick pill available on the ship at the medical center and guest services.

My husband suffers from benign positional vertigo -- he had to sleep perpendicular to the ships forward motion in order to not get sick while sleeping, he did also use the patch but it made his mouth very dry. Just drinks lots and lots of water, lots and lots. Alcohol use is based on personal experience -- it doesn't affect my husbands vertigo one way or the other, but some people it will make the problem worse.

Easy....meclizine for adults (get the generic at wal mart for like 7 dollars for 100.

Chewable bonine for the kids.

Start the day before you leave.

With a family of extremely motion sick individuals, we never have a problem, even on the times we had very rough seas.

I'm a little nervous about motion sickness, too. So I'm going to stock up on all the OTC medicines and get the patch, too. I've never been on a cruise before but all my friends tell me they are much smoother than the little boats I've been on and I shouldn't have a problem.

It would be a tragedy to allow something as treatable as motion sickness to prevent you from going on something as wonderful as a Disney cruise. This is coming from someone who suffers from severe motion sickness. Talk to your doctor and book your trip, you won't regret it!

We just got back last week from our first cruise and none of the family had ever been on a ship. We weren't sure how we'd react to the rocking of the boat. Turns out the first night was the worst, and that wasn't even that bad at all. You could feel it slowly rocking back and forth, but nothing to cause anything to fall off tables etc. It was actually nice and you got used to it once we laid down. A spa member told us that it only lasts a little bit once we first set sail. We brought Dramamine with us but never had to touch the stuff. Most of the time unless you really paid attention, you couldn't even tell you were moving.

Don't let motion sickness stop you. I felt the same way. I started taking Bonine a couple of days before the trip and continued a couple of days after and I was ok. The first night I was a little off, but not bad. Be sure to eat something first thing in the morning as that helps.

I was going to use the scopalamine patch on our first cruise. I had one issue with it though: it dilates your pupils and made reading difficult for me. I had started it early just to test for side effects. I took it off and didn't use anything else. First cruise I had no problems (Mediterranean) We've had 2 more. The 3 night Bahamas cruise I had no problem with. The 7 night caribbean (Eastern, I think) we had some choppy seas the first night. My DH went to the gift shop and got my DD some medicine and me the sea-band. That worked very well for me. (Covered elastic band with a plastic nub that hits the accupressure point on your wrist.) When we go back again, I'll be sure to bring it with me.

I suffer from motion sickness as well. Just got back from my first cruise, a 4 night Bahamas. Bonine worked great for me. Start the day before you travel (including your flight). I also took the homeopathic medicine "tabac" the first two days. And I ordered ginger ale whenever possible. I've tried them, but SeaBands are too tight for me.

People who say you can't feel the ship moving b/c of stabilizers or whatever, LIE! :goodvibes I knew when we were moving and when we weren't, esp. the first night. I could really feel the rocking then, but I never felt queasy from it due to the Bonine. Bonus: it's non-drowsy.

Funny story - that first night we kept hearing a weird noise in the cabin. We finally figured out it was the wooden hangers clanging together in the closet!

Regina

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter