I really dont understand

Bring a water bottle ask for ice or get some out of the machine. Its free.

Then some restaurants have fountains in the seating areas. Not all of them, but I know Zocalo, French Market, and Tomorrowland Terrace has them.

Best and easiest way to save money when it comes to water.

While I've never been charged for tap water, I have been to a few restaurants (counter service places) that give me literally a tiny paper Dixie cup of it. Ir t's a clear message to me that they want you buying soda or bottled water instead!
Yes, I have experienced that, as well, but not charged for it.

I've been charged at Disneyland for a cup of ice water more then once. :-(
Then you should have asked for a supervisor. DL does not charge for ice water.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of restaurants that would refuse to serve water to someone who isn't otherwise a paying customer. At least at DL all the restaurants will do so upon request regardless of whether or not the guest is buying something.
Well, I don't think we are discussing walking up to a random restaurant and just asking for water. I believe we are discussing in the context of Disneyland. No?

I can't remember when or where because we now carry refillable bottles, but they had to charge me for the cup.
Now that I have seen lots of places.

- Dreams

I just today got my Camelbak filtered water bottle for our trip next week. I haven't tried it yet, but it has a filter in the straw. I've never had a problem getting water in a cup for DLR places and will fill up at the free spouts. But I have found the DLR water doesn't taste very good, so I'm hoping my filter bottle helps with that.

I've lived in CA all my life and never been charged for a glass of water at a restaurant. However, during droughts they won't bring you water unless you ask. But not charged.

I really think the only way you would be charged for water in a restaurant is if you don't specify "tap water" and they bring you bottled water. Tap water is free.

I learned several years ago to stop carting around bottles of water (or worse, buying them in the park!) and instead just walk up to any counter service place in Disneyland and order a tap water. I do it all the time, all day long there. I don't even order food from there! They always give it to me happily. I just ask for an "iced tap water".

What the big deal about free water is? I've never been refused water anywhere that I can think of. I do live in Canada though. Is this a US or California thing to only sell bottled water? Here if there is a tap, they give it for free. It's a good tip, don't get me wrong, but why do people seem so amazed by it? :confused:

I think it's just that in real life (wherever in North America you live), people as a rule don't generally decide to walk off the steet into the nearest restaurant, ask for a glass of water to go, and walk out. So DLR visitors don't think to do so, either.

I used to work at Busch Gardens and the water was given out in smaller cups-

Part of the reason is that the other cups were branded with "Pepsi" all over it. So you could literally only use Pepsi products inside the cups- some sort of legal issue.

Could be the same thing at other places.

I'm sure it's also that they want to charge for giving you a bigger cup. But still.

How about paper cones? Nothing says "Here's your water cheapskate," like getting served 4 ounces of water or ice in a cone cup that one can't even put down.

21d4FhXF8kL.jpg
I've never gotten a cone cup at DIsneyland. We generally get one of the Coke cups.

...I've lived in CA all my life and never been charged for a glass of water at a restaurant. However, during droughts they won't bring you water unless you ask. But not charged.
This has also been my experience. There are still places in SF that don't bring water unless you ask. Often they note it in the menu or they ask if you would like water, and explain about their conservation policy. As a California girl, I think this is a good idea. Water is a big deal here.
I've never gotten a cone cup at DIsneyland. We generally get one of the Coke cups.
Last week, all the water we got came in yellowish Disney cups. The cup size varied, depending on where we were. We got big cups in the place in DCA on the wharf. Everywhere else, it was smaller cups, but they would give you several, and were encouraging you to take two per person. They seemed downright friendly about water (it was really hot!!!!), if you ask me.

Really? I need to send you a new list of restaurants to frequent.

Burger King.

Some of the Burger King's around us are starting to charge for water. They used to give small free cups for water, but people have been abusing it and filling up those water cups with soda pop instead.

When I worked at McDonald's (eons ago), we could give out "courtesy cups" full of water. They were small and didn't hold much. If a customer wanted a regular cup of water, we would have to charge the price of a soda. Soda is pretty cheap in quantity. It's really the cup you're paying for at fast food places.

I worked at McDonalds in the late 80's early 90's and only charge 10, 15, 25 for the cup if a customer wanted a larger then the 4oz cup for water. Thankfully, now they are giving out 16oz cups for water.

Well, I don't think we are discussing walking up to a random restaurant and just asking for water. I believe we are discussing in the context of Disneyland. No?

That's the context, but the OP is wondering why it's a big deal to people. And I say that it can feel like a big deal when your non-Disney context shows you that restaurants do NOT give out free water. If that's what you're used to, or if you're used to getting a dixie cone-cup like in another post, then you don't even think that disney will do it happily.

I've asked for a water and have been directed to a tray with smaller cups all filled with ice water, ready to go at Disneyland and WDW. They are really lovely about it. And that's a surprise to someone who doesn't get that experience, especially if they are a NON customer of that restaurant otherwise.

That said, we bring bottles of water, because I have NO interest in either waiting in a line just for water OR cutting the line to get the water no matter if that's what I'm supposed to do. Now if they have the tray of waters off to the side, that's different. I'd rather have my water exactly when I want it.

That said, we bring bottles of water, because I have NO interest in either waiting in a line just for water OR cutting the line to get the water no matter if that's what I'm supposed to do. Now if they have the tray of waters off to the side, that's different. I'd rather have my water exactly when I want it.

I agree! We always order a case or two of bottled water for our Disney trips. I prefer more room temp water, and find it easier to carry a bottle and attach one onto my purse with a carbiner. That way, I always have access to fresh water and don't need to stand in a line to get more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter